Discussion: Will Tom Sestito Make The Team?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Title says it all

Will Benning/Desjardins opt to include an enforcer on the roster this upcoming season?

Calgary loaded up with McGrattan/Bollig/Engelland, do you think the Canucks will keep a designated face puncher around or will they choose someone whos actually decent at hockey?

Keep in mind, it likely will take a rookie making the team (Horvat/Jensen/Shinkaruk/Gaunce) to actually push Tom Sestito down to Utica
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Dorsett Richardon Matthias
/Sestito

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think you'll see the Canucks feel out whether Dorsett can handle the rough stuff on his own before dressing Sestito. If Sestito sticks I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Dorsett playing in the same games with Hansen or Vey in the pressbox.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Yes as a 13th forward. At least I hope he does. For all the errors he does, he makes up for it in a Crosby type dangle every few games. Not that he is ever successful, I just find it entertaining as hell.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Here's hoping this thought never crosses Willie's mind.

Yea, my hopes is that Hansen regains his form and even pushes further into being that 2nd/3rd line forward. However at this point Hansen has played himself into a precarious roster position, and he'll likely have to play exceptionally well to re-establish himself- I don't think his reputation from earlier seasons will get him far with this coaching staff.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Yea, my hopes is that Hansen regains his form and even pushes further into being that 2nd/3rd line forward. However at this point Hansen has played himself into a precarious roster position, and he'll likely have to play exceptionally well to re-establish himself- I don't think his reputation from earlier seasons will get him far with this coaching staff.

He produced like a 3rd liner last year? I think hes pretty safe..

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I think Willie understands that Tostitos is a completely useless player, and the BS reasons that low-information fans trot out to defend dancing bears are all basically discredited.

Dorsett can be the facepuncher or whatever, it sure seems like that's the route they want to go. Tostitos will get picked up on waivers somewhere. Good riddance.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think Willie understands that Tostitos is a completely useless player, and the BS reasons that low-information fans trot out to defend dancing bears are all basically discredited.

Dorsett can be the facepuncher or whatever, it sure seems like that's the route they want to go. Tostitos will get picked up on waivers somewhere. Good riddance.

This, please.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He produced like a 3rd liner last year? I think hes pretty safe..

Hansen was given ample opportunity in the top 6 to produce and show his versatility. Saying he fell flat on his face would be an understatement. At this point I wonder if we're better off with a 3rd liner who has a better ability to play up the line up, like Vey or Kassian. If Sestito makes the team it certainly does make for a log jam on the wings.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I look forward to seeing Dorsett stretched off 6 or 7 times a year after trying to fight Gazdic and McGratton. He's going to have to syrup up and fight then because McGratton in particlar like to run around.

Last edited:

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I think he will be but he'll be starting in the press-box barring any injuries and could be stuck there for a while. No reason at all (again, barring a ton of injuries) to have him and Dorsett both dressed. My initial thought was that he'll be waived but if Horvat can't claim a spot, I think they'll keep him.

I know Willie has said he wants 14 forwards, so there may be room for both.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Hansen was given ample opportunity in the top 6 to produce and show his versatility. Saying he fell flat on his face would be an understatement. At this point I wonder if we're better off with a 3rd liner who has a better ability to play up the line up, like Vey or Kassian. If Sestito makes the team it certainly does make for a log jam on the wings.

Hes one season removed from leading the team in ES Points/60. I would say hes the epitome of a guy who can slot up the lineup?

Vey is likely to center line 3, and Kassian looks like he should be in the top-6. I would argue both are already ahead of Hansen on the depth chart?
* I don't want to derail this Sestito thread anymore

*IF Sestito makes the team, I imagine its

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Burrows Bonino Kassian
Higgins Vey Hansen
Dorsett Richardson Matthias
/Sestito

Chances are Sestito is safe if none of the rookies steal a spot.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
He played like a 3rd liner while playing top 6 often top line minutes.

He was horrible last year and needs to bounce back.

Yeah, but who can't we say that about on this team?

Im not saying he is going to be a star, but at the end of the day hes a pretty effective tweener more often than not.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Yes he will. His role isn't glamorous but he plays it well enough to warrant the 12th/13th forward spot.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He doesn't do his role well. Unless his role is to block other tough guys fists with his face.

Has he really lost that many fights? Not that it matters as I don't want anybody in the lineup that has that as his main asset (possible exception being if the opposition team are the Flames or the Kings).

Dude makes pretty much minimum wage - can afford to have him sit in the pressbox most nights; if we run into injury problems and need to callup actual hockey players, then shove him on waivers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looked up his stats last year. Five goals playing minimum minutes. He likely sticks at least as the 13 forward and given injuries will likely see a fair amount of action. He'll need to produce though as this team will roll 4 lines.
I'd be surprised though if he's back next year unless he shows more than he has so far.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
He doesn't do his role well. Unless his role is to block other tough guys fists with his face.

Thanks for sharing your thought. I'll disagree. For 850k until the end of this year he is sufficient enough to be called upon when an enforcer is needed.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

And he does it better than anyone else we have. I doubt Dorsett has the ability, his face won't block punches from the big hits they will go all the way to the back of his skull.

If the team needs top 6/9 players we have guys like Shinkaruk, Gaunce and Jensen to call up. We should also have the other 13th/14th forward.

Last edited:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
He mentioned on TSN 1040 today that he is down 10 lbs

I definitely think one of his major weaknesses was his speed/athleticism. Hes a big guy, but he definitely played with a bit of extra fat so I am hoping he leaned up a bit and is a bit faster on his feet this year.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As a 13th forward. On a regular basis, he is not better than any of the other skaters slated to be on the team, and is arguably worse than a good number of those who will be bound for Utica. He is only at this level due to his fighting ability, no more and no less.

Calgary games and Los Angeles games would certainly have me wondering. Gazdic (Edmonton) seems an honorable sort, and the Oilers are usually too pre-occupied with Kassian to pay much attention to anyone else. :sarcasm:

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
Yes. Tommy is a perfect 13th forward. He's big, tough, good in the room...and has a very affordable contract.

Dress him when you're playing The Flames/Oilers/Kings etc. and you want a bit of extra toughness in the lineup. When a guy like McGratton or Gazdic (among others) starts running around, I'd rather have Sestito drop the mitts so a guy like Kassian doesn't have to risk busting his hand on someone's forehead. That's Sestito's job.

I think Sestito is one of the more hockey-smart 'enforcers' in the league. He knows his role and quite honestly, I think he does it very well.

I'm totally happy with him on the 4th line when needed this season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Agree completely.

I look forward to seeing Dorsett stretched off 6 or 7 times a year after trying to fight Gazdic and McGratton. He's going to have to syrup up and fight then because McGratton in particlar like to run around.

Why does Dorsett have to fight any of those guys?

McGrattan probably doesn't even dress if we don't have a goon. And having a goon in the lineup didn't stop him from running around last year and knocking out Alberts.

We didn't have a goon for the 2 years we win the Presidents Trophy. We won more and were injured less. Having bad players in the lineup based on completely false myths is stupid and makes the team worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad