Discussing the McLellan postgame

McDeathbyCheerios*

Duncan Keith played his first NHL season he played an average 23:26 minutes a game.

He turned out so bad.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Schultz led the Oilers in D ice time the last two years and is tied with Nurse for 2nd this season(you think Klef played D on his own?). Watching every game it was very easy to determine who he was playing against and the situations he was put in.

You're wrong on this but I'm tired of arguing about it...

Jeezus man. These are stats. Not subjective impressions. If JS were playing against top competition it would show in the qualcomp numbers. You can't argue against numbers by telling people to watch the games and posting a [:shakehead].

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Duncan Keith played his first NHL season he played an average 23:26 minutes a game.

He turned out so bad.

Again...a massive oversimplification on your part.

Maybe you should consider factoring in the variables I mentioned in a previous post. Instead you just seem to be myopically repeating the same rhetoric.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The problem is that he didnt get sheltered minutes. Also...look at the players also grouped in the top 4 on this team over that time.

It wouldn't qualify as a legit top 4 on any other team in the NHL but yet you equate the situations as being equal.

They arent equal...not even close. This team had no ability to shelter Schultz. None.

That's the problem.

Smid/Petry was statistically one of the best shutdown pairings in the league in Schultz's rookie season.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The problem is that he didnt get sheltered minutes. Also...look at the players also grouped in the top 4 on this team over that time.

It wouldn't qualify as a legit top 4 on any other team in the NHL but yet you equate the situations as being equal.

They arent equal...not even close. This team had no ability to shelter Schultz. None.

That's the problem.
Except he was getting sheltered for the most part. He was facing average competition not top guys.

A guy who is literally the best in the ahl, comes in as a 21/22 year old after playing a full go at college can usually handle top 4 minutes.

He was given top 2 minutes while playing mostly against weaker competition as the other d took care of the better players.

That is called sheltering.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Maybe you should consider factoring in the variables I mentioned in a previous post. Instead you just seem to be myopically repeating the same rhetoric.
I am providing stats to prove you wrong

And all you are doing is repeating the same thing and saying i am wrong.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
There is literally a stat that keeps track of the guys they are playing against. Schultz was often playing against 2nd and 3rd liners or lower.

I guess you have kept track of every shift he has played in your head and the stat that keeps track of it is completely wrong compared to you?

Good thing is I know he's wrong and have no desire to go down the road. You can find a stat to prove any point in pretty much any situation. Usually depends on interpretation of the information, who's gathering it for what return, storage, etc..

I know Eakins thought the world of stats..How did that work out? Didn't MacT pick up Fayne because of some stat? Sorry, it's a game of too many eventualities to use simple numbers to determine outcomes BUT you can make the outcomes look like anything you want with them...That's great.

Sometimes, at the end of the day, it comes down to 'saw it better'...

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Schultz looks like a guy that's just not into it anymore. He might not even be in the NHL next year.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Good thing is I know he's wrong and have no desire to go down the road. You can find a stat to prove any point in pretty much any situation. Usually depends on interpretation of the information, who's gathering it for what return, storage, etc..

I know Eakins thought the world of stats..How did that work out? Didn't MacT pick up Fayne because of some stat? Sorry, it's a game of too many eventualities to use simple numbers to determine outcomes BUT you can make the outcomes look like anything you want with them...That's great.

Sometimes, at the end of the day, it comes down to 'saw it better'...
I saw you once say you hate the Oilers and the Flames are your favorite team and you can't prove me wrong because i saw it better.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Look at last night. Schultz was on ice for 2/3 of the first goals. Both score by the 3rd and 4th Ottawa lines. Total tough minutes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Smid/Petry was statistically one of the best shutdown pairings in the league in Schultz's rookie season.

Huh?
Petry/Smid was hardly one of the best top pairing tandems in the NHL. Hardly even a legit top pairing combo...more like a solid 2nd pairing on any decent team. You are using a 48 game season to arrive at faulty conclusions.

So for you Smid went from being a solid top pairing dman to an expendable player in 1 year? Nonsense.

The point is the Schultz should have been playing bottom pairing minutes from day 1.
Not 2nd pairing minutes (behind a suspect top pair) which was forced on him by the roster inadequacies.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Jeezus man. These are stats. Not subjective impressions. If JS were playing against top competition it would show in the qualcomp numbers. You can't argue against numbers by telling people to watch the games and posting a [:shakehead].

LOL..Yes because these qualcomp numbers magically appear after each game without any interaction from people and are the new world?
You few are a little late to the game. These were use a few years back but they're already been dismissed and teams are shifting from them because, again, they realize there is no such thing as 'magic' numbers.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Huh?
Petry/Smid was hardly one of the best top pairing tandems in the NHL. Hardly even a legit top pairing combo...more like a solid 2nd pairing on any decent team. You are using a 48 game season to arrive at faulty conclusions.

So for you Smid went from being a solid top pairing dman to an expendable player in 1 year? Nonsense.

The point is the Schultz should have been playing bottom pairing minutes from day 1.
Not 2nd pairing minutes (behind a suspect top pair) which was forced on him by the roster inadequacies.
You just simply don't understand.

Who is in front of you in the lineup only matters if you have to play the tough match ups they arent. Yes they weren't a great top pairing but they were still taking the tough match ups away from Schultz.

That's a fact.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I am providing stats to prove you wrong

And all you are doing is repeating the same thing and saying i am wrong.

No...you are providing opinions based on faulty assumptions.

I think that is pretty clear by virtue of your player comparisons.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Then this team needs to be totally demolished, all teh players we thought were a help are not, Hall, Drai, Nuge, Eberle, Nurse, kelf, all gone.

You guys do realize we are DEAD last in the league and this is with our best players other than mcdavid starting to move into their prime years.

There is not one valid excuse in the world in my mind why this team is dead last, not one when you look at what other teams have to work with.

We keep on eating the same garbage that is fed to us each year with a resigned attitude. I for one expect more than dead last with some of the caliber of players we have on the team.
:handclap:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

It's pretty obvious he's simply a numbers guy and doesn't really understand the idiosyncrasies of playing an NHL game. I have a feeling you're wasting your time.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No...you are providing opinions based on faulty assumptions.

I think that is pretty clear by virtue of your player comparisons.
You said playing top 4 minutes is bad for a rookie. I am showing you it isn't as long as the player can be sheltered and isn't 18

McDeathbyCheerios*

It's pretty obvious he's simply a numbers guy and doesn't really understand the idiosyncrasies of playing an NHL game. I have a feeling you're wasting your time.
You clearly have never seen me post then.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Actually i use numbers myself BUT you cant just use numbers in a vacuum and then extrapolate that to opinions regarding other player in other scenarios and then claim its bullet proof.

Thats just silliness.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Look at last night. Schultz was on ice for 2/3 of the first goals. Both score by the 3rd and 4th Ottawa lines. Total tough minutes.

Yes because every night the 1st line is the best line..Ah, that's what I've been missing...You're assuming because he doesn't always play #1 or #2 line that it's easy competition? No wonder...

Never mind...I get it now...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad