Casey Bailey
Ryan Rupert
Cody Donaghey

To Toronto: Milan Michalek
Colin Greening
Jared Cowen
Tobias Lindberg
2nd round pick in 2017
No salary was retained by either team for over the trades entirety.
Phaneuf salary will be 7mil per until 20/21 season.

Who is winning this trade so far?

IMO the leafs won hands down for a few reasons
-they traded 5 contracts and received 4
-they saved on total salaries paid out
-they have Lindberg and a second pick (possibly)
-Michalek, Greening and Cowen salary come off the books at the end of the season.
Ottawa fans will point out that none of the players received are on the current roster but I'd rather have it that way then an overpaid 4/5 defenceman.

What do you think?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
On February 9, 2016 the trade went as follows:

To Ottawa: Dion Phaneuf
Matt Frattin
Casey Bailey
Ryan Rupert
Cody Donaghey

To Toronto: Milan Michalek
Colin Greening
Jared Cowen
Tobias Lindberg
2nd round pick in 2017
No salary was retained by either team for the over the trades entirety.
Phaneuf salary will be 7mil until 20/21 season.

Who is winning this trade so far?

IMO the leafs won hands down for a few reasons
-they traded 5 contracts and received 4
-they saved on total salaries paid out
-they have Lindberg and a second pick (possibly)
-Michalek, Greening and Cowen salary come off the books at the end of the season.
Ottawa fans will point out that none of the players received are on the current roster but I'd rather have it that way then an overpaid 4/5 defenceman.

What do you think?

massive home run by the Leafs.
This trade will just look better and better as time goes on.
Well done!

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
His salary is actually less, 4.5 mil I think? Cap hit of 7 mil. For a non cap team it's not as bad but even at 4.5 mil it's a massive over payment.

Obviously Tor won the deal hands down. Ott was really desperate to make the playoffs last year and made a bad trade and it backfired big time.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's pretty cool to think of all the good things that have happened under the new management. It's kind of sad also that a number of these good things are ditching players as opposed to acquiring players but there it is. Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson ...

Our defence is weak and we could certainly use a player like Dion. At that cap hit and term though, yeah I don't know about Ottawa but a great trade for the Leafs!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dion was a salary dump when the Leafs acquired him for spare parts, and he was a salary dump of similar magnitude when Leafs traded him away again.

That makes it a wash !!!!

Nothing ventured and nothing gained and Leafs could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and heartbreak by avoiding this situation from the start.

Moral of the story is that Cap Space in a Cap World is a valuable commodity and Leafs learned their lesson the hard way.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dion was a salary dump when the Leafs acquired him for spare parts, and he was a salary dump of similar magnitude when Leafs traded him away again.

Nothing ventured and nothing gained and Leafs could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and heartbreak by avoiding this situation from the start.

Moral of the story is that Cap Space in a Cap World is a valuable commodity and Leafs learned their lesson the hard way.

A bit harsh IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His salary is actually less, 4.5 mil I think? Cap hit of 7 mil. For a non cap team it's not as bad but even at 4.5 mil it's a massive over payment.

Obviously Tor won the deal hands down. Ott was really desperate to make the playoffs last year and made a bad trade and it backfired big time.

7.5, 7.0, 6.5, 6.5, 5.5

Leafs unloaded Phaneuf, which is good for Toronto.

If Sens are happy with Phaneuf that's good for Ottawa.

There is hope for 21 year old Lindberg and the 2nd.

Ottawa probably feels the same way about 20 year old Donaghey.

I wouldn't want a doover.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lindberg and the 2nd was really nice. We needed to dump every long-term salary we had.

Mad Brills*

I still like the trade, but him over hunwick/polak would be a nice upgrade for this team.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Happy we didn't have to retain. Perhaps the futures will pan out to some degree.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
The Cowen contract may end up providing us more value, and Greening/Michalek may still get us something if we retain/bring them back up to the NHL (I would definitely consider it)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Cowen contract may end up providing us more value, and Greening/Michalek may still get us something if we retain/bring them back up to the NHL (I would definitely consider it)

How can Cowan provide value now? He's on his end of contract year and they don't need the space regardless of what happens.

He has negative value.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A bit harsh IMO.

Leafs acquired Phaneuf with a 6 year $39 mil ($6.5 AAV) contract and dealt him with a 7 year $49 mil ($7.0 AAV) deal.

Both coming and going He was among the highest paid Dmen in the NHL completely overpaid, and Leafs motivation to rid themselves of that bloated contract was no different then Flames finding someone to eat that contract and taking whatever they needed to unload it.

Leaf Nation seems very happy and appreciative that Leafs management were able to dump that contact and recover the lost cap space.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Leafs acquired Phaneuf with a 6 year $39 mil ($6.5 AAV) contract and dealt him with a 7 year $49 mil ($7.0 AAV) deal.

Both coming and going He was among the highest paid Dmen in the NHL completely overpaid, and Leafs motivation to rid themselves of that bloated contract was no different then Flames finding someone to eat that contract and taking whatever they needed to unload it.

Leaf Nation seems very happy and appreciative that Leafs management were able to dump that contact and recover the lost cap space.

Disagree. IMO Dion was regarded a fair bit higher when he arrived in Toronto then when he left. He played pretty well for us for a time as well.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

No he wasn't. He declined badly later on but we easily won the flames trade as well. There were stretches where he was a legit top pair guy.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No he wasn't. He declined badly later on but we easily won the flames trade as well. There were stretches where he was a legit top pair guy.

That's the way I remember it as well. Maybe he was overpaid somewhat but when I hear the term salary dump, I think of someone you'd like to get rid of even if it means giving him away without getting anything in return or worse, having to add something of value in order for another team to take the player on.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

he was never a legit 1st pair guy for us , he's been living off his first few seasons in the league for years

and some of our fans are only now admitting how overrated/overpaid he is since he's no longer a Leaf

Last edited:

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I think this worked out well for both teams. It's obvious for Toronto but in Ottawa's case it's likely more about money. They rid themselves of 3 contracts that weren't returning anything of value to them. In Phaneuf they get a serviceable defenseman who is obviously overpaid but is at least playing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Easily. Had he been obtained by someone other than Burke he would have been perceived differently by many.

I think this worked out well for both teams. It's obvious for Toronto but in Ottawa's case it's likely more about money. They rid themselves of 3 contracts that weren't returning anything of value to them. In Phaneuf they get a serviceable defenseman who is obviously overpaid but is at least playing.

Yep, Leafs won the math side of it, Sens the asset side.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Both teams are probably happy with it. I wouldn't be surprised if Phaneuf ends being the most impactful player in the end. All that matters though is that he isn't on the Leafs' roster during these next few years.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

It did indeed. Sens perspective is completely different from the Leafs as they count real dollars. Looking at it from the start of this season moving forward:

To Ottawa
Phaneuf
5 years with 33 million remaining

To Toronto
Michalek: 4 (who might have played for them but wouldn't have brought much value to a team)
Greening: 3.2 (who was buried in the AHL)
Cowen: 4.5 (who was never going to play for them again)
Total: 11.70

Phaneuf is costing Ottawa 21.30 million for 5 years (33 - 11.70) or 4.26 per year. Veteran D who make a little over 4 per year are hardly stars. Ottawa also isn't a hot spot for attracting players.

The trade made sense for both teams then just like it makes sense for both teams now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad