Discussion: Will Tom Sestito Make The Team?

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Generally speaking, if you're trying to get value from a player or trying to trade a player... the last thing you'll say is "he did nothing". You want to show-case him before trading him.

For what Sestito can do, he did have a very good game tonight. But also remember he was playing against the Oilers. The other thing to note is he played 6 minutes tonight. No one else play less than 11:43 (Dorsett). In the MTL game, everyone played 12m plus too. Carolina game, Hansen was at the bottom @ 11:07. Notice the trend?

LMAO, dude denkiteki your hate is strong.

willie isn't the GM, he doesn't give a ***** if you trade em.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
LMAO, dude denkiteki your hate is strong.

willie isn't the GM, he doesn't give a ***** if you trade em.

He's part of the team so it benefits him in the long run if we get something for Sestito. Its basically giving more ammo for the GM to get more toys for Willie. Even a late round pick is better than nothing.

Also even though i'm not a fan of Sestito, i did say he played a great game today. As good as he probably could have played. That said, when you consider his limits and the other options we have, he's the odd man out.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Sestito was benched late in the 3rd not because of bad play but because Willie didn't want him out there protecting a lead.

Decent game considering the ice-time. Nice assist, no penalties, a few hits is pretty good for 6 minutes.

Still prefer Horvat getting in unless Sestito has a really good game tomorrow.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
From what I saw... Guy looks BIG on the ice... was trying to lay out whoever he could, couldn't connect on most, but I would anticipate timing issues, and he is not the quickest, but considering his size that is not surprising...

If he connects or not you better keep your head up, and I be braced to take a solid check if he is near the boards...

Not surprised he had less ice time, remember he has not played a game in a while, and you simply cannot practice and get conditioned for the physical game he plays... He is dead slow getting of the ice, he needs to work on that...

He will never be used to protect a lead, and we don't need every player to be used, most teams shorted the bench a hell of a lot more the Willie...

IMO it is good if not needed to have a guy like him up our sleeve

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Generally speaking, if you're trying to get value from a player or trying to trade a player... the last thing you'll say is "he did nothing". You want to show-case him before trading him.

For what Sestito can do, he did have a very good game tonight. But also remember he was playing against the Oilers. The other thing to note is he played 6 minutes tonight. No one else play less than 11:43 (Dorsett). In the MTL game, everyone played 12m plus too. Carolina game, Hansen was at the bottom @ 11:07. Notice the trend?

this is his first game after a 11 game absence. It's not a mystery as to why a coach would dial his ice time back.
Willie was complimentary to his play and pointed him out especially and mentioned that he was a great team and locker room guy
it's weird to read fans coming down on him after having a good game. is the glass always half empty with him for some fans?

Last edited:

arsmaster*

The fact that WD played him limited minutes despite regularly giving everyone at least 8-9 mins even in close games says a lot. His days are numbered, unless Benning is insisting to WD to keep him on the roster and playing him on some nights.

I don't think it say that much. The rest of the roster has had 10 games to get into shape.

Sestito has been sitting for a month.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wonder if Sestito pulled out of the hit. Smart move if he did, saved a penalty as his target turned his back on him.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I wonder if Sestito pulled out of the hit. Smart move if he did, saved a penalty as his target turned his back on him.

He did seem to kind of hurt himself.

It looked awkward as hell.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Well smart move if he did but based on the video, it looks like he just misjudge the play... :laugh:

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
this is his first game after a 11 game absence. It's not a mystery as to why a coach would dial his ice time back.
Willie was complimentary to his play and pointed him out especially and mentioned that he was a great team and locker room guy
it's weird to read fans coming down on him after having a good game. is the glass always half empty with him for some fans?

I get the feeling it's full of urine for many. I guess they got bored of Sbisa posts.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
The point is that his low minutes had more to do than just layoff rust.

The problem is, that is how the role of 13th forward works... just like how it works to be the 7th D. Like i said before, Weber stepped right in and played his regular shift when needed. That's why the "extras" actually need to work harder than the regulars to ensure they are ready when their time comes. The same holds true for back-up goalie vs. starter.

The layoff really isn't the reason but rather he's not someone you want on the ice near the end of a close game. I doubt Willie would have played him late in a 1 goal game even if he played every single game. The point is, Willie wouldn't have an issue playing any of our other players late in the game but he will with Sestito.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
The layoff really isn't the reason but rather he's not someone you want on the ice near the end of a close game. I doubt Willie would have played him late in a 1 goal game even if he played every single game. The point is, Willie wouldn't have an issue playing any of our other players late in the game but he will with Sestito.

That's what I was trying to say. My English, she is bad.

BoHOnino

Oct 19, 2008
Vancouver
I feel for Top Sixtito, it can't be easy to see your career slowly slipping away as the game passes you by, and when you finally do get a shot to be hurt like that. Hopefully he heals up soon, and can come back and break faces for us

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I feel for Top Sixtito, it can't be easy to see your career slowly slipping away as the game passes you by, and when you finally do get a shot to be hurt like that. Hopefully he heals up soon, and can come back and break faces for us

If he does get waived, I can see him getting claimed to be honest.

Watch Burkie pick him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad