OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Congrats Arteta....liked him as a player.

About time. Freddie was begging to be relieved. He and Pep had a hearty chat after the 3-0 loss to Man City, funny if he was asking Pep to let Arteta stay at Emirates.

Arsenal have Everton early. Will probably be an evaluation day for Arteta even though he just saw them up close. We'll see who wakes up for the Gunners.

Chambers is brutal and should be concerned for his job today.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You won’t find me cheering for Chelski often but against the Spuds/Mourinho axis of evil it’s a no brainer. Gotta love Lampard’s tactical change up. Keep it up Blues...

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
And Son misses the next 3 games for Spuds. This just get better and better.

I wonder who Mourinho is going to blame this result on, the ref, his players, VAR, all of them? Certainly he won’t admit to being out managed...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

Don't feel bad for him at all. Amazing talent but 10 lbs of wet noodles between his ears. Always trying to get away with something sketchy.

I feel bad only in that 80% of the time the ref sees that and gives him a yellow and that is the end of it. Once it goes to VAR all bets are off and the red comes into play, which yes technically it probably is but a ref rarely gives on his own IMO.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Arsenal with a decent effort for a change. Structure, shape, and tactics look better already. Or maybe Chelsea haven't really tested them yet. It does look like they've got better energy and more drive to attack the ball than before.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Mustafi should not see the pitch for Arsenal ever again.

Because the other options are so impressive...?

They are working much harder as a team but they are unbelievably fragile psychologically, are incredibly tactically naive, and have no idea who they are as a team. As soon as Leno gave the goal away there was a 100% chance Chelski was going to get a second and win the game.

They don’t need a complete teardown and rebuild but they need the next best thing. Wait for the summer and get on with it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Arsenal need to reconstruct and subtract some big names and then replace them with some guys who will fill the void that’s been growing for a few years (IMO).....

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Because the other options are so impressive...?

They are working much harder as a team but they are unbelievably fragile psychologically, are incredibly tactically naive, and have no idea who they are as a team. As soon as Leno gave the goal away there was a 100% chance Chelski was going to get a second and win the game.

They don’t need a complete teardown and rebuild but they need the next best thing. Wait for the summer and get on with it.

Anyone is better than Mustafi. I think they even moved Saka back to LWB or similar for this game. Maitland-Niles has also dropped back. They have options. If they must play Mustafi due to injury or suspension (Sokratis is hurt and possibly Chambers, who should be gone next year too) then he should be on the outside, not in the center. His defense is terrible and he simply backs up to allow the ball to penetrate the middle.

For 80 minutes it looked like they finally "got it". Then the usual collapse happened.

Ozil will be given a full chance to redeem himself because of a relationship with Arteta but he should not be exempt from consequences. Lacazette imo is a poisonous influence on team mentality and should be shipped out. Ceballos being out and Xhaka's self-destruction have further crippled the midfield. Willock and Torreira are mediocre but see a lot of the field.

Pepe must be used to his strengths or sent along. I could imagine him in Laca's place, or permanently on the wing with Auba alone out front.

I think they should consider moving Guendouzi to defense, at least temporarily, along with fellow mop-top Luiz. I know that removes another midfielder but they do have youth and speed there to promote for the balance of the season, then review in the summer when they should acquire another strong CB, ditch some disgruntled players (Laca, Xhaka, maybe Ozil, etc) and look to only acquire high-motor players who are ready to buy-in fully to Arteta.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wolves!

aaand washed out by VAR. The rules need to be changed. As the commentator noted earlier today there is no way to measure with similar precision when exactly the ball is in contact with the striker's foot. The tech is outpacing the rule.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Mustafi should not see the pitch for Arsenal ever again.

Their entire backline is atrocious. Their best defender is an old David Luiz and Mustafi, Kolasnic, and Sokratis are all sub-standard. Bellerin and Holding are hurt. In the midfield Xhaka is supposed to be the anchor and he's as good as gone. Elneny was so bad they shipped him to Besiktas. Ceballos hasn't been the answer and Torreira is limited. They just don't have any margin for error through the midfield or on defense and it's hard for them to get the ball into the attacking third which is the strength of their team. Arteta has his work cut out for him and they need to do a lot of work over the next 6-12 months in the transfer windows.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
VAR is atrocious. It's insane how badly they're implementing the system, almost as if they're trolling on purpose.

Yeah when you watch other leagues you almost never see the unbelievable BS millimeter guesses for offsides and unintentional barely able to be seen handballs. The EPL application of VAR has me watching that league less and less when there are other decent options.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Arteta has his work cut out for him and they need to do a lot of work over the next 6-12 months in the transfer windows.

This is all very dependent on Kroenke and his willingness to spend IMO. Since taking over he has been very budget conscious and not in any way willing to spend his own money to advance the fortunes of the team. The Pepe deal only happened because Lille was ok with spreading the fee over 4 years.

If that continues then getting this club back to where they can compete for a top 4 spot let alone bigger things is going to take a heck of a lot more than a couple transfer windows unless Arteta is such a good coach that he can raise the game a decent amount for about 75% of the team and I don’t see that happening.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yeah when you watch other leagues you almost never see the unbelievable BS millimeter guesses for offsides and unintentional barely able to be seen handballs. The EPL application of VAR has me watching that league less and less when there are other decent options.

Clear and obvious. It should be a clear and obvious advantage gained on offsides. This millimeter offside by a fingernail or armpit hair is just ridiculous and is ruining the sport.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Clear and obvious. It should be a clear and obvious advantage gained on offsides. This millimeter offside by a fingernail or armpit hair is just ridiculous and is ruining the sport.

I 100% agree but my understanding is the VAR threshold for offsides and a handball leading to a goal are not clear and obvious but at all. Every other thing VAR is used for has clear and obvious as the criteria. I have no idea why those two things are different or why other leagues don’t seem to have the same issues with the application. But yes for everything VAR is used for it should be clear and obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad