NHL 20 Discussion Thread

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I’ve had almost unlimited free time since the quarantine started and I’ve had zero desire to pick NHL 20 back up. IMO...

-Offline modes can’t be tuned correctly
-AI isn’t sophisticated enough to offer a dynamically challenging and interesting gameplay
-the way the game handles the final 5-10 minutes of the third period makes the previous 50 minutes almost meaningless. So many goals are scored for no other reason than to make artificially close games and “exciting” goals.

Do you get a lot of rebound goals scored against you?

I've been playing since NHL 11 and I mess around with the sliders a lot to make the game challenging but now the CPU keeps scoring rebound goals at will and there's no way for me to stop it since the AI refuses to stay in position to defend it.

I'm going insane with these rebound goals and the goalie just freezes everytime.

Reactions: David71

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I've been playing since NHL 11 and I mess around with the sliders a lot to make the game challenging but now the CPU keeps scoring rebound goals at will and there's no way for me to stop it since the AI refuses to stay in position to defend it.

I'm going insane with these rebound goals and the goalie just freezes everytime.

I usually play as one of my defenseman when the puck is in my zone. Haven't had too many rebound goals scored on me as far as I remember.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Picked this up again recently and I really can't believe how much the A.I cheats in this game on All-star difficulty and up. I know this has always been a problem, but it's worse in NHL 20 than any other NHL game I've played.

It's literally a contest of who can score the most cheese.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I usually play as one of my defenseman when the puck is in my zone. Haven't had too many rebound goals scored on me as far as I remember.

It could just be me having to practice defending it then, but I do feel like those got almost impossible to defend once I jacked up the AI learning and CPU difficulty (on All Star) though.

I considered increasing 'incidental contact effect' or something to help make it easier to bump them off a bit

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Replaying NHL14, it really hits you how different the AI and tuning was. Sure, the skating was way more linear, and the skill stick was non-existent, but the AI, even on Pro, was challenging enough to be fun and satisfying when you came back on them in the 3rd period.

The game has generally been downhill since Rammer took over.

GM Connected tossed in the can. Live the Life/Be a Pro was downgraded and never touched other than incredibly minimal changes. Franchise/Be a GM was stripped and then slowly built up. Thankfully the new dev for Franchise seems to have a vision.

Everything has been about HUT, and having fancy sounding marketing terms when it comes to gameplay.

Over the last week, I’ve genuinely tried to get into the franchise mode and give it all the time of day. I am a fan of what the new dev head for franchise has added. Hopefully the coaching effects/schemes are tweaked/improved and we get the coaching licence, but overall, I can sit down and simulate seasons, scout, trade, etc until my heart is content.

The issue is when I try to play the AI.

It’s impossible in the most idiotic ways, yet idiotic in what should be simple concepts.

It’s almost like it’s built to create a false sense of a challenge, but in reality creates this imbalanced, unrealistic gameplay.

I played 3 games earlier.

All of them did the traditional, out shoot the CPU by insanely large amounts but either get blown out or barely win.

It feels like every once and 10 games you will get an actual even shot total where your goalie isn’t a total sieve and it feels competitive.

Perhaps that’s by design? Perhaps they intentionally want to push people to the online play, specifically HUT, to get that sweet sweet revenue.

However even then, playing HUT is a chore. You either need to consistently cheese or get cheesed on.

So far this year, I’ll play threes/sixes with buddies once every couple weeks and not touch the game otherwise, which is sad.

Reactions: GAMO1992

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
It's my working theory that the AI is fine in these current games...situationally. It feels like many situations aren't exactly touched on for the AI. Case in point, I've noticed that the AI completely shuts down if the play stays hot in the zone for more than 8-9 shots. I saw an insane amount of rookie mistakes by veteran players because the AI completely panics in those areas.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Would love if they gave the option to play in historic venues along with previous Winter Classic venues. Be fun to play in The Garden, Olympia, Forum, etc.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They need to fix drop-in so you don't get disconnected if your team leaves. I get it for club matches, but drop-in...

You wait forever to get enough people to ready up and play.
If you let in the first goal, your team leaves and you disconnect.

I almost smashed my controller the other night 'cause I just wanted to play one game and had 3 straight disconnected matches from people leaving immediately after the first goal.

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
To help EA focus on the actual NHL series, could they make the 1's/3's stuff more DLC like fortnite on each platform? That way people who buy the actual game get the benefits of buying upgraded gameplay/modes/AI etc. It seems from this board, its maybe a 50/50 split on who play offline/online.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Would be nice if they can recycle players in Be a GM mode like have legends (Mario, Wayne and others, as well as, guys like Sid or even McDavid). It will be a great way to keep players interested in continue to play till the end. Since players will be generated after the forth year, they should just start adding legends into the Draft, then add retired players into the draft 10-12yrs after they retired.
it will be much more interesting than player with Dave Lithanen from US as your top star.
Coaching is another issue.
Would be nice if they add development/training for players like those in FIFA.
Mentorship in the NBA 2K series is good too
On the topic of 2K series, EA should also add players vitals such as Winning, finance and Loyalty

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
They need to bring back the chat lobby for EASHL. It's impossible to find a club without signing up for random forums that I can't be f***ed with right now. I just got the game at a steep discount and I want to play 5v5/6v6 club games like I did ten years ago.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
A few buddies of mine have started playing Club again which got me back into playing drop-ins frequently as well when they're not on.

I'd really like the ability to filter off Drop-In lobby's that have user goalies. They ruin the game way more often than they help it. I don't understand how these guys can be level P2 Lvl 30's, have all the "2" attributes unlocked for their goalie builds, and still not have the common sense to hug the post or stack their pads every time there's a cross-crease pass or breakaway. Most of these goalies suck and i'd rather defend from glitch goals than be down 5-1 in the 2nd period because someone is either screwing around or really bad.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They need to bring back the chat lobby for EASHL. It's impossible to find a club without signing up for random forums that I can't be f***ed with right now. I just got the game at a steep discount and I want to play 5v5/6v6 club games like I did ten years ago.

If you have an Xbox there's a "Club" feature in one of the menus. They have them for most online multiplayer games. It's helped me find decent people to play with in either club games or drop ins.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
If you have an Xbox there's a "Club" feature in one of the menus. They have them for most online multiplayer games. It's helped me find decent people to play with in either club games or drop ins.
Alas, I have a PS4. I've since found a semi-active club that I'm content with, though.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I've been playing the NHL series since 09 and I just had 2 fights on the same stoppage. At the same time...anyone else had that happen before? No ejection.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

whats with this rebound goals man. it goes in automatcailly even if your goalie doesn't have time to react.. so frustrating.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the only bad habit of mine when im playing online or against my friends, i tend to go for hits and it leads to defensive breakdowns/ and scoring opportunities the other way. plus tripping calls.. im trying to fix that part of my style. when i play its usually tight checking games low scoring affairs. unless the other person is too good then forget it. any tips or suggestions on how to play the right way LOL. especially in the defensive zone. whats the button u have to hold or press for man to man. LB? my friend told me but i don't know if it works.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
the only bad habit of mine when im playing online or against my friends, i tend to go for hits and it leads to defensive breakdowns/ and scoring opportunities the other way. plus tripping calls.. im trying to fix that part of my style. when i play its usually tight checking games low scoring affairs. unless the other person is too good then forget it. any tips or suggestions on how to play the right way LOL. especially in the defensive zone. whats the button u have to hold or press for man to man. LB? my friend told me but i don't know if it works.

LT on Xbox makes you backskate and or square yourself to the puck carrier. I mostly just play Drop Ins on EASHL but when I do I’m defense 90% of the time. Average about 5 hits a game and I only go for hits when I know I’m not the only guy back. If there’s no one to cover for you then it’s neber worth it.

Even if you crush a guy the stupid mechanic in this game where the loose puck can’t be picked up/goes right back to the puck-carrier’s team makes laying people out extra risky.

TLDR: Only go for hits if your teammates are there to cover for you because no matter what happens you’ll always end up out of position.

Reactions: belair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad