NHL 20 Discussion Thread

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Played a few BAP games and it's still "fun" to get the feedback "I like the way you play,I'm gonna give you more shifts" then I'm on the bench for 9-11 minutes while playing on the top line..

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I haven't played NHL20 yet, still playing NHL18. How do you guys go about scouting prospects?

FWIW, I always scout the WHL, OHL, US, Finland and Sweden. I never see any worthwhile prospects in the Austria/Slovakia/Czech Republic or even Russian league/areas. Had a South Korean rest of world go top 5 once!

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I haven't played NHL20 yet, still playing NHL18. How do you guys go about scouting prospects?

FWIW, I always scout the WHL, OHL, US, Finland and Sweden. I never see any worthwhile prospects in the Austria/Slovakia/Czech Republic or even Russian league/areas. Had a South Korean rest of world go top 5 once!
In 20, it all depends on how many guys are draft eligible and ranked decent. I basically get rid of my NHL and AHL scouts and and make them all Junior/Draft eligible scouts. Allows meto scout more players and maybe uncover a diamond

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I just need to vent because I witnessed the dumbest thing I have ever seen in an NHL game.

My franchise mode is in the SCF & I put on a CPU vs CPU game while working. 5-2 lead in the 3rd period, we've been dominating & they take a penalty at 6:33. My second PP unit goes on the ice.

For some reason, the entire unit REFUSES to get off the ice. Including my forward on defense. They end up scoring to make it 5-3 at 14:24 and the ENTIRE UNIT is still on the ice! Almost 10 minutes of game time, and they had numerous chances to change. In addition to this, I have sliders set to increase Fatigue Effect & decrease Fatigue Recovery. These guys were literal traffic cones for the final 4 minutes of that and they still decided to skate the puck into the opposing zone & try to make plays

Of course the game is now tied 5-5 and about to watch the OT which I know I'll lose

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012

Maybe you should get in the Delorian and meet with us in 2020.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
the only bad habit of mine when im playing online or against my friends, i tend to go for hits and it leads to defensive breakdowns/ and scoring opportunities the other way. plus tripping calls.. im trying to fix that part of my style. when i play its usually tight checking games low scoring affairs. unless the other person is too good then forget it. any tips or suggestions on how to play the right way LOL. especially in the defensive zone. whats the button u have to hold or press for man to man. LB? my friend told me but i don't know if it works.
Pretty much what @x Tame Impala said.

Going for big hits is a really big faux pas when you get to play against quality competition because they're easily avoidable with quick puck movement and usually end up with you in the box more often than you should be.

Most important part of defending in EASHL is reading the play. Knowing where the puck is going before the play happens. When it comes to defending against other players even minimal contact should knock them off stride. Doing so makes it difficult to handle the puck.

When defending you want to get inside body position on opposing skaters. This gives you an advantage in battles for loose pucks and guarantees that you won't lose your gap on the player.

When it comes to puck movement, make safe passes. Don't try to pass, shoot or skate through the other team. It generally results in turnovers. Other than that, get accustomed to handling the puck and you'll get more comfortable carrying it. This will only improve your passing options.

Cheers.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Pretty much what @x Tame Impala said.

Going for big hits is a really big faux pas when you get to play against quality competition because they're easily avoidable with quick puck movement and usually end up with you in the box more often than you should be.

Most important part of defending in EASHL is reading the play. Knowing where the puck is going before the play happens. When it comes to defending against other players even minimal contact should knock them off stride. Doing so makes it difficult to handle the puck.

When defending you want to get inside body position on opposing skaters. This gives you an advantage in battles for loose pucks and guarantees that you won't lose your gap on the player.

When it comes to puck movement, make safe passes. Don't try to pass, shoot or skate through the other team. It generally results in turnovers. Other than that, get accustomed to handling the puck and you'll get more comfortable carrying it. This will only improve your passing options.

Cheers.

I’ll add that just because you’re not going for big hits doesn’t mean you’re not still using your body to knock people off the puck. Especially with how the game handles poke checks, being able to knock people off the puck with smaller checks is huge.

Most guys are expecting a poke and don’t know how to react when they get bodied.

Reactions: belair

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I put this in the '21 thread but figured better here.... very experienced and seasoned NHL player but...

anyone have any advice on defending the one timer? Especially in 3v3 in EASHL since those seem to be very common?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I put this in the '21 thread but figured better here.... very experienced and seasoned NHL player but...

anyone have any advice on defending the one timer? Especially in 3v3 in EASHL since those seem to be very common?
Get your forwards in the passing lanes. Unless the other team is ridiculous with their sauces, you can't pass through opponents.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

1) be closer to the guy receiving the pass than you are the puck carrier

2) get in the passing lane and stay in the passing lane

3) helps extra if your build has higher Def Aware stats.

One-timers are real easy to stop and 90% of the goons playing Drop-In go for one-timers every chance they get. When you’re playing D, commit to actually playing D. It helps your team way more and you’ll win more games.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I just need to vent because I witnessed the dumbest thing I have ever seen in an NHL game.

My franchise mode is in the SCF & I put on a CPU vs CPU game while working. 5-2 lead in the 3rd period, we've been dominating & they take a penalty at 6:33. My second PP unit goes on the ice.

For some reason, the entire unit REFUSES to get off the ice. Including my forward on defense. They end up scoring to make it 5-3 at 14:24 and the ENTIRE UNIT is still on the ice! Almost 10 minutes of game time, and they had numerous chances to change. In addition to this, I have sliders set to increase Fatigue Effect & decrease Fatigue Recovery. These guys were literal traffic cones for the final 4 minutes of that and they still decided to skate the puck into the opposing zone & try to make plays

Of course the game is now tied 5-5 and about to watch the OT which I know I'll lose
Is your team made up of Alexei Kovalev clones?

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
------------
-
So, there appears to be 2 very game-altering glitches or bugs in NHL21 GM/Franchise mode. The first and most obvious one is that Defenceman have Forward chemistry stats. Just very weird, and quite plain stupid, lol. (Seen here Dalla Stars Defenceman Miro Heiskanen with Forward chemistry stats).

121628481_643199033032435_2538965523135016852_n.jpg

The 2nd is more in-depth, and maybe it is EA just added in hidden statistics to Defenceman. But there is a different overall for a player when editing in his attributes and that of his overall that appears on-screen outside the edit attributes screen. (Seen here Cale Makar a 91 in his edit attributes sections, and 89 in the on-screen overall. As well as Josh Manson who is an 84 when you go into edit his overall, and 88 outside the edit attributes screen).

121790452_1298817293812830_1414783213301176289_n.jpg

|
121613776_815690555899981_7276958883379371056_n.jpg

-

121562397_1509947855867295_1226724754991812120_n.jpg

|

121591968_896563797541831_4495680655309140608_n.jpg

-

Now I edited both overalls to how I saw fit. But Maker the OFD, Offensive Defenceman, and Josh Manson the DFD, Defensive Defenceman. Looking into it more, and going off of what others are saying. It seems like OFD's can go down -3 in hidden stats and conversely, DFD can go +3 in hidden stats, depending on you messing around with attributes and how you're editing them.

Just very weird, and I still haven't exactly figured out what's going on. Is it just a glitch/bug, that EA will and can fix?! Or is it a hidden stat-attribute that affects not only real-time GM Franchise simulation or in-game simulation. Still don't know. We will see. If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks.
_

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
So f***ing annoying when you tee up a one touch pass and then let go of the trigger and your player just decided to keep the puck. Also playing BaP as a defensemen a solid 75% of my shifts are starting with the other team having a breakaway. So broken.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Does anyone wanna help me out with my spreadsheet for the 2003 - 2004 NHL rosters for NHL 20?
I think there might be some good resources out there, because wasn't there still a PC version back then? I'd bet some one has posted an export from Blomman's NHL editor somewhere!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad