OT: Discusión del Fútbol (EPL, FIFA, LIGA, USMNT, USWNT, MLS, etc) - Parte Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I saw midfielders forced back because of circumstances on occasion not a tactical reorganization. There were still 3 forwards playing high up the field unless covering for another player or after long periods of French possession forced the wingers back. Regardless how they might at any moment be aligned, defending with 7 players for the most part is not locking it down, which 2-0 up after 80 minutes is what they should have been doing IMO.

I’m not talking about someone covering for Dunn when she goes forward. Of course they should be doing that. I’m saying whoever is predominately on the left of midfield can be instructed to play more conservatively and always be looking to get to her aid. If this is a point of tactical emphasis the rest of the midfield can adjust accordingly and the right winger can drop into midfield when that is happening to help keep their shape. Also Rapinoe could do a lot more tracking back. These things would all take pressure off of Dunn to defend so much, which she obviously struggles with against quality opposition. England’s right side is very strong and defending the way they did against France is flirting with disaster IMO.

Also, as in other games there were often huge gaps between the defense, midfield, and forwards, which in no way lends itself to compact quality defending as a unit.

Still, what's their goal diff? How many goals have they given up?

As a team they're doing better than I thought defensively. But Dunn is clearly struggling, which was my point. England will likely target her, too.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Just turned the match on with 28 minutes gone in the half ready to comment on how sloppy they still are with the ball and they score on a pretty pass and header. Go figure.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dunn and Lavelle with excellent bounceback games. O'Hara was a monster and of course great save on the penalty (shady call) by Naeher.

US seemed to sit back after the first 15 minutes before getting aggressive again later in the 2nd half. IMO they need to attack the ball to be their best.

Not surprised if Rapinoe is hurt, she looked like she was slowing down as the games went on despite all the goals. But I really like Press so subbing her in along with Horan (who has great footie IQ) was fine with me. Guessing Rapinoe will be back for Sunday's game, not sure who you sit.

I expect Sweden to handle Netherlands tomorrow and they have a good chance of upsetting the US. I did not like the way we played them the first time and they are sneaky dangerous. But if Rapinoe plays we're good.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

He's being a sore loser as usual. I like Messi but this is a bad side of him. I get the sense when he's playing for Argentina he's a bit irritated that the rest of his team isn't doing more, but he doesn't always deliver, either.

Don't know how a team with Messi and Aguero have such trouble scoring.

Also don't think the game was as one-sided as he portrays. Argentina had the ball a lot and tried to shoot plenty, but they couldn't get the ball through most of the time. Brazil locked them down and then turned quickly upfield. Brazil was clearly the better TEAM to me, in addition to having more talent.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Been a Rapinoe fan for a long time. Would rock that jersey. She's a badass.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
US vs Jamaica tonight. Not sure if I'll watch or record. Need a convincing win.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I had a sneaking feeling about the Netherlands. Watch them go Cinderella on the US.

USA Jamaica 930 looks like....

There's always the sense that an underdog can pull it off but imo Sweden had a much harder path and just blew it. Not saying Netherlands is a bad team, they're not. My impression is just that the US matches up better with them than Sweden in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad