OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
So is Frank sacked today or do they make him wait a day do it tomorrow?

I don’t think they sack him yet. Going to Leicester is a tough match under any circumstances. The have 3 home games in a row after this and I think he’ll get to manage them.

Not sure what he was thinking going without an actual defensive midfielder today though. I understand Kante is out but he had natural options instead of trying a player not really suited for it in the role. He does seem to be grasping at straws a little bit.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Ok agree to disagree then. But if you are saying Top 5 leagues in Europe now yes. The only second division in the top 5 that is acceptable is the English Championship IMO. Why? Because MLS has built enough cache amongst the Big 5 Euro that they are now aiming at MLS their has been a creation of a pipeline from MLS to Big 5 Euro leagues. No need to jump to a lower quality Euro league when if you're good enough in MLS you can move straight to a Big Euro league.

That part isn't in dispute anymore and is happening as we speak. Brian Reynolds played half a season in MLS and is about to be bought by Italian giants Juventus.

I think we may be arguing 2 different things. I have no issue with young players developing in MLS and Reynolds is a reasonable example.

But IMO after the general 21-22 age range for the most part they need to be moving to Europe. And yes playing a season in Scotland, Denmark, Austria or other 3rd tier leagues or big 5 2nd divisions is preferable to staying in MLS because it both puts them in the shop window for 2nd and 1st tier leagues but also begins the transition of moving to a different culture, a change that can’t be underestimated, as a very talented player such as Landon Donovan can attest to.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I think we may be arguing 2 different things. I have no issue with young players developing in MLS and Reynolds is a reasonable example.

But IMO after the general 21-22 age range for the most part they need to be moving to Europe. And yes playing a season in Scotland, Denmark, Austria or other 3rd tier leagues or big 5 2nd divisions is preferable to staying in MLS because it both puts them in the shop window for 2nd and 1st tier leagues but also begins the transition of moving to a different culture, a change that can’t be underestimated, as a very talented player such as Landon Donovan can attest to.

I see what you're saying I agreed with that point when MLS was a lesser quality league but now its detrimental to development to toil in lower quality second tier leagues just to get seen. They'll be seen in MLS if good enough. The only second division that stands out as beneficial is the Championship, its very similar to MLS and it also comes with a much easier Anglophile culture. I agree on the other stuff. Will be interesting to see Jordan Morris at 25 make his move to Swansea City that is in a Promotion spot to the Premier League.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Looks very grim for Frank...

Only reason he gets to keep his job for few months is if they want Julian Nagelsmann and that's not possible mid-season.

I think the only way for him to keep his job right now is to win the title or the Champions league, neither of which isn't happening.

Frank was a good player but this came waaaaaaaay to early for him. Promoting him to that rule was stupid to begin with and the future will tell how much they are going to pay for it. They spent a lot of money for several guys who might not have a role there in the future. But then again sell them for loss and few years later you might end up watching those guys bang up goals against you like Salah and De Bruyne are already.

Chelsea just screams to me like a club that's being managed by bunch of people who have no idea how soccer team should be ran.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Lampard has some time to turn things around and in no way do I think he needs to win something this season to keep his job. He absolutely needs to finish in the top 4 though.

And yes him getting the job to begin with, club legend or not, after just one season at Derby was a very odd decision IMO.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Propably if it's any other club but Abramovich only really cares about trophies. If he gives you money to spend and you don't deliver him trophies he's going to replace you. Sometimes he replaces you even if you win him a trophy.

Either way it's a moot point because if they keep Frank they won't finish top-4.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just saw this in the NHL thread

upload_2021-1-23_11-57-34.png

I wonder what that means for EPL. Maybe nothing significant as USA is part of NBC's streaming division.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
On that topic

NBCUniversal revealed a critical number about Peacock that shows why media companies are walking slowly into streaming

upload_2021-1-23_12-31-32.png

So Peacock is lagging vs regular cable revenue in dollars per subscriber and they're not even going to break even until 2024 per projections MAYBE. And they may offer it as a free cable add-on to keep you from jumping off the more profitable cable.

Not sure they thought this one all the way through. Seems like they took a risk and it's not paying off. Hopefully they move to the free premium option sooner rather than later.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Premier League blindsided by NBCSN's announcement to shut channel, says source - World Soccer Talk — World Soccer Talk

NBCUniversal’s Peacock TV is a distinct possibility too. However, the source revealed that Premier League executives have recently become dissatisfied with the number of games featured exclusively on Peacock TV this season. The Premier League wants greater distribution and reach for its games, and broadcasting high-profile games via Peacock TV doesn’t help in the short-term.

Reactions: Ajax1995 and g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So Goon, take your messaging campaign to the Premier League so they can put the screws to NBC.

They’re hurting US viewership of the EPL big time.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So Goon, take your messaging campaign to the Premier League so they can put the screws to NBC.

They’re hurting US viewership of the EPL big time.

Premier League - Contact Us

You have to select "Broadcast" at the top from the topic categories.

upload_2021-1-24_9-28-14.png

edit: EPL submit button didn't work so I sent this directly to Arsenal via email. Whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Very surprised Tuchel took so little term. For Chelski he’s worn out his welcome about 2 years into his last 2 jobs so the term is perfect for them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Very surprised Tuchel took so little term. For Chelski he’s worn out his welcome about 2 years into his last 2 jobs so the term is perfect for them.

yep, dude seems very abrasive....trashed Leonardo (PSG) in the press.

The lads in Blue are in for a kickstart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad