Discussing the McLellan postgame

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I guess that needle that Todd keeps talking about has moved back quite a few notches the last few weeks. Its a shame because I actually did believe the team was making progress the first 50 games. Now I don't even know what to think anymore.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
We have a worse defense than other teams we have better for wards and equal tending to other teams. If our lack of defense can totally neutralize Hall, Drai, McDaivd, Eberle, etc they are not near the players we thought.

Last nine games goals scored?

1,2,2,3,1,5,1,1,1 six of those games at home.

I have an analogy for you.

'Hey Beerfish, let's play catch!'

'Okay, sure, sounds fun!'

*Me, being a dick,throws the ball in the totally opposite direction from you, or way over your head, or into the trees.*

*Bystander, also being a dick* - Hey, Beerfish? Why haven't you caught anything you bum!

Welcome to being an Oiler forward, where no defenceman can break a cycle, clear the zone, or make any kind of halfway decent pass.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I have an analogy for you.

'Hey Beerfish, let's play catch!'

'Okay, sure, sounds fun!'

*Me, being a dick,throws the ball in the totally opposite direction from you, or way over your head, or into the trees.*

*Bystander, also being a dick* - Hey, Beerfish? Why haven't you caught anything you bum!

Welcome to being an Oiler forward, where no defenceman can break a cycle, clear the zone, or make any kind of halfway decent pass.
I compare it to football.
Running back gets called **** because they don't have a lot of touch downs or yards this year.

Look at the quarterback and they are the worst quarterback in the entire lead and can't make a pass to save their lives.

If we had defense with a high amount of assists or even league average then it makes sense to look at the forwards for a big fault for their offense. But when their
d cant support, get a pass thru or have any offensive smarts. Makes it kind of hard.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
until he starts benching guys and healthy scratching guys, I really don't care what he says... it seems like nobody is being held accountable. Schultz was horrendous last night yet he played the most mins on the team and was on the ice while goalie was pulled and the team desperately needed to score.

I swear Todd is going nutty having to coach these guys or something

wayne

Jan 3, 2016
Fredericton, NB

Exactly. There may be some forwards that aren't helping either but in general they are on their own every shift. Not just making things happen, but doing so after spending 30s of desperation play trying to help the defensemen just get the damn puck out past their own blue line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ooooooo the coach finally got mad. How about if he does his job and bench the guys hes p'oed at or cut their minutes to nothing. It's his friggin job to get something out ot this team, a team that has way more talent than a half dozen teams ahead of them in the standings.

Likely because he's being told by his GM to play them so they can be traded. And we've all seen, talent alone is not enough to win at this level. At lot of other intagibles go into being successful. Not to mention, it shows how pathetic the depth in this organization.

McDeathbyCheerios*

until he starts benching guys and healthy scratching guys, I really don't care what he says... it seems like nobody is being held accountable. Schultz was horrendous last night yet he played the most mins on the team and was on the ice while goalie was pulled and the team desperately needed to score.

Which point to management asking for some guys being shown off for trades. Which is what i think made him snap last night.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Ooooooo the coach finally got mad. How about if he does his job and bench the guys hes p'oed at or cut their minutes to nothing. It's his friggin job to get something out ot this team, a team that has way more talent than a half dozen teams ahead of them in the standings.

if Justin Schultz is here after the TDL is still playing big minutes, then rip McLellan but I see it as a showcase and showcase only

I mean, they brought Nikitin up for a game because Colorado wanted to see him in game action

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I guess that needle that Todd keeps talking about has moved back quite a few notches the last few weeks. Its a shame because I actually did believe the team was making progress the first 50 games. Now I don't even know what to think anymore.

We're in garbage time now. A whole lot easier to have enthusiastic players when there is at least an inkling of a chance of playing some meaningful games. The last 2 weeks, the team has come to the realization that the dream of playoffs is dead this year, and it shows. Vancouver and Calgary are in the same boat, and struggling. And then to top it off, we're in the selling group of teams, which is going to affect how people play. Not giving out excuses, but this shouldn't be entirely unexpected. Maybe the level of suckage, but not the results. And all it takes is 2 or 3 guys to drag a team down. Fortunately, that group will be long gone in a week.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Nice someone asked McLellan why he's playing Schultz so much.

Unfortunately, his response was, "Why do you think?"

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Another guy that didn't get the memo. They're trying to trade these guys. Historically, when you want to trade people, you play them. Don't worry, in a week, TM will be able to pick and choose who plays once again.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Another guy that didn't get the memo. They're trying to trade these guys. Historically, when you want to trade people, you play them. Don't worry, in a week, TM will be able to pick and choose who plays once again.

with the way schultz has played they should have pulled the coaches doghouse but hes a great player that just needs a change of scenery. instead of the lets play him and remove all doubt he doesnt suck

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

hahah if that's actually their plan, they are brain dead and have it completely backwards.

By playing him more, they are showing the rest of the NHL how terrible he is, how terrible he is with a lot of ice and how terrible he is when being counted on to score a goal when goalie is pulled. Everyone knows he is terrible, but it solidified it last night and I cant see any team wanting him even if he was given to them for free

I really hope that wasn't their plan as to why they are playing him cause if so, I am completely dumbfounded

McDeathbyCheerios*

Gregor was saying that McLellan mentioned that we have a few more days here to get thru and then you will probably see guys getting benched.

Which makes it even more apparent ice time is being dictated a lot by teams wanting to see certain players.

McDeathbyCheerios*

hahah if that's actually their plan, they are brain dead and have it completely backwards.

By playing him more, they are showing the rest of the NHL how terrible he is, how terrible he is with a lot of ice and how terrible he is when being counted on to score a goal when goalie is pulled.

I really hope that wasn't their plan as to why they are playing him cause if so, I am completely dumbfounded
So scouts and gms that are coming to see him play won't want to see 8 minutes or him in the press box.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

By playing him more, they are showing the rest of the NHL how terrible he is, how terrible he is with a lot of ice and how terrible he is when being counted on to score a goal when goalie is pulled. Everyone knows he is terrible, but it solidified it last night and I cant see any team wanting him even if he was given to them for free

Send in your coaching/GM resume while there's still time before next season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So scouts and gms that are coming to see him play won't want to see 8 minutes or him in the press box.

oh I agree with that too haha... imo its a lose lose situation... if they play him a lot, scouts/gm's see how horrendous he is.... if they bench him, they obviously don't see him.

Id much rather have seen him play 3rd pairing mins and 2nd pairing PP. IMO he would have safer games as far as not looking terrible

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Gregor was saying that McLellan mentioned that we have a few more days here to get thru and then you will probably see guys getting benched.

Which makes it even more apparent ice time is being dictated a lot by teams wanting to see certain players.

lol as if the other GMs arent just having a field day.

so we'd like to get a look at nikitin, schultz and fayne alot

lolololol no no we dont want them we just like seeing you get rolled by ottawa lolololol

McDeathbyCheerios*

lol as if the other GMs arent just having a field day.

so we'd like to get a look at nikitin, schultz and fayne alot

lolololol no no we dont want them we just like seeing you get rolled by ottawa lolololol
This is actually pretty common when it comes to teams who decide to be sellers.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nice someone asked McLellan why he's playing Schultz so much.

Unfortunately, his response was, "Why do you think?"

That look on his face when he said 'Why do you think?'

:laugh: :biglaugh:

Might have well just come out with it and said 'Pete's got a few teams interested that want to see him play'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad