Discussion; ALL Things for Isles move to Brooklyn: Part VII (Read OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Ice Girls Fired

http://www.si.com/nhl/photos/2015/01/20/new-york-islanders-ice-girls/28

The New York Islanders will cart plenty of tradition along with them as they make their move from the Nassau Coliseum to Brooklyn’s Barclays Center for the 2015-16 season. But one longstanding tradition will be very noticeable by its absence: the Islanders Ice Girls. In their place will be a co-ed ice crew charged with “helping create the best ice possible as mandated by the NHL.†Back in 2001, the Isles were the first NHL club to create a cheerleader-style Ice Girls squad that, along with performing various promotional duties, was charged with shoveling loose snow off the ice at stoppages.

Sad about this, I sincerely doubt this "co-ed ice crew" is really going to be an improvement: I just see it as an excuse to pay less money because they can now hire any desperate idiot off the street and claim they're an elite shoveler or some crap.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Sad about this, I sincerely doubt this "co-ed ice crew" is really going to be an improvement: I just see it as an excuse to pay less money because they can now hire any desperate idiot off the street and claim they're an elite shoveler or some crap.

If I had to take a guess -- wait -- lemme get the ole Corsilator out...

yup.. I was right.

Only 4% of the population in the tristate area has the skating skills required to be an "ice-person".

So I don't think "any idiot off the street" would be capable. :)

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

HumphreyBrogart

Apr 12, 2007
Mineola, LI/ Hoboken

Except that it's been reported that Ice Girls don't really make much money to begin with.

Excerpt from this article:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/06/philadelphia-flyers-ice-girls-los-angeles-kings-new-york-rangers-stanley-cup-finals

"The Kings women I spoke with were paid about $15 per hour for corporate and charity appearances, and less for games—they worked between 10 and 30 hours per week. But some of them spent as much as $350 per month on makeup, including foundation (camera flash-ready, not loose powder), eyebrow waxing, teeth whitening, and hair supplies. The Flyers women had professional makeup people and hair stylists, but they made significantly less money—$50 for about seven hours of work on game day. A Kings representative declined to comment on the women's claims, and the Flyers did not respond to detailed voice and email messages."

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think the Ice Girl issue along with the "New Goal Song" Thread should be merged into the "things which mean nothing" thread.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I assume he's calling people over the high priced items; luxury suites/lower bowl, close to the ice seats. A ********* like me in the 200s isn't going to hear from him.

I'm assumming that he is taking a break from the standard day of calling potential zamboni drivers and apologizing to the moms of japs from Merrick for making their daughters unemployed.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Has anybody seen this report that Prohkorov is close to an agreement where he would buy all of the Nets and Barclays Center? The Nets are irrelevant, but he previously owned only 45% of the BC, now he would own 100%, going from minority owner to sole owner. How, if at all, does this impact the Isles? I would think that this pushes Yormark and Ratner out of the picture, no? As far as I understand, the only reason they were so involved with the Isles is because they are with the Barclays owner/management group, they are not ACTUAL owners of the Isles in any way. I found this interesting because Yormark in particular has seemed to be very involved with all things Islanders recently.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I'm assuming he means 8k+ seats - not subscribers. Based on what I've seen on SH, a significant % of those STs are owned by brokers. A lot more than I thought would happen.

But, I think he's probably right about the sellouts - at least in the first year. There will be enough people wanting to check out the new digs - especially on the few weekend games, that there will probably be a good number of sellouts. What happens in the following years remains to be seen.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
NVMC had a low number for FULL STH, most games were attended by people paying less than STH and market rates AND the Isles rarely sold out.

Now, people are going to play attendance comparison? Haha, good luck with that.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Ah yes, the marketing genius. They will have many sell outs in a new building........what a genius!!!!!! And the third jersey......you keep knocking it out of the park Mr. marketer of the year!!!!!!

8K STH? But the co owner is calling fans to get them to commit.....hmmmm.

The largest jump in the NHL.....when you start from zero not realyy anything to crow about.

BroadwayJay*

Ah yes, the marketing genius. They will have many sell outs in a new building........what a genius!!!!!! And the third jersey......you keep knocking it out of the park Mr. marketer of the year!!!!!!

8K STH? But the co owner is calling fans to get them to commit.....hmmmm.

The largest jump in the NHL.....when you start from zero not realyy anything to crow about.

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad