Discussing the McLellan postgame

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Some pretty powerful stuff there from Todd. The Koala showed his fangs. :yo:

Schultz has pretty clearly played his last game as an Oiler, and I think McLellan has had more than enough of guys without a heartbeat like Fayne and Purcell.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I love how blunt and succinct he is. No long-winded tangents (Renney), philosophical nonsense (Eakins), or flat out ineptitude (MacT) with this guy...just straight-shooting zingers.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ooooooo the coach finally got mad. How about if he does his job and bench the guys hes p'oed at or cut their minutes to nothing. It's his friggin job to get something out ot this team, a team that has way more talent than a half dozen teams ahead of them in the standings.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ooooooo the coach finally got mad. How about if he does his job and bench the guys hes p'oed at or cut their minutes to nothing. It's his friggin job to get something out ot this team, a team that has way more talent than a half dozen teams ahead of them in the standings.

To be honest I think this is a myth. Where exactly is the "Talent" on our team? There's no 40 goal scorers (and possibly not even a 30 goal scorer), there's no 100 point guys (McDavid will likely be one), there's maybe 1 top 4 defenseman and we have an average goalie.

Just because we drafted high a bunch of times doesn't make us talented. At least at anything besides losing.

It's kind of ironic that outside of McDavid our most skilled and talented forward was drafted at 22nd overall.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
His level of frustration is just so obvious. He has clearly seen enough and has had enough.
Chiarelli is clearly in the same boat.

This will undoubtedly be the most interesting off season in terms of players changes we have seen in years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I can pretty much guarantee you that the only reason Schultz has been playing is because the Oilers are trying to trade him and other teams are wanting to see him.

McLellan's been asked to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. He's cut the goal differential in half with the most injured roster in the NHL and pretty much no major changes from the last two years. He doesn't make decisions on player movement.

If he cut the minutes of everyone that's deserving right now, the top line would be McDavid with Pakarinen and Yakupov playing 45 minutes a night. Defence would be Davidson and Oesterle playing 45 minutes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I can pretty much guarantee you that the only reason Schultz has been playing is because the Oilers are trying to trade him and other teams are wanting to see him.

McLellan's been asked to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. He's cut the goal differential in half with the most injured roster in the NHL and pretty much no major changes from the last two years. He doesn't make decisions on player movement.

If he cut the minutes of everyone that's deserving right now, the top line would be McDavid with Pakarinen and Yakupov playing 45 minutes a night. Defence would be Davidson and Oesterle playing 45 minutes.

100% agree.

McLellan has been handcuffed by a number of items (lack of depth...lack of grit) not the least of which is the need to market certain players.

McDeathbyCheerios*

100% agree.

McLellan has been handcuffed by a number of items (lack of depth...lack of grit) not the least of which is the need to market certain players.
Happens to most bad teams. Can't sit the players you are trying to move.

That's why he exploded. He needs to play some of these guys to get them traded bit he really doesn't want to because of how they play

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
To be honest I think this is a myth. Where exactly is the "Talent" on our team? There's no 40 goal scorers (and possibly not even a 30 goal scorer), there's no 100 point guys (McDavid will likely be one), there's maybe 1 top 4 defenseman and we have an average goalie.

Just because we drafted high a bunch of times doesn't make us talented. At least at anything besides losing.

It's kind of ironic that outside of McDavid our most skilled and talented forward was drafted at 22nd overall.

Hall wasn't drafted 22nd.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Loved his comments. Blunt and brutally honest is way better than fitness guru and his ****ing moral victories.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Happens to most bad teams. Can't sit the players you are trying to move.

That's why he exploded. He needs to play some of these guys to get them traded bit he really doesn't want to because of how they play

Oh for sure.

My point is that this situation is clearly new to him. Being associated with this level of failure has to be very tough to take.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Look at our roster and compare to Carolina, toronto, buff, Arizona, etc etc etc

The talent is:

McDavid already the best player on our team
Hall top 5 lw suppsodely
Eberle one of the top RW as far as consistently scoring
RNH
Pouliot
Sekera

Our goalies. We have enough talent even with injuries to at least compete, which theya re not doing at all, and no it is not all jschultz fault.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So good to see this. A man who's had enough and is in a bad position.

About time he called out these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The talent is:

Hall top 5 lw suppsodely
RNH
Pouliot
Sekera

Our goalies. We have enough talent even with injuries to at least compete, which theya re not doing at all, and no it is not all jschultz fault.

Talent matters very little when there is a lack of balance on the roster and most of the team lacks a high compete level. Also the defence is deplorable.

Until these things change it wont matter who the coach is.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
A prime Scotty Bowman wouldn't be able to get this team anywhere.

Time for players to start being held responsible.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

And every one with a brain can see he has checked out and his value is LOWERING each game, not to mention he might get hurt, not to mention, what are we going to get for him? A 3rd rather than a 4th? You don't show case players if they are causing the team that much grief.

Okay so chia is fully to blame in your mind? Because as is the usual oiler mantra no one is to blame, the coach? Nope, the Gm nope. If you are calling Hall, mcdavid, drai, nuge, eberle, sekera shi* then I guess you have a point. None of them will be worth a lick if we try and trade them. PP stinks, pk stinks, other teams with rosters that pale produce something, effort if nothing else.

Instead his solution is to cut noones minutes and gift time to lazy players and ones who have totally checked out.

It's his job to get better results than dead last, he's supposedly a quality vet coach, coach them up. and if he can't coach anyone up other than mcdavid then this team needs to be gutted, as in all of the previous core gone.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The talent is:

Hall top 5 lw suppsodely
RNH
Pouliot
Sekera

You missed the black hole of a blueline that is currently Sekera, two rookies being asked to play over their heads, and pure landfill.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Talent matters very little when there is a lack of balance on the roster and most of the team lacks a high compete level. Also the defence is deplorable.

Until these things change it wont matter who the coach is.

Then this team needs to be totally demolished, all teh players we thought were a help are not, Hall, Drai, Nuge, Eberle, Nurse, kelf, all gone.

You guys do realize we are DEAD last in the league and this is with our best players other than mcdavid starting to move into their prime years.

There is not one valid excuse in the world in my mind why this team is dead last, not one when you look at what other teams have to work with.

We keep on eating the same garbage that is fed to us each year with a resigned attitude. I for one expect more than dead last with some of the caliber of players we have on the team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's his job to get better results than dead last, he's supposedly a quality vet coach, coach them up. and if he can't coach anyone up other than mcdavid then this team needs to be gutted, as in all of the previous core gone.

You made it impossible for me to quote your reply to me, thanks for that.

I'm saying the blame for the sorry mess that is this team goes a lot further back than two guys that have been on the job for eight months.

It's super easy for nobodies like you and me to say 'Coach them up!' but in reality in today's NHL you are not going ANYWHERE with a blueline like ours and so many of the same kind of player in the lineup.

I'm 100% serious when I say I think this team would be better with David Musil and Jujhar Khaira on it instead of Schultz and Purcell.

Great defence and horrible offense = Trap it up, friends! Hell, teams have won Cups playing like that.
Great offense and horrible defence = Never going to win anything.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You missed the black hole of a blueline that is currently Sekera, two rookies being asked to play over their heads, and pure landfill.

We have a worse defense than other teams we have better for wards and equal tending to other teams. If our lack of defense can totally neutralize Hall, Drai, McDaivd, Eberle, etc they are not near the players we thought.

Last nine games goals scored?

1,2,2,3,1,5,1,1,1 six of those games at home.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The talent is:

Hall top 5 lw suppsodely
RNH
Pouliot
Sekera

But they've never competed. This team isn't that drastically different from last year and they would've finished last if not for Arizona and Buffalo tanking. We have a top line and little else. The bottom 6 is dreadful, the defense is the worst in the league and the goaltending is... okay.

We have a good first line. That's all we have.

McDeathbyCheerios*

We have a worse defense than other teams we have better for wards and equal tending to other teams. If our lack of defense can totally neutralize Hall, Drai, McDaivd, Eberle, etc they are not near the players we thought.

Last nine games goals scored?

1,2,2,3,1,5,1,1,1 six of those games at home.
You do realize we have the absolute worst d in the league offensively and it greatly effects our forwards numbers right?

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
One thing I've noticed is McLellan has throughout mentioned that there is a handful of players on this team not pulling their weight consistently. Every time we have a piss poor effort, he'd call out what seems to be the same guys.

We know Schultz is a part of that, I wonder who else. I mean, we're significantly into this rebuild yet we have far too many nights of piss poor effort. We've changed coaches and landed one other better ones in the NHL, so it's not 'lost the lockerroom' or anything like that, but rather the players. I do wonder if it is one(or more) of the original young guns considering all the changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad