Prospect Info: Discussion: Prospects and Marlies Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What is Dipietro? 6'1" or thereabouts.
No concern about size. Could still grow to about 6-2 or 6-3.
Have a feeling he will be one of the first goalies taken, so I doubt we get him.

What happened to Skinner? Last year there was talk of him being a top goalie and going first round

I have seen him listed as 5'11" on one of those prospect sites may have been old stats not sure

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Atm bibeau is looking like the best choice.

Yeah he is
He's not ideal though
He has some upside so having him play in the AHL and get plenty of starts and try to iron out his consistency issues would probably be more beneficial to the team long term than have his butt stapled to the bench because we can't find a serviceable backup to save ourselves

Please stay fit Freddy and for the love of god don't go through a cold spell

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah he is
He's not ideal though
He has some upside so having him play in the AHL and get plenty of starts and try to iron out his consistency issues would probably be more beneficial to the team long term than have his butt stapled to the bench because we can't find a serviceable backup to save ourselves

Please stay fit Freddy and for the love of god don't go through a cold spell

Bibs could still progress practicing with the big club.
Personally I always thought he would do better in a more structured setting like the nhl. I guess I would rather see him getting more starts overall but if he can keep progesssing with the big team I am ok with that. He won't be succeeding Andersen but maybe we can up his vale as a trade chip?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think some time in the NHL for Bibeau isn't a bad thing .. I think the hope is that Ramo can round into somewhat of a decent backup for the time being

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bibs could still progress practicing with the big club.
Personally I always thought he would do better in a more structured setting like the nhl. I guess I would rather see him getting more starts overall but if he can keep progesssing with the big team I am ok with that. He won't be succeeding Andersen but maybe we can up his vale as a trade chip?

Can we have Bibeau practice with the big team and do the backup job but go down to the Marlies to keep getting plenty of starts?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Ramo isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his performance with the Marlies.

And the Leafs aren't going to be a playoff team. So why not give Bibeau some time?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ramo isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with his performance with the Marlies.

And the Leafs aren't going to be a playoff team. So why not give Bibeau some time?

Depends
Will playing him over his head make him better or make him regress?
We're pretty careful with our skaters so why not a young goaltender?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Depends
Will playing him over his head make him better or make him regress?
We're pretty careful with our skaters so why not a young goaltender?

Playing a few games once in a while is not going to kill him. The Leafs aren't that bad.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don’t know if potential is the right word. He probably is what he is. Solid top four dman borderline top pair.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Essentially RH Jake Gardiner.

This may be nitpicking, but I actually give the nod to Zaitsev when comparing him with Gardiner. Both are definitely top 4 defenseman, but I think Zaitsev has a higher ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I do love Gardiner too.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Just curious, realistically what do you all think Zaitsev's potential is?

Does not look poised with the puck, like he hasn't fully adjusted for the speed difference between the NHL and the K. He seems like a marginal 2nd pairing guy but that could change if the team gets a bit better around him. Also not clear on how much he can reasonably be excepted to improve. At 25 years old with 7 pro seasons I would think if he's North American what you see is what he is. But as an NHL rookie you could also expect his game to progress quite a bit after a year. I would think the real Zaits will show himself next October but he has to bring his game up a notch this season.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Does not look poised with the puck, like he hasn't fully adjusted for the speed difference between the NHL and the K. He seems like a marginal 2nd pairing guy but that could change if the team gets a bit better around him. Also not clear on how much he can reasonably be excepted to improve. At 25 years old with 7 pro seasons I would think if he's North American what you see is what he is. But as an NHL rookie you could also expect his game to progress quite a bit after a year. I would think the real Zaits will show himself next October but he has to bring his game up a notch this season.

that's a bit harsh he plays on our top pair and does just fine, ideally he is a #3 but marginal 2nd pairing is far too low. More nights than not he has been our best D man

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Zaitsev is just beginning to enter his prime as an athlete. Body and mind. A 24 year old rookie nhl dman will still learn a lot. It's actually a really good time for him to step into the league. The change should act as a good shock to the system for his development and curb any complacency in training that could potentially slow him down.
At that age he has already learned how to be a pro.. His mind is mature enough to focus solely on development. He is skilled enough to step in and be an instant improvement to our team, which should give him the confidence to keep pushing.
I think we can look forward to him progressing as much as gardiner has over the past two years... And considering he's already as good as gardiner, that's exciting.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Scoring isn't an issue for this team so for that reason I prefer Rychel (who is starting to score now too). Leipsic didn't really prove anything at the NHL level he played 6 games at .5ppg

edit: Rychel has scored at a .3ppg (37 games) pace in the NHL that's with being a lot of the time on the 4th line with low mins (the reason he requested a trade) I think this is what Leipsic over a long sample size will produce .3 maybe .4 per game

Don't forget, that these were his first games in the NHL.. He's more skilled, than Rychel.., imo.. and can also be chippy...

But your numbers only show this.., too...

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Late.., but not forgotten... :)

Nikolai Chebykin
Left Wing -- shoots R
Born Aug 1 1997 -- Moscow, Russia
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.00 -- Weight 183

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 - HK MVD Balashikha - MHL
32 Games... 2 Goals... 4 Assists... 6 Points... - 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-15 - Team Russia - U18 (all) - International-Jr
12 Games... 6 Goals... 2 Assists... 8 Points... +/- 0
2015-16 - HK MVD Balashikha - MHL
39 Games... 13 Goals... 22 Assists... 35 Points... +14
*2016-17 - Dynamo Moskva - KHL
4 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... +1
*2016-17 - Dynamo Balashikha - VHL
18 Games... 5 Goals... 3 Assists... 8 Points... -5
*2016-17 - HK MVD Balashikha - MHL
12 Games... 10 Goals... 7 Assists... 17 Points... +7 *PPG+

Chebykin Thrills: Nicolai Chebykin 2015-16 Season Highlights - TML 2016 Draft Prospect (HD)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Clzx09dWYAAVkL9.jpg

Keaton Middleton
Defense -- shoots L
Born Feb 10 1998 -- Stratford, ONT
18 yrs. ago
Height *6.06 -- Weight *235

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 - Saginaw Spirit - OHL
61 Games... 2 Goals... 7 Assists... 9 Points... - 12
2015-16 - Saginaw Spirit - OHL
66 Games... 1 Goal... 6 Assists... 7 Points... -24
*2016-17 - Saginaw Spirit - OHL
27 Games... 1 Goal... 7 Assists... 8 Points... +9

Keaton has gone from a -24 last season..., to a +8 so far this season...
His defensive game has improved.. and he appears to be choosing his battles more carefully....

D-Giant: Keaton Middleton 2014-2016 Highlights - TML 2016 Draft Prospect (HD)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

There seem to be a lot of teams interested in a winger/defenseman split this year.

Korostelev + King is getting a lot of interest, probably from around the league. SSM is the top suitor right now, and although they probably won't make it far in the playoffs, they are a pretty good team which should allow Korostelev to produce.

Foegele + Desrocher is getting a lot of interest from everywhere.

Stephens + Garcia. I think this is the move Windsor is going to ultimately make. Makes the most sense for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad