Discussion: Will Tom Sestito Make The Team?

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
He won't get waived for another dozen games now lol, with his injury it gives Willie and management enough time to assess Horvat.

If Horvat sticks and no more injuries occur to the forward corps, he''ll be waived before Dorsett, Matthias or Hansen.

But if Horvat doesn't make it, you might as well keep him until the deadline at least, as he's just sitting in thepressbox and Jensen can be called up for any long-term injuries.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Sestito is a bit of a goof but I like him for what he brings. I do have a hard time seeing a spot open for him if Horvat makes the team, we just won't have any room for him.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I think Tom "Top 6" "Sewer" Sestito definilty has a place on this team. This team will need his hitting ability down the stretch. The kids look like they need time to stew in the AHL, so having Sestito on the roster come Feb. is going to make a difference.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I feel for Top Sixtito, it can't be easy to see your career slowly slipping away as the game passes you by, and when you finally do get a shot to be hurt like that. Hopefully he heals up soon, and can come back and break faces for us

I was just reminded of Andrew Alberts. Poor guy. Hope Sestito doesn't go out in similar fashion.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
He won't get waived for another dozen games now lol, with his injury it gives Willie and management enough time to assess Horvat.

If Horvat sticks and no more injuries occur to the forward corps, he''ll be waived before Dorsett, Matthias or Hansen.

But if Horvat doesn't make it, you might as well keep him until the deadline at least, as he's just sitting in thepressbox and Jensen can be called up for any long-term injuries.

Even if Horvat sticks, we have the roster spot for him right now that its not a huge issue to deal him. Yes he won't really contribute but unless we feel like we need the cap space (which would be less now than @ the start of the season), we could just keep him around until the deadline and see if anyone wants him then. If not, he'll serve as an extra body as well as insurance for injury/suspensions. As much as i don't think he should be on the team, he can be useful in a pinch (assuming he's happy with that role... sounds like he wasn't tho since he went to management asking to play or trade him).

Waive him if we find someone better to replace his spot (i.e. find someone we want on waivers or somehow improve our line-up via trade/promotion and have 2 better "extra" forwards). Or maybe we should just as Burke if he's willing to give us a pick for him... maybe Burke will.:laugh:

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria

Why would anyone be waived if Horvat makes it? Even with Horvat, we're only at 23 players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I literally cannot think of a single reason to keep this player on the roster.

No chance of being here next year, no chance he'll dress for a playoff game if we make it - Desjardins barely has the confidence to play him against Edmonton in October.

Even if we just use that roster spot to see what we have in a Brandon DeFazio and if a guy like that can be a serviceable asset, to me that's a better use of the roster spot.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
even if there is some kind of 'incident' during the california road trip and traditional hockey minds call for future enforcer retaliation (i.e. the nolan incident last year), you'd think the canucks would learn from last year that it's the most ineffective response possible...it just doesn't make sense to dress your worst 5v5 player against the league's best teams

i mean, january's california truculence road trip truly got the ball rolling on last year's train wreck and made the team a league-wide laughing stock

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Agreed. Even if you want "toughness", a guy like Archibald is a miles better option.

Sestito > Archiblad for toughness, Sestito does hit like a mad man out there. I don't mind him as an extra, people really ***** about him more than its deserved. He is want he is and he does that job. The days are coming to an end for those players but in the pacific they can be useful.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Agreed. Even if you want "toughness", a guy like Archibald is a miles better option.

Based on watching him in Utica... my guess is if he is given a chance here, we'll have a TON of complaints about "bad penalty" with him. He seems to take a decent number of those.

Honestly if we want toughness, right now our best bet is probably Dorsett. He's undersized but he plays a tough game and actually CAN PLAY HOCKEY. Basically next generation enforcer. Of course there is also KB3 who was quite a fighter back in the AHL. AV just didn't want him to fight because he felt KB3 was much more valuable on the ice than in the box... that said it feels like we are deep enough on D that it isn't the end of the world if KB3 is in the box for 5 minutes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No Sestito in the lineup? John Scott a healthy scratch.

Not having a goon in the lineup is proving to be a total non-issue on a nightly basis. Just as it was when we were goonless from 2010-2012.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
No Sestito in the lineup? John Scott a healthy scratch.

Not having a goon in the lineup is proving to be a total non-issue on a nightly basis. Just as it was when we were goonless from 2010-2012.

Also, Sestito was in the lineup when Ference hit Kassian in the head.

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad