Discouraged Pens Faithful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Superb post by Trepanated. At risk of being redundant, the thing that disappoints me most about this site recently is that there used to be many posters that I really enjoyed reading. They were insightful, thoughtful, and interesting.

Now, I refer to the site to get news, so I don't have to cull through twitter, other sites, etc., to get information.

Other than that, the site is simply boring; there are no more than four or five regular posters I even bother to read. The rest is just white noise.

Do you not see the irony in your posts? You complain about folks repeating the same thing over and over again, yet your last dozen posts have been saying the exact same thing every time. "This site is unreadable now".

This is what I don't get about folks like you, who keep lamenting how awful this site is now. How about just concentrate on discussing hockey and ignore the stuff you don't like? There is hockey discussion here. But instead, you add to the "OT crap" by spending every post discussing the complainers rather than actually doing what you criticize others for not doing: discussing the hockey.

Or the alternative is just not to come here anymore. If you truly find it unreadable, why even bother posting about how unreadable it is? That's not exactly improving the situation at all. I know that if I start to find a forum unreadable, I do what I figure is just common sense. I stop visiting that forum. :help:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Do you not see the irony in your posts? You complain about folks repeating the same thing over and over again, yet your last dozen posts have been saying the exact same thing every time. "This site is unreadable now".

This is what I don't get about folks like you, who keep lamenting how awful this site is now. How about just concentrate on discussing hockey and ignore the stuff you don't like? There is hockey discussion here. But instead, you add to the "OT crap" by spending every post discussing the complainers rather than actually doing what you criticize others for not doing: discussing the hockey.

Or the alternative is just not to come here anymore. If you truly find it unreadable, why even bother posting about how unreadable it is? That's not exactly improving the situation at all. I know that if I start to find a forum unreadable, I do what I figure is just common sense. I stop visiting that forum. :help:

This is always the response. There's a difference between mentioning the complaining in a thread that is directed towards it than people complaining about the same things over and over every GDT/PGT..etc.

That'd be like him going in every thread , everyday...pointing out the negative people. I haven't seen that. He's mentioning it in thread where it's relevant. Sure see thousands of Gladams posts though.

Obviously if one is apart of the negativity, they are not going to understand.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is always the response. There's a difference between mentioning the complaining in a thread that is directed towards it than people complaining about the same things over and over every GDT/PGT..etc.

That'd be like him going in every thread , everyday...pointing out the negative people. I haven't seen that. He's mentioning it in thread where it's relevant. Sure see thousands of Gladams posts though.

My point is, how is constantly complaining about how unreadable the forum is actually solving anything? Seriously, did him posting that exact same thing a few times in this thread change the forum?

If folks want to improve the quality of the discussion on this forum, why not take the lead and do just that? Discuss topics they want to discuss. Ignore posts that they find repetitive. That kind of thing.

But complaining about complainers hardly changes the "quality" of this forum. If anything, it makes it even more unreadable because now we've got posts dedicated to arguing about post quality rather than hockey.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Oh, and yes he does, actually. Here's his latest posts if you look at his post history.

Dallas/Pens GDT:
Here
Here
And here

Same general complaints within a GDT. So no, those "complaining about complainers" posts aren't confined to just threads like this one. They do, in fact, take up space in threads that are supposed to be about the games.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Superb post by Trepanated. At risk of being redundant, the thing that disappoints me most about this site recently is that there used to be many posters that I really enjoyed reading. They were insightful, thoughtful, and interesting.

Now, I refer to the site to get news, so I don't have to cull through twitter, other sites, etc., to get information.

Other than that, the site is simply boring; there are no more than four or five regular posters I even bother to read. The rest is just white noise.

We get it. You don't like the board anymore. I've read that post from you 5 times in the last week and you don't post anything else. You are adding to the problem, not helping to solve it. Either post something useful or leave if it frustrates you that much. It's really pretty simple.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Generally speaking, I think there's a lot more negativity than the on-ice product warrants, but that's a consequence of the sweep last year.

Like you said, everybody's worried about the playoffs. We all understand that the regular season isn't going to dispel doubts about Byslma/Fleury/our performance against dedicated defensive teams in the playoffs no matter how they fare before April 16th. Unfortunately, that's taking a lot of the fun of the journey away.

I just enjoy watching hockey played at a high level, faults and all. Fair criticism is one thing, but it seems a bit masochistic to fixate on and be consumed by problems for 82 games a year plus playoffs and only find joy in NHL hockey for the split second when Bettman hands Crosby the Cup. That's the ultimate goal, but there's something to be said for relishing the smaller victories along the way too. It's okay to feel good about the Pens handing a big bad WC team their *****, even if it's only the regular season.

But to each his own. Not really my business how somebody wants to watch the game.

Now this I agree with for sure. That's why I don't use HFBoards while watching the games. I'll come on here the day after the game to see what people thought and provide my own thoughts. During the games it's just overly dramatic banter about every little mistake, line combo, etc.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Umm. The only time I've seen him post in the past 2 weeks has been complaining about how unreadable the board is. You are right that in this thread, that is relevant, but if all you contribute here is whining about negativity, how do you expect things to get any better?

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Perhaps you guys should create a forum of your own where you only talk about the positives? Pittsburgh Penguins Fan Country Club has a nice ring to it. I mean do you all really expect everyone to agree with you? What's the point of that? If you don't like the posters that sees things that should be fixed like Glass getting time with Sid you can ignore users...or you can counterpoint their opinions...you know the purpose of a forum.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Now this I agree with for sure. That's why I don't use HFBoards while watching the games. I'll come on here the day after the game to see what people thought and provide my own thoughts. During the games it's just overly dramatic banter about every little mistake, line combo, etc.

and awesome gifs. don't forget the awesome gifs

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Umm. The only time I've seen him post in the past 2 weeks has been complaining about how unreadable the board is. You are right that in this thread, that is relevant, but if all you contribute here is whining about negativity, how do you expect things to get any better?

To be fair, TANNER GLASS SHOULD NEVER BE ON CROSBY'S WING

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Generally speaking, I think there's a lot more negativity than the on-ice product warrants, but that's a consequence of the sweep last year.

Like you said, everybody's worried about the playoffs. We all understand that the regular season isn't going to dispel doubts about Byslma/Fleury/our performance against dedicated defensive teams in the playoffs no matter how they fare before April 16th. Unfortunately, that's taking a lot of the fun of the journey away.

I just enjoy watching hockey played at a high level, faults and all. Fair criticism is one thing, but it seems a bit masochistic to fixate on and be consumed by problems for 82 games a year plus playoffs and only find joy in NHL hockey for the split second when Bettman hands Crosby the Cup. That's the ultimate goal, but there's something to be said for relishing the smaller victories along the way too. It's okay to feel good about the Pens handing a big bad WC team their *****, even if it's only the regular season.

But to each his own. Not really my business how somebody wants to watch the game.

Other than the weirdness with Letang and a mod wrecking his car, I thought this was pretty positive.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

But one of them EARNED IT.

Now, I'm not sure if Crosby earned it by being bad or Glass earned it by being good, possibly both, but it was earned. Ask Dan.

I do try to be more positive at times, I'm not very good at it. Now I've been made self conscious. I hope everyone's happy.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

That was fine. Two games ago he got rewarded for 3 shifs for being the only guy who gave a crap three games ago.

And last game, he was there to set the tone against a big, physical team right out of the gate (as was Bort), which he did and it put the Kings on their heels. He was only there for 3 minutes out of 14. It's not like Bylsma married the two in the basement of the Staples Center.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
That was fine. Two games ago he got rewarded for 3 shifs for being the only guy who gave a crap three games ago.

And last game, he was there to set the tone against a big, physical team right out of the gate (as was Bort), which he did and it put the Kings on their heels. He was only there for 3 minutes out of 14. It's not like Bylsma married the two in the basement of the Staples Center.

His reward is being a ****** player who is currently on the 3rd line, makes over a million a season, and is all but guaranteed a full time spot in the playoffs.

That Bylsma feels the only way to reward Glass for throwing some hits is by wasting 3 or 4 of Crosby's shifts speaks to his total inability to properly reward and punish players.

There is literally nothing that should earn Glass a shift on Crosby's line. Nothing.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

You seem surprised that people's opinions/posts have changed into being more and more negative after 5+ years of PO embarrassments and management doing nothing to fix it.

Maybe if there wasn't so much to be negative about this team people wouldn't be so negative?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

I'm sure that has noting to do with seeing the same issues with this team game after day and everything to do with the people posting here.

If you have an issue with people *****ing about Orpik/DB/MAF/Gladams/whatever then explain why you think they're wrong. Don't just ***** at them for *****ing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
His reward is being a ****** player who is currently on the 3rd line, makes over a million a season, and is all but guaranteed a full time spot in the playoffs.

That Bylsma feels the only way to reward Glass for throwing some hits is by wasting 3 or 4 of Crosby's shifts speaks to his total inability to properly reward and punish players.

There is literally nothing that should earn Glass a shift on Crosby's line. Nothing.

Nothing should earn Glass a shift on Crosby's line, but, by the same token, 11 forwards never should put in an effort like they did in the Florida game. Nothing should, but something did, in other words.

And with the LA game, Bylsma's not the first coach to put a no-hands mutant on a star center's line to start a game against a physical team. No less than Scotty Bowman used to do that frequently, both in Pittsburgh and Detroit.

I mean, if people think Glass skating three shifts with Crosby is offensive, I can't imagine what would have been said whenever Bowman or Johnson decided Jay Caufield was Mario's new siamese twin for half a period.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This thread has run its course and is now being steered down the same path as every other thread. Bylsma is a **** up. Gladams blows, yadda yadda.

Nothing good is going to come from leaving this open, unfortunately. Even though the OP is fundamentally correct in almost everything he said. I'm not going to let this thread turn into a complain-fest. Ironically I was the one who suggested we re-open it and give the positive vibe a chance. Guess I was naive to think that idea had a prayer in hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad