OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wholesale changes for Chelsea and Lampard calling out players....better figure it out Frank....would hate to see you canned.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Tire fire org. Even with the 2 wins.

Arteta is cleaning house and some guys are probably trying to force a move this window. My guess is Ceballos. He's been a healthy sub quite a bit and there are rumors he may return to RM. He was also involved in a fight during training.

Otherwise maybe Sokratis who hasn't been playing, has been linked to Napoli, and might want a new home before year end. It would also fit his personality.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And suddenly the Gunners are six points off the top four.

Granted because of 2 wins vs cupcakes and a surprise victory over Chelsea, but the interesting bit is how it's mostly youth plus Laca with the rest of the big expensive names contributing almost nothing due to injury or benching (Auba, Partey, Ozil, Ceballos, Pepe, Willian).

Could be some guys jockeying for spots ahead of the window.

Saka is legit.

Oh, and they never should have let Martinez go in favor of Leno, imo. Leno is good but I always thought Martinez would be special. Sure enough, leading EPL in clean sheets for Aston.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
And Chelski are having the opposite kind of festive period. Citeh are playing them off the park so far today. It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments Lampard makes at halftime. Given the amount of money they spent this summer he has to be feeling the pressure.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And Chelski are having the opposite kind of festive period. Citeh are playing them off the park so far today. It will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments Lampard makes at halftime. Given the amount of money they spent this summer he has to be feeling the pressure.

I’d bench 2/3 of the squad after this start next time out.

no fire in the ranks....couple of crap calls/non-calls (cleat to the chest....no harm no foul right lol) and they fold.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I’d bench 2/3 of the squad after this start next time out.

no fire in the ranks....couple of crap calls/non-calls (cleat to the chest....no harm no foul right lol) and they fold.

Kante’s decision making that lead to the 3rd was simply atrocious. You don’t see that kind of thing from him very often.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
'Chorley are on the map': win over weakened Derby makes FA Cup history

Never before in the 138-year history of Chorley had they reached round three of the cup. Now, the club sitting 125th on the league pyramid will go one step further at least, the first team from this level to reach the fourth round since Havant & Waterlooville in 2008.

With the (Derby) interim manager, Wayne Rooney, and his entire first-team squad already isolating at home due to a Covid-19 outbreak at the club, further positive tests leading up to kick-off meant the development coach, Pat Lyons, had to field a side without a minute of first-team experience. Those who started wore 1 to 11 on their shirts because none of them owned a first-team squad number.

Neat...

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Absolutely. MLS is a C level league at best. Our players need to be moving to Europe and play in better leagues. As long as they are playing there it doesn’t matter all that much who they are playing for also IMO.

B league its along the line of the Belgian and Dutch league MLS is generally recognized to be a Top 12 league some where between Top 10-15. There is a place for our young players 16-20 yrs in MLS to groom that talent before it gets sent off to Europes Big 5 legagues England/Spain/Germany/France/Italy to truly flourish. Also just playing in Europe doesn't magically equate to better, Europe is a big continent there are only about 7 leagues in Europe clearly better than MLS. Once you get outside of those league you have 2 or 3 good teams in a bunch of leagues that are equal to or better than the top MLS sides with the rest of the teams in those respective leagues being FAR worse than MLS. It does no good going to say Scotland's SPL for ex or some rando league like Romanian league where there are one or 2 teams running rough shod thru the league and your only real challenge is a moral victory 3-1 loss to a power house Euro team from a big league. I don't mind Mark McKenzie going to Genk and the Belgian League because its a league of equal standing to MLS there is a reason why the Philadelphi Union balked at the move to Scotland to Celtic because that is a league like I described where there is 1-2 solid teams and the rest are worst than your bottom third MLS side. Im 36 been following soccer for a while especially MLS I was in your camp maybe 10-15 yrs ago about just going to Europe but there is no magic Euro pixie dust.

I will add there are caveats to that line of thinking. As MLS gets better with more money flowing into the league within the next 5-10 yrs that line of thinking you espouse will have to change as there will be more USMNT players that stay in MLS not just for increasingly better play among better talents. Its what you are seeing with the attractive young South American talent we've seen flood MLS the last 5 yrs where they've acknowledge MLS as a pivotal stepping stone to a Big 5 Euro league. Some players in individual circumstances or even in generally accepted future logic may feel they only will choose to jump to Euro if the offer is from a Big 5 top half side with UCL play guaranteed.

Just saying things are evolving ad nuance to blanket statements right now its generally accepted that a Big 5 Euro league is the path from MLS just get to Europe is very outdated thinking or positions held by the axe to grind Pro/Rel zealots.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure he didn’t mean go play in the Romanian 3rd division lol.....for the discussion I was assumed that he was referring to the leagues we see Americans making noise in...Bundesliga/B2, EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie, etc...

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
B league its along the line of the Belgian and Dutch league MLS is generally recognized to be a Top 12 league some where between Top 10-15. There is a place for our young players 16-20 yrs in MLS to groom that talent before it gets sent off to Europes Big 5 legagues England/Spain/Germany/France/Italy to truly flourish. Also just playing in Europe doesn't magically equate to better, Europe is a big continent there are only about 7 leagues in Europe clearly better than MLS. Once you get outside of those league you have 2 or 3 good teams in a bunch of leagues that are equal to or better than the top MLS sides with the rest of the teams in those respective leagues being FAR worse than MLS. It does no good going to say Scotland's SPL for ex or some rando league like Romanian league where there are one or 2 teams running rough shod thru the league and your only real challenge is a moral victory 3-1 loss to a power house Euro team from a big league. I don't mind Mark McKenzie going to Genk and the Belgian League because its a league of equal standing to MLS there is a reason why the Philadelphi Union balked at the move to Scotland to Celtic because that is a league like I described where there is 1-2 solid teams and the rest are worst than your bottom third MLS side. Im 36 been following soccer for a while especially MLS I was in your camp maybe 10-15 yrs ago about just going to Europe but there is no magic Euro pixie dust.

I will add there are caveats to that line of thinking. As MLS gets better with more money flowing into the league within the next 5-10 yrs that line of thinking you espouse will have to change as there will be more USMNT players that stay in MLS not just for increasingly better play among better talents. Its what you are seeing with the attractive young South American talent we've seen flood MLS the last 5 yrs where they've acknowledge MLS as a pivotal stepping stone to a Big 5 Euro league. Some players in individual circumstances or even in generally accepted future logic may feel they only will choose to jump to Euro if the offer is from a Big 5 top half side with UCL play guaranteed.

Just saying things are evolving ad nuance to blanket statements right now its generally accepted that a Big 5 Euro league is the path from MLS just get to Europe is very outdated thinking or positions held by the axe to grind Pro/Rel zealots.

I don’t feel like writing the book it would take to respond but I disagree. IMO MLS is a 3rd tier league and as soon as our younger players are able to get to Europe, pretty much any first division or 2nd division in the big 5 countries, the better.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You want to watch the EPL top of the table clash Sunday? FU it’s on Peacock...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You want to watch the EPL top of the table clash Sunday? FU it’s on Peacock...

upload_2021-1-16_9-14-55.png

Criminal. And would've been 3 of 4 if not for the PPD match.

I recently found out I have CBS All Access via some Amazon subscription linked to the Smithsonian app (might want to check all your subscriptions out there). My wife conveniently mentioned this AFTER I missed all the CL matches last year. So I guess that's better than nothing, but not caving to NBC.

If this result holds from the morning match it's good news for ARS

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I don’t feel like writing the book it would take to respond but I disagree. IMO MLS is a 3rd tier league and as soon as our younger players are able to get to Europe, pretty much any first division or 2nd division in the big 5 countries, the better.

Ok agree to disagree then. But if you are saying Top 5 leagues in Europe now yes. The only second division in the top 5 that is acceptable is the English Championship IMO. Why? Because MLS has built enough cache amongst the Big 5 Euro that they are now aiming at MLS their has been a creation of a pipeline from MLS to Big 5 Euro leagues. No need to jump to a lower quality Euro league when if you're good enough in MLS you can move straight to a Big Euro league.

That part isn't in dispute anymore and is happening as we speak. Brian Reynolds played half a season in MLS and is about to be bought by Italian giants Juventus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad