Discussion; ALL Things for Isles move to Brooklyn: Part VII (Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
It's ridiculous how upset people are over this. They're not coming back, deal with it.

And if they are, crying about it until they do won't help anyone. Wishing for failure in Brooklyn is wishing for the team to leave the area. It's hard to imagine anyone being too stupid to understand this, but this thread is a monument to the existence of such ignorance.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The discussed poster is most obviously a troll, and I'm quite surprised that his ass hasn't been jettisoned out of here yet. The guy has one friggin' agenda and only posts in this thread. It think it's time to call a spade a spade already.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
On reddit they're calling it the "Triangle of Hate"

EaIgkuW.png

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
On reddit they're calling it the "Triangle of Hate"

EaIgkuW.png

LoL, it's always been a triangle of hate though.

Honestly I hate everyone from the old Atlantic division. Obviously less so the Flyers and Devils as they have fallen competitively. Starting to dislike the Jackets honestly, and I expect them to be even better this year.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Nobody 'hates' the Devils --- they are like... like.....

ugh.. indifference is worse than hate.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Devils and Islanders have never been good at the same time. I have a bad memory, but I think it was mostly us not holding up our end of the bargain. :laugh: Once we both are good though, the hate will build.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Devils and Islanders have never been good at the same time. I have a bad memory, but I think it was mostly us not holding up our end of the bargain. :laugh: Once we both are good though, the hate will build.

Both the Devils and the Islanders were decent in the early 90s. The two teams faced each other in the first round of the playoffs in 1990. Still, that's about a total of 3 or four seasons out of the last 30+, so you're pretty much correct.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Devils fans hate the Rangers. I like that.

Yeah - its the old "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing. I can't get myself to hate the Devils. I was irritated by them when they sucked the life out of hockey with their trap but even then, they were beating the Rags so I was mostly OK with them. And now, considering they may break the record for least goals scored in an NHL season, I can't seem to find any vitriol towards them.

Their fans are relatively hospitable when we go to the Rock as well. Normally when I turn on a game, I find myself organically rooting for/against a local team playing without thinking about it. With the Devils, I find myself completely neutral. Its almost weird.

BroadwayJay*

Yeah - its the old "Enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing. I can't get myself to hate the Devils. I was irritated by them when they sucked the life out of hockey with their trap but even then, they were beating the Rags so I was mostly OK with them. And now, considering they may break the record for least goals scored in an NHL season, I can't seem to find any vitriol towards them.

Their fans are relatively hospitable when we go to the Rock as well. Normally when I turn on a game, I find myself organically rooting for/against a local team playing without thinking about it. With the Devils, I find myself completely neutral. Its almost weird.

Exactly the same. As you know, I live in Jersey City so I go to all the Isles-Devils games at the Rock. It is a vastly different atmosphere than any game involving the Ranger fans.

Maybe Devils fans are just better humans than Ranger fans? Ranger fans are just the worst, that's why two fan bases despise them so mightily.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Exactly the same. As you know, I live in Jersey City so I go to all the Isles-Devils games at the Rock. It is a vastly different atmosphere than any game involving the Ranger fans.

Maybe Devils fans are just better humans than Ranger fans? Ranger fans are just the worst, that's why two fan bases despise them so mightily.

The reason I don't get too revved up about the Devils and their fans is that the team is just so damned boring to watch nowadays.

Back in the Sean Burke days, I found their fans at the Meadowlands to be a loathsome bunch. Almost like Rags fans without "the monster of the blue seats" mystique. Real bunch of mouth breathers back then.

BroadwayJay*

The reason I don't get too revved up about the Devils and their fans is that the team is just so damned boring to watch nowadays.

Back in the Sean Burke days, I found their fans at the Meadowlands to be a loathsome bunch. Almost like Rags fans without "the monster of the blue seats" mystique. Real bunch of mouth breathers back then.

Sean Burke was a teenage hero of mine; stand up between the pipes as the ceiling collapsed (both figuratively and literally) at the old civic center. That was back before my blood went orange and blue.

Sad memories, really.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
I think the main reason I dislike the Devils as much as I do is because growing up on Long Island in the 90's I had a lot of bandwagon Devils fans as friends that just drove me insane. I couldn't stand the fact that they were hockey fans on Long Island not supporting the only professional sports team east of the Nassau Queens border.

Now as I don't live on Long Island anymore, it's really just Rangers fans I can't stand.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sean Burke was a teenage hero of mine; stand up between the pipes as the ceiling collapsed (both figuratively and literally) at the old civic center. That was back before my blood went orange and blue.

Sad memories, really.

Sean Burke always had the Islanders number when he was with the Devils. Did well against us when he was with the Whale too.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
anyone see a problem with this?

Beware when buying online....

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
anyone see a problem with this?

Beware when buying online....

There was a thread from back in 13' from the first game at the Barclays Center where people gave the feedback from their specific seats. We should probably create something similar to detail the specific areas in the arena.

There are so many dodgy seats at the BC even without being officially obstructed. Then, factor in the large number of technically obstructed seats (as printed on the ticket) which has to be self-reported on re-sale sites, and you have a recipe for major disappointment for first timers. You really need to educate yourself about what is a decent view, what is manageable (even if obstructed) and what is simply awful....and then find a seat for the right price.

If someone gets a seat where they can't see the face off circle in front of them but pays 60% of what they ordinarily would, that's fine...as long as that's what they bargained for. But I suspect there will be some angry, naïve folk this year who will be very upset with what they get.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
There was a thread from back in 13' from the first game at the Barclays Center where people gave the feedback from their specific seats. We should probably create something similar to detail the specific areas in the arena.

There are so many dodgy seats at the BC even without being officially obstructed. Then, factor in the large number of technically obstructed seats (as printed on the ticket) which has to be self-reported on re-sale sites, and you have a recipe for major disappointment for first timers. You really need to educate yourself about what is a decent view, what is manageable (even if obstructed) and what is simply awful....and then find a seat for the right price.

If someone gets a seat where they can't see the face off circle in front of them but pays 60% of what they ordinarily would, that's fine...as long as that's what they bargained for. But I suspect there will be some angry, naïve folk this year who will be very upset with what they get.

Good point. I may have been dreaming, but I feel like I read that they were doing some renovations this summer. Is that true and does anyone have a source for it? I'd like to think they will be trying to mitigate what you said as much as possible, even if it is renovations over a few summers.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Good point. I may have been dreaming, but I feel like I read that they were doing some renovations this summer. Is that true and does anyone have a source for it? I'd like to think they will be trying to mitigate what you said as much as possible, even if it is renovations over a few summers.

Some Isles fans had that idea, but honestly it was never anything more than a pipe dream. We've known for what 2-3 years that they're going to Brooklyn?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

It didn't look like much had changed when I went a few weeks ago to see my seats with the rink set up. Granted, I didn't go to any of the sections that are/were considered obstructed to see if changes were made, but everything looked the same from my vantage point. I asked my rep about it and he seemed to imply that they were going to give it a go bones and all this season and see what the feedback is. If the obstructed seats sell, they aren't going to fix them.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Great post. I'm thrilled they're still in town, but buying tickets is going to be a dodgy affair in year one. I went in on season tickets for just this reason; I trust my seats and can check out the rest of the arena, learn what's good and what isn't, etc.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
The discussed poster is most obviously a troll, and I'm quite surprised that his ass hasn't been jettisoned out of here yet. The guy has one friggin' agenda and only posts in this thread. It think it's time to call a spade a spade already.

Troll? Hardly. been posting here for years.

No agenda here what so ever. I just like to keep separate what is real and what the marketing genius wants you to believe.

At the end of the day I still bleed orange and blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad