Dion Phaneuf Trade To Ottawa

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
We care about cap hit. our owners are not cheap. Melnyk is horrible.

Exactly! You care about cap hit, we care about actual salary. Dion's contract had a high cap hit but lower salary. That's why this trade is a firm win-win. Both teams won the trade. Ottawa gets what they want, Toronto gets what they want! Why is this so hard to understand?

Such a big trade between two rivals would never happen unless it was a win-win type trade.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So with Ottawa management asking Dion to waive his no trade and exposing him in the draft ....what are they really saying to him and their fans..1. Dion 's contract is so bad no way LV will take him ..cant give him away or 2. maybe LV will take him and we rid ourselves of a bad contract ....has to be one or the other ...which one Sens fans?

Did you even read the thread? The OP even says it right there "Anyway, just spitballin."

On what planet did you hear that Ottawa management asked Dion to waive his no-trade? Now I understand why Phaneuf and Kessel wanted out so bad. People just make up **** out of their imagination and take it as fact. I just came here for the TFC thread, and I'm now regretting it.

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Did you even read the thread? The OP even says it right there "Anyway, just spitballin."

On what planet did you hear that Ottawa management asked Dion to waive his no-trade? Now I understand why Phaneuf and Kessel wanted out so bad. People just make up **** out of their imagination and take it as fact. I just came here for the TFC thread, and I'm now regretting it.

Elisha Cuthbert told me.....

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Exactly! You care about cap hit, we care about actual salary. Dion's contract had a high cap hit but lower salary. That's why this trade is a firm win-win. Both teams won the trade. Ottawa gets what they want, Toronto gets what they want! Why is this so hard to understand?

Such a big trade between two rivals would never happen unless it was a win-win type trade.

Google cap friendly and look at his contract ...cap hit this year $7m and actual salary $7.5m....Get your facts straight......TSN radio 1200 Voice of the Senators ...ex Sen ..White on from 10am to 2pm has talked all week about how Dion would be doing the organization a big favour by waiving his no trade and management will likely spreak to him closer to the event happening...they can then keep EK, Methot and Cecci .....White opinion is that LV would not take on that contract.....Dion and Ryan are your two highest paid players ....both immovable contracts ...ouch!

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Win for the team but a loss for me and the Jersey of his I own.

Edit: does waiving his no trade for the expansion mean it's permanently gone or just for that period?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Google cap friendly and look at his contract ...cap hit this year $7m and actual salary $7.5m....Get your facts straight......TSN radio 1200 Voice of the Senators ...ex Sen ..White on from 10am to 2pm has talked all week about how Dion would be doing the organization a big favour by waiving his no trade and management will likely spreak to him closer to the event happening...they can then keep EK, Methot and Cecci .....White opinion is that LV would not take on that contract.....Dion and Ryan are your two highest paid players ....both immovable contracts ...ouch!

Phaneuf's base salary this year is $6.5 mil. It's $7.5 mil including signing bonus, but Ottawa doesn't pay that (though it does count against the salary cap).

Next year his base salary is $6 mil. For the following two years it's $5.5 mil. For the last year it's $3.5 mil. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously when anybody tries to argue that Phaneuf is worth anywhere near what he's getting paid. On a team with an internal budget cap, no less.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Phaneuf's base salary this year is $6.5 mil. It's $7.5 mil including signing bonus, but Ottawa doesn't pay that (though it does count against the salary cap).

Next year his base salary is $6 mil. For the following two years it's $5.5 mil. For the last year it's $3.5 mil. I'm having a hard time taking it seriously when anybody tries to argue that Phaneuf is worth anywhere near what he's getting paid. On a team with an internal budget cap, no less.

The Leafs did an awesome job getting rid of that contract. Nothing against Phaneuf the player or person.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leafs have done great at moving "unmovable" contracts. Sure we take back some short term money, but it's the roster space for the kids that's important in a rebuild. Money will be off the books when it's time to pay some young guns.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
It's amazing how bad Nonis was as GM, and the mess that had to be cleaned up

The mess was originally created by Burke, Nonis mistake was believing he could turn that mess into something winning.

He often repeated that he had seen them do it before and that he believed they could do it again. He was referring to how we in the shortened season made the playoffs and was kicked out in the first round. That to him was a sign of a good team in the making. So glad Shanahan came in and took over and brought the right people in who could then ship out the wrong people. Dion being one of those.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The mess was originally created by Burke, Nonis mistake was believing he could turn that mess into something winning.

He often repeated that he had seen them do it before and that he believed they could do it again. He was referring to how we in the shortened season made the playoffs and was kicked out in the first round. That to him was a sign of a good team in the making. So glad Shanahan came in and took over and brought the right people in who could then ship out the wrong people. Dion being one of those.

that team did have good potential.

It had two major weaknesses that needed upgrading:

1. coaching
2. topline skill (kessel the only legit 1st liner)

But Nonis read the team comoletely wrong, and instead decided the team's weaknesses were:

1.goaltending (traded for bernier)
2.grit (replaced grabo/mac with clarkson/bolland)

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
that team did have good potential.

It had two major weaknesses that needed upgrading:

1. coaching
2. topline skill (kessel the only legit 1st liner)

But Nonis read the team comoletely wrong, and instead decided the team's weaknesses were:

1.goaltending (traded for bernier)
2.grit (replaced grabo/mac with clarkson/bolland)

I'm pretty sure counting on Phaneuf to be your #1 defenseman was also a major weakness. But you did spend countless posts explaining how Phaneuf was actually one of the league's elite defensemen during his tenure here. :help: You also thought the trade to bring Phaneuf here was pure, unadultered genius. But here we are, having dealt him for a collection of unwanted scraps on a very similar contract to the one Calgary got themselves out of for a very similar collection of unwanted scraps.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Actually reading articles and watching The Leaf youtube series, Nonis actually wanted to rebuild. Shanahan admitted that when he came here at first he thought the team was fixable because he believed in Franson's ability and thought Clarkson could be an impact guy. So he encouraged the signing of Clarkson and wanted to extend Franson at first. But he realized around December 2014 (The evaluation year) that the team was going no where and he went with Nonis' plan to rebuild. Shanny just didn't believe that Nonis was the right guy to lead the team into a rebuild and wanted his own staff.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

1. It was the net impact of the trade they were talking about. They are talking about Phaneufs cap hit less Greenings & Michalek. That was the subject being discussed.

2. So a guy on the radio said this, NOT Senators management then.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
1. It was the net impact of the trade they were talking about. They are talking about Phaneufs cap hit less Greenings & Michalek.

If only we had known that Phaneuf can not only play defense, but can fill two forward spots at the same time!!!

:laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Actually reading articles and watching The Leaf youtube series, Nonis actually wanted to rebuild. Shanahan admitted that when he came here at first he thought the team was fixable because he believed in Franson's ability and thought Clarkson could be an impact guy. So he encouraged the signing of Clarkson and wanted to extend Franson at first. But he realized around December 2014 (The evaluation year) that the team was going no where and he went with Nonis' plan to rebuild. Shanny just didn't believe that Nonis was the right guy to lead the team into a rebuild and wanted his own staff.

what? Shanahan wasn't even here when Clarkson got signed. So how on earth would Shanahan push for Clarkson being signed when he was still at the League office?

Signing Franson wouldn't have bothered me, signing Franson at the monies he wanted/years he wanted would have. and having Franny here would help out powerplay at the point solidify the 4th (for a while). I mean i'm not shedding tears about that - and we got Leipsic and.... Dermott/Bracco/Dzkerials out of it so either way works for me.

Nonis did not want to rebuild. the moves he made did not symbolize a rebuild what so ever. Everything he said and did was full on "we can re-capture what we did in 2013." that was his play, not a rebuild of any sort. Even in one on one interviews, he said "Our goal is to make the playoffs, we know we can make the playoffs." one of his first interviews (actually, maybe the only one, Nonis kinda went ninja-dust) -that phrase "i believe we could have made the playoffs," was stated. If Nonis at any point even considered/wanted to make any sort of rebuild change - he wouldn't have treated 2nd round picks like Party Favours.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Yeah I don't know what articles you are reading and videos you are watching. This rebuild is what Shanahan sold the board on when he was hired. Clarkson was already here when Shanny arrived. Nothing Nonis said or did resembled a rebuild.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Yeah I don't know what articles you are reading and videos you are watching. This rebuild is what Shanahan sold the board on when he was hired. Clarkson was already here when Shanny arrived. Nothing Nonis said or did resembled a rebuild.

Maybe he's thinking of JFJ? As bad as he was, at least he had the right idea of what to do with the sad sack team except he was vetoed by the suits upstairs. Burke and Nonis were infinitely worse because they actually seemed to believe in the line of horse plop they fed to the fans who were incapable of critical thinking.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012

disagree- burke had his issues(his ego, impatience, mouth), but he really didnt do much harm to the franchise. nonis has and stilll is doing harm to the leafs.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
disagree- burke had his issues(his ego, impatience, mouth), but he really didnt do much harm to the franchise. nonis has and stilll is doing harm to the leafs.

Just some images to freshen up your memory.

Burke was an awful GM.

NHLDraftCentral-Header.jpg

2011_NHLDraftBoard_AB772864711.jpg

nhl-standings-ap-6.jpg

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
In retrospect, this was a complete win-win-win trade for everyone involved, including Phaneuf.

Leafs turned a new page and shed salary, Ottawa got a very, very good top 4, arguably top 2-3 defender who is a perfect mentor and compliment for Ceci, and Phaneuf got out of a terrible situation, for which he was completely mis-cast, both as a No. 1 defender, and as Captain of a fish-bowl.

I think I am happiest for Phaneuf the most. Never disliked the guy and he did everything we asked him to do. If he had a lower cap-hit and was a RD, he would be exactly what we need and are missing. Unfortunately, the expectations were to high coming in, and the quality of our Team was too low for Phaneuf to really fill the role that was needed.

I think it worked out all around, and I really don't think anyone fleeced anyone on this. It was a traded both teams needed and are still happy with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad