Dion Phaneuf Trade To Ottawa

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Ya except after this year, when Greening and Michalek expire and your stuck with Phaneuf for another what 5 years at 7 mil per? Sounds like average 2nd pairing salary to me.

This has already been beaten to death in the rest of the thread. He doesn't make $7m per. His actual salary is lower.

($35m for Phaneuf - $11.9m Michalek/Greening/Cowen) / 5 years = ~$4.62m per year

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Leaf fans disliked Alfie for a couple of his actions on the ice ..Tucker hit...I don't think any Leaf fan ever questioned Alfies skill or his contribution to his team success...Ottawa fans pegged Dion as an over paid pylon....there's a difference.

I despised Alfredsson not for the hit on Tucker, but his actions and words after the game. He was genuinely shocked that people were of the opinion that it should have been a penalty.

Then there's the stick swinging incident with Sundin. At Mats' induction into the Hall of Fame, he kind of made reference to that.

And for those who already disliked Alfredsson, the time he shot the puck at Niedermayer didn't sit well either.

At no point could anyone look at Alfredsson and argue that he wasn't a top end player. It'd be utterly absurd to do so.

Dion was mocked for reasons that are completely beyond me. He was nothing short of a class act in Toronto and even after the TSN moment on trade deadline day with that jack-ass on Twitter, Dion didn't attack the throngs of mentally deranged Leafs fans that wanted his head on a spike.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Except that if you look at the total value of the remaining years on the contracts they moved and the total value left on Phaneuf's contract you find that Ottawa did the opposite of what a budget team wants.

Michalek $4 million + $1.3 million for the partial season

Cowen $1.5 mil buyout + $1 million for the partial season

Greening $3.2 million + $900 000 for the partial season

$11.9 million total

Phaneuf $35 million total

So Ottawa saved about $1.2 million for the partial season and about the same for the next full season, but is then down by about $20 million that could have been spent on a good player. And having that all tied up in one player can't be spun as being somehow more efficient. It's just terrible for the Sens.

Except Ottawa was trying to make the playoffs last year. They're also trying to be competitive this year.

Despite some dramatic posters opinions, Dion is still a 2nd pairing quality Dman who has helped them. Sens fans almost universally are happy with his performance.

From Ottawa's perspective they're only paying Dion in real dollars less than 5 million a season (see my earlier posts). Subtracting Greening, Cowen and Michalek would have been spread over the life of the Phaneuf contract (this is a simple budgeting concept).

The only real piece of value Ottawa gave up was a 2nd round pick that's projected to be middle of the round and in a weak draft. It doesn't hold much value. If Dion was on a good contract not a chance they would have only had to give up a 2nd round pick. Dion should be viewed fairly similar to as if the Sens added him as a UFA.

In the last two off-seasons:

-Jason Demers 5 years @ 4.5
-Alex Goligoski 5 years @ 5.475
-Paul Martin 4 years @ 4.85
-Andrej Sekera 6 years @ 5.5

Hardly a star studded group. Ottawa also isn't a hotbed for UFAs.

This was a good trade for the Sens. But that doesn't make it a bad trade for Toronto. Actually it was a win-win for both teams.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Who the hell cares about actual salary?

Average annual value is what impacts the cap.

I guess the theory is Ottawa have an internal cap so actual dollars matter to them, so the extra cap money that they don't have to pay is of no issue to them since they shouldn't be close to the cap anyway

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
im happy with the trade, look on our boards we have a methot vs phaneuf poll now. He was a missing piece in Ottawa. We now have 3 dmen we can throw out on the ice at all times and feel comfortable.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
im happy with the trade, look on our boards we have a methot vs phaneuf poll now. He was a missing piece in Ottawa. We now have 3 dmen we can throw out on the ice at all times and feel comfortable.

i think this trade helps both sides to be honest .the leafs needed to move on from dion and shed salary vs ottawa who badly needed to upgrade their blueline.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Leafs easily won this deal.

We got rid of an anchor contract without taking another one back.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Except Ottawa was trying to make the playoffs last year. They're also trying to be competitive this year.

So this is a good trade so long as we pretend those are good decisions?

Despite some dramatic posters opinions, Dion is still a 2nd pairing quality Dman who has helped them. Sens fans almost universally are happy with his performance.

Phaneuf is barely a 2nd pairing defenseman right now. With a couple years left on his contract you can expect him to struggle with 3rd pairing duties, the guy can barely pivot already.

He has been on a drastic downward trend since his 3rd season in the league, which coincided with Calgary management recognizing that they'd just giving a star-sized contract to a mediocre-at-best player and bailed on him. Don't try to tell someone who suffered through years of Phaneuf anything about the guy's play.

][quoteFrom Ottawa's perspective they're only paying Dion in real dollars less than 5 million a season (see my earlier posts).[/quote]

They're actually paying him just over $5 mil/year. My numbers in the previous post were high because I included signing bonuses, but Ottawa is still on the hook for well over double the salary they dumped.

Subtracting Greening, Cowen and Michalek would have been spread over the life of the Phaneuf contract (this is a simple budgeting concept).

It's really not such a 'simple budgeting concept' i guess, because Phaneuf doesn't replace those three roster spots. You still have to pay someone to play at Greening and Michalek's positions. And you also have to assume Phaneuf can competently play a position in the lineup that's worth over $5mil/year. He already isn't worth that.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
This has already been beaten to death in the rest of the thread. He doesn't make $7m per. His actual salary is lower.

($35m for Phaneuf - $11.9m Michalek/Greening/Cowen) / 5 years = ~$4.62m per year

We care about cap hit. our owners are not cheap. Melnyk is horrible.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Leafs easily won this deal.

We got rid of an anchor contract without taking another one back.

It is possible for both teams to benefit in a trade you know. That said, I'd be doing cartwheels if i was a Leafs fan. Phaneuf's contract sucks.

Maple Leaf Forever

Sep 9, 2013
Maybe you should read the Sens threads:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2154469

Most posters are advocating exposing Bobby Ryan instead of Phaneuf.

Phaneuf has been great for us. A stable veteran presence on the second line that we were so sorely lacking. Reading this thread as a Sens fan is hilarious. This trade was a slam dunk for the Sens. We got the best player out of the deal, and like others in this thread have already said, we dumped a ton of literal non-NHL useless salary. Sure we got alot of salary back, but when you add it all up, we're paying Phaneuf average 2nd pairing dollars, which is perfect for us. This trade is definition of a win-win.

So with Ottawa management asking Dion to waive his no trade and exposing him in the draft ....what are they really saying to him and their fans..1. Dion 's contract is so bad no way LV will take him ..cant give him away or 2. maybe LV will take him and we rid ourselves of a bad contract ....has to be one or the other ...which one Sens fans?

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
So with Ottawa management asking Dion to waive his no trade and exposing him in the draft ....what are they really saying to him and their fans..1. Dion 's contract is so bad no way LV will take him ..cant give him away or 2. maybe LV will take him and we rid ourselves of a bad contract ....has to be one or the other ...which one Sens fans?

Is there an actual source for this or just some made up crap. I can't see Ottawa tipping there hat this early to begin with.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I don't understand why Leaf fans are dumping on Phaneuf, he's gone. If Ottawa fans are happy with him, great. Nothing wrong with a win win trade. The Leafs got rid of a contract and player they no longer wanted, Ottawa sees him as a legit 2nd pairing D. Why can't we just be happy we were able to pass him onto a team that wanted him? For all his weaknesses, Dion's only real failing, Imo, was the lack of leadership during the 'salute gate' issue a few years back. Otherwise, he played to his abilities and treated the team, fans and media with respect. That he was overpaid, heck ya, and if I could negotiate that type of contract for myself, I'd do it to, blame management on that, not the player. Good luck, Dion, I won't miss ya, but I won't dump on you either.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ottawa is quite happy having phaneuf as their #2, and they're doing pretty well.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Who the hell cares about actual salary?

Average annual value is what impacts the cap.

Answer - ALL teams on a self imposed budget. They watch the bottom line because (wait for it), THEY HAVE TO and have no choice. The Senators (like many other teams across the league in the same situation) spend under the cap limit routinely (about 6 million under this year). This shouldn't be such a difficult concept to grasp.

Phaneuf and Ceci are a pretty good 2nd pairing and Ottawa seems to be doing pretty well in the standing SO FAR this year.

The better question here is: Why do we care about them? What is with the obsession?

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa is garbage defensively in general.

Last year. They are 8th best this year in goals against average.

Ottawa could also have bought out Michalek and Grenning saving a another 2 plus mil .

Then the owner would be paying money for 2 players not playing at all.

Alternatively, the owner decided to trade them to us for a 2nd pairing defender roster player that plays regularly. Sure he's overpaid, but the move makes sense ultimately.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Alternatively, the owner decided to trade them to us for a 2nd pairing defender roster player that plays regularly. Sure he's overpaid, but the move makes sense ultimately.

the point was how much is he costing the Sens when you factor in the salaries we had to take

it doesn't make much sense at all since the only thing keeping them in a playoff spot at the moment is a hot goalie and the team isn't on the brink of accomplishing anything with or without Phaneuf

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Last year. They are 8th best this year in goals against average.

the point was how much is he costing the Sens when you factor in the salaries we had to take

it doesn't make much sense at all since the only thing keeping them in a playoff spot at the moment is a hot goalie and the team isn't on the brink of accomplishing anything with or without Phaneuf

Those are your "opinions" and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Boucher has them playing a defensively sound and stingy system, so not sure its all on Anderson. I.E., Condon has a .969, 1.00 and 1.00 save percentage in three games

Also, the deal made sense to them "financially", and it addressed a weakness at their blueline. Also, more importantly, why do we care?

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Those are your "opinions" and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Boucher has them playing a defensively sound and stingy system, so not sure its all on Anderson. I.E., Condon has a .969, 1.00 and 1.00 save percentage in three games

Also, the deal made sense to them "financially", and it addressed a weakness at their blueline. Also, more importantly, why do we care?

we're all entitled to our opinions but picking up a grossly overpaid mediocre player on a long term deal while shedding very short term deals that were easily bought out doesn't make sense regardless how people try to spin it , not to mention how much worse he'll be going forward

outside of being thrilled he's off my team i don't care , just killing time

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He is playing top pair minutes on a current top-10 team - a team that's top-10 based largely on their defensive success.

They ditched a bunch of expensive nothing to get him. They are quite hapoy with the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad