Discussion; ALL Things for Isles move to Brooklyn: Part VII (Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Mod Note: In light of the cesspool the previous part became, I thought we'd start anew. We're going to have some simple rules here.

-First and foremost the HF site rules, which can be founds here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_forum_rules

-Next, We all know the move to Brooklyn has divided the fan-base. Let's try to be respectful and civil with everyones opinions. You can present whatever items you want to make your case, but please be clear on whether they are facts or your opinion. If you're going to site facts, you MUST include the link to your source or tweet. Valid media only!

-The Mod Team is not here to censor opinions, but if you're disrespectful and you violate a site rule, the moderator has the discretion to either edit it, or delete the post all together. Do NOT go and restate the same post again! You will be warned/infracted for doing so. Rather, PM a member of the Mod Team and as for an explanation, respectfully.

-Also, if you quote a post which is edited or deleted, depending on what happened with that quoted post your post may end up being deleted as well as part of the clean-up.

-One final note; Moderators actions (deletions, post movement, etc) are not open to public debate. There are no exceptions to this! If you have a question use your PM's and PM us. If you can't PM us then use the email address listed at the bottom of the site rules. Your issue will be reviewed and answered if warranted.

Now stay on topic, and remember we're all Isles Fans!!!

Part VI: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1808607

BorzNYI

Mar 27, 2012
I cried the night of the Nassau referendum when it was clear it had lost. Figured that was quite possibly the death knell for this franchise and they would relocate to some far off place and the Islanders history, name, and tradition would go the way of the Sonics, Nordiques, etc etc. The will they stay or will they go really did take over most of the thoughts I had about this team.

The season before the move was announced, I went to a game up in Boston decked out in Islanders gear. It happened to be one of those games where Nordiques nation came out in full force. There were thousands of them. Many of them looked at me and basically said "we want your *****ing team, give it to us". Made me sick.

I know many of you hate this move to Brooklyn, and I totally get it. I love the Coliseum. It's home. It should have worked out there. We all know the reasons it didn't.

My point in saying all of this is Brooklyn and the Barclays Center has welcomed us with open arms. I'm happy they did. Of all the scenarios that could have come from us leaving the coli(realistic ones)... This is the best. Our team is now no longer operating like the cap floor team they have been for so many seasons. That is not by accident.

Just my .02

Go Isles!

Last edited:

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
Alright, so, first of all I hope I'm not breaking any rules by quoting a post from the last thread but I think there were a lot of slanderous claims made towards the Isles/Barclays sales/marketing team in the last thread based on some huge misconceptions and I think they need to be cleared up. I also want to say that its not my intention to offend isles fan or anyone else and I apologize if it comes off that way.

The OP said the seats he wanted, higher priced, were not available. Perhaps, and I do not know this, he was unwilling to look at other options in the same price range? Or perhaps, he wanted a certain seat in a certin section and those specific seats weren't available? That may not be the case but then again......My guess is if he had walked away he would have gotten a call back in short time and the more expensive seat would have suddenly appeared.

Reality is we don't know what their master plan is.

While you may question their marketing strategy it's called supply and demand.

Push people into less desierable seats now, fill those, so when people call closer to next season they can force them into the more expensive seats. As the season approches and if people are desperate to get in they'll pay anything. It's actully a good marketing startegy. Kinda like when you go to buy a new car and they try to sell you last years model. That is done to clear out the crap so when future buyers come to buy they have no choice but to buy the more expensive current year model. Simple supply and demand. it's one of the most effective marketing strategies out there.

I am not sure why you bring up the internet but the internet makes it easier to manipulate the message of what's being put out there when you consider as the owner of the site you control the content.

There's some real big misconceptions here and some pretty heavy allegations made towards the sales reps here that arise from naivety. I'm gonna try and explain this in the most basic way possible and I'm just trying to point out that it really doesn't make any sense for the sales reps to mislead anyone in the ways being alleged from a sales/marketing POV.

First and foremost it's very important to realize that "supply and demand" is in no way, shape, or form a marketing strategy. Its an economic model used to determine price in a micro economic market. The second most important thing to realize is that almost all marketing plans follow the same 4-5 step model. Those steps are Defining a measurement plan, Documenting the infrastructure, Making an implementation plan, implementing that plan, and maintaining and refining that plan. But we'll get back to that later.

It's important to recognize supply and demand as a economic model because all major sports venues work on a completely different economic model. They work on a Fixed price incentive(sometimes known as Firm target) or just called Fixed Price model. The major difference in these two models being the supply and demand model fluctuates in real time based on, you guessed it, supply and demand while the FP(fixed price) model has its prices determined during the first stage of the marketing plan and those prices remain static until the end of the cycle. Now, in sports marketing, these cycles go by year(or season) and are usually broken up into regular and post season. The most important thing to note is that in the FP model the prices are determined in the first stage waaaaaaay before the sales team is involved in the process. The sales team isn't involved in determining the price of seats. This is why tickets cost the same amount in October as they do in all the following months. If supply and demand had any effect of the market the price of seats would constantly rise month by month as supply dwindles.

To make it as simple as possible in the FP model the price of seats is determined by analyzing the cost of the product(think overhead that goes into the seat salaries, maintenance etc.) and adding the target profit(how much they need to make per seat). There's a lot more that goes into it and the actual equations that determine prices are much more complicated but this is essentially the end result. In other words, they already know exactly how much money they need to charge per seat in order to reach the goals they set forward in step one of their marketing plan(Defining a measurement plan). In phase two(Documenting the infrastructure) they determine exactly how many seats they need to sell in order to reach their goals(whatever they are) and set goals/quotas based on those numbers.

Steps 3-4 are basically selling their product and collecting/organizing the data on what was sold and what wasn't. This step is extremely important in the FP model because all of this data determines what the prices for next year are going to be. They take the data gathered here and apply it to the next cycle(next season) and determine what their target profit is going to be. Whatever their new target profit is determines whether the price goes up or down. If they reach their goals they raise the bar and prices go up. It's kiiiiiiiinda like supply and demand but not really because supply/demand is only one of many factors that determines the target profit. The data gathered here is extremely important. It NEEDS to remain constant so the target profit can be accurately calculated. This is why the prices don't change. Having multiple prices for the same seats makes determining the target profit extremely complicated and sometimes impossible depending on the volume of sales. Also, changing the price in the middle of the cycle(season) is going to skew the data as well because there will be multiple metrics(values) for the same dimensions(seats).

Step five is where the changes in price are made. The data collected is applied to a profit-cost curve and changes are made depending on whether or not goals are met. This is done at the end of the season. This is why we see changes in seating price from season to season and not randomly throughout the season.

All this is really important because it proves your "as people get more desperate they'll pay anything" argument doesn't hold much water. They're not going to have to "pay anything" because the prices aren't going to change until next year because if they do they risk skewing the data and missing out on a ton of money by miscalculating their target profits. Its extremely risky to make a huge change like that in the middle of your marketing plan. Pushing people to the cheaper seats is also a terrible idea and marketing strategy because the "bad" seats typically have smaller target profits which means their less likely to reach their goals for that year again resulting in lower target profits for the next year.

Anyone with even a bit of sales/marketing experience knows what their master plan is. It's to reach their goals to increase their target profits. Pushing people to seats with smaller profit margins so they can attempt to sell the higher priced seats later doesn't make sense because the prices aren't going to change. All it does is make them risk not selling premium seats with higher profit margins in exchange for cheaper seats with lower profit margins. There's no reason to do it. It's not going to help them reach their goal on an organizational level and It's also going to hurt sales reps on a more individual level because their commissions are going to drop from selling cheaper seats.

I also brought up the internet because its another reason that negates any reason to lie to potential buyers. Why take money out of sales reps pockets and risk not meeting your quotas to hope they tell their friends seats are running out when the business itself can just go on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, create an email marketing campaign, or go on their website and post "seats are running out. get them quick"? They'll reach far more people, generate far more buzz, and not risk losing sales on premium seating with higher profit margins.

Again, I don't mean to offend anyone. I just felt that the sales team at the barclays/isles is being demonized unfairly.

I hope this cleared things up a bit. If anyone has anymore questions feel free to message me. I have a masters in marketing and years of experience. I'd be happy to elaborate more but felt that this post is already long enough haha.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
FWIW - I picked up my season tickets in January and had been monitoring my section before and after.

When I first started looking there were 200 seats in my 2 sections of interest. When I finally signed up there were currently 140. Now there are 2. If they were holding back inventory (which is totally possible and for certain rows probably likely) for those sections its probably time to throw some more on the map.
(for full disclosure, the sections were 210/222)

Anecdotal evidence that i've gotten is that while its not convenient for the Suffolk crowd its very convenient for the "works in city crowd". I picked mine up bc i moved off the 4-5-6 line in Manhattan and was easily able to sell off 10 games for next year to friends that live in Nassau and work in Manhattan during the week.

Your experience - which is similar to mine albeit yours is a little earlier - is the main reason I believe the sales are going well. I have no doubt that certain of the seats that were already "unavailable" when you first looked were held back by the Islanders. Of course they were - for a variety of reasons. But, of the 200 seats initially available, I believe that those were generally picked up by fans. Is it possible that the Islanders pretended that they were bought and made them unavailable to the general public to create the perception that ticket sales were going better than they are? Sure, I guess its possible - we don't have the names and SSNs of the folks in those seats so what the *&^& do we know? But if you follow the inventory day in and day out, it doesn't appear that way.

Re your second point, we were having this discussion at work. I never thought of it this way, but for the Nassau crowd working in the city, Barclays is really no different than going to a Rags or Knicks game at the Garden. You can jump right on the LIRR right after the game and be home in roughly the same time. Changing in Jamaica potentially comes into play in both situations. Sure it could take you longer to get to the game at the start, depending where you work, but it also could be more convenient (if you work downtown).

I suspect that most Nassau STHs kept their seats for the first season to see how it goes. For a long time STH, if he can make 60% of the games he used but can get rid of his tickets at or close to face for the games he can't go, he may think its worthwhile. The Suffolk fan got screwed - there's no disputing that. I'm sure the vast majority of those guys gave up their tickets.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm going to preface what I'm about to say with yes, I'm going to miss going to games at the coliseum.

What I'm not going to miss. My seat from my ticket plan having wooden blocks holding it up since Nassau was too cheap to fix it. I'm not going to miss having to go outside to the bathroom since that was the best option. I'm not going to miss having to deal with Nassau county politics, Kate Murray, Mangano and anyone else in that ****ed up county.

Yes I'm aware of the history behind the building. But as a 33 year old that's all I view it as... history. Growing up I dealt with a crap arena, a crap team, multiple owners, Mike Milbury, Fisherman jerseys, etc. The list goes on.

So to me bring on the barclays. I'm excited to go there rather than the coliseum. I hope that place becomes as barron as Roosevelt Raceway. I hope nothing but the worst for the politicians and the people that refused to get behind a new arena.

This is the first place I could honestly have nothing but good memories of. Where there could be real history I could witness instead of just getting in thrown in my face night after nice by all those cheap cash grabs by Wang and the other owners doing nothing but talking about how good it was instead of how good it was going to be now and in the future.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm going to preface what I'm about to say with yes, I'm going to miss going to games at the coliseum.

What I'm not going to miss. My seat from my ticket plan having wooden blocks holding it up since Nassau was too cheap to fix it. I'm not going to miss having to go outside to the bathroom since that was the best option. I'm not going to miss having to deal with Nassau county politics, Kate Murray, Mangano and anyone else in that ****ed up county.

Yes I'm aware of the history behind the building. But as a 33 year old that's all I view it as... history. Growing up I dealt with a crap arena, a crap team, multiple owners, Mike Milbury, Fisherman jerseys, etc. The list goes on.

So to me bring on the barclays. I'm excited to go there rather than the coliseum. I hope that place becomes as barron as Roosevelt Raceway. I hope nothing but the worst for the politicians and the people that refused to get behind a new arena.

This is the first place I could honestly have nothing but good memories of. Where there could be real history I could witness instead of just getting in thrown in my face night after nice by all those cheap cash grabs by Wang and the other owners doing nothing but talking about how good it was instead of how good it was going to be now and in the future.

Bruno - can't remember from the old thread....did you get tix at Barclays? If so, how many games do you roughly plan on going to?

Just curious as to what the folks from Suffolk's general plans are for next year.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Bruno - can't remember from the old thread....did you get tix at Barclays? If so, how many games do you roughly plan on going to?

Just curious as to what the folks from Suffolk's general plans are for next year.

They were only selling Full Plans when I talked to my rep. I'm waiting till they offer a weekend plan of some sort. I live in Medford and work in Farmingdale so that's all that I can do at the moment.

I've gone to both Isles pre season games and took in my first basketball game there and I think it's a good place to watch a game. I won't be going as much as I do now but I figure I can make more of a night out of it with whoever I go with.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I don't think anybody was married to the idea that the Isles had to remain in the Coliseum as if it was a shrine and hallowed ground. Everyone I spoke to over the years agreed that the building needed to be replaced for the Isles to remain competitive. They should have been able to get a new arena built on their current site.

If the Canadiens can move out of The Forum, the Isles could play in a new building.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Your experience - which is similar to mine albeit yours is a little earlier - is the main reason I believe the sales are going well. I have no doubt that certain of the seats that were already "unavailable" when you first looked were held back by the Islanders. Of course they were - for a variety of reasons. But, of the 200 seats initially available, I believe that those were generally picked up by fans. Is it possible that the Islanders pretended that they were bought and made them unavailable to the general public to create the perception that ticket sales were going better than they are? Sure, I guess its possible - we don't have the names and SSNs of the folks in those seats so what the *&^& do we know? But if you follow the inventory day in and day out, it doesn't appear that way.

Re your second point, we were having this discussion at work. I never thought of it this way, but for the Nassau crowd working in the city, Barclays is really no different than going to a Rags or Knicks game at the Garden. You can jump right on the LIRR right after the game and be home in roughly the same time. Changing in Jamaica potentially comes into play in both situations. Sure it could take you longer to get to the game at the start, depending where you work, but it also could be more convenient (if you work downtown).

I suspect that most Nassau STHs kept their seats for the first season to see how it goes. For a long time STH, if he can make 60% of the games he used but can get rid of his tickets at or close to face for the games he can't go, he may think its worthwhile. The Suffolk fan got screwed - there's no disputing that. I'm sure the vast majority of those guys gave up their tickets.

I put myself in the same group as the Nassau County STH's. I'm an Eastern Queens resident who will try it out as an STH at Barclays. If I can get rid of the weeknight games that I can't make because of the anticipated later start times at Barclays than at Nassau I will probably continue to keep the tickets. If I end up getting stuck with too many games I will bail out.

BroadwayJay*

I put myself in the same group as the Nassau County STH's. I'm an Eastern Queens resident who will try it out as an STH at Barclays. If I can get rid of the weeknight games that I can't make because of the anticipated later start times at Barclays than at Nassau I will probably continue to keep the tickets. If I end up getting stuck with too many games I will bail out.

If you want, and our seats are comparable, I'd be happy to trade some of my weekends for some of your weeknights if I end up with any after our dispersal draft.

I'm 210 R2. If you want.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Generally speaking --- I'll be catching a couple of games here and there, last minute, on days that I'm working in NYC.

I can't see myself making the journey on Saturdays, with trains taking 1:20 + each way. Home opener and playoffs, naturally are exempt.

If I'm already in NYC for work, then its far more doable.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If you want, and our seats are comparable, I'd be happy to trade some of my weekends for some of your weeknights if I end up with any after our dispersal draft.

I'm 210 R2. If you want.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Possibly pooling our tickets together when the need arises. I have your info in my address book.

Pair in 222 R6. Similar vantage points.

BroadwayJay*

Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Possibly pooling our tickets together when the need arises. I have your info in my address book.

Pair in 222 R6. Similar vantage points.

That's a switch I'd make, no problem.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
just wondering, how many (if any) on this board couldnt goto games in LI bc they worked in NYC, but now will be able to jet right to the game and head home after?

FYI, i am talking about LI residents...

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
It means they are trying to leverage the term 'brooklyn' as a style brand to make money. It will be used IN ADDITION to Isles regular stuff.

Aesthetically, nothing the Barclays people do can be worse than the black third jerseys. I'll be content as long as no one touches the royal blue/white home/away jerseys

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Something to keep in mind: All team names, logos, etc. are owned by the NHL and all that money is split 30 ways. This, I think, bypasses that pool since nothing here -- not the logo or the team name -- is NHL owned. My guess is that this will never touch anything "official" but you'll see the crap marketed out of it on jerseys, shirts, hats, etc. sold at Models and similar outlets. More money for the Barclays folks and a way to capitalize on the Brooklyn rather than the Islanders brand.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Alright, so, first of all I hope I'm not breaking any rules by quoting a post from the last thread but I think there were a lot of slanderous claims made towards the Isles/Barclays sales/marketing team in the last thread based on some huge misconceptions and I think they need to be cleared up. I also want to say that its not my intention to offend isles fan or anyone else and I apologize if it comes off that way.

There's some real big misconceptions here and some pretty heavy allegations made towards the sales reps here that arise from naivety. I'm gonna try and explain this in the most basic way possible and I'm just trying to point out that it really doesn't make any sense for the sales reps to mislead anyone in the ways being alleged from a sales/marketing POV.

Shortened your quote for space purposes.

TGS, he's speculating more than anything, which he can do no matter how wrong he may or may not be.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'd consider buying a hat with that logo, BTW. Simple, but not as plain as their ten-minutes-in-MSPaint basketball logo. Twenty minutes in MSPaint.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
That logo looks ripe for a shoulder patch and maybe some other secondary merchandise. It's not a "trademark this to replace the current NYI logo" situation.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
That logo looks ripe for a shoulder patch and maybe some other secondary merchandise. It's not a "trademark this to replace the current NYI logo" situation.

I keep trying to picture it as a patch to the current jersey and it's just not happening, makes it look like we're honoring someone who died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad