Dion Phaneuf Trade To Ottawa

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Sens got the best player by far but time will tell whether Phaneuf will be viewed by Sens as a help or a hindrance in years to come.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
I was reading on TSN earlier today there's speculation that Ottawa wants to keep Method and would let Phaneuf get claimed by Las Vegas if they could convince him to waive his NMC.

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
Worked out for both sides. Sens shorted some money that they needed right now and got a decent player out of it. Leafs got out of a contract that would've hampered them in the "go for the cup" years. None of the other assets involved are likely to amount to much of anything, so that's a wash.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Phaneuf is costing Ottawa 21.30 million for 5 years (33 - 11.70) or 4.26 per year. Veteran D who make a little over 4 per year are hardly stars. Ottawa also isn't a hot spot for attracting players.

The trade made sense for both teams then just like it makes sense for both teams now.

Bingo. The Sens and Leafs are working under completely different constraints (budget vs cap) and therefore the cost of having Phaneuf was different to the two teams. People who say that Toronto won handily don't understand that Phaneuf's cap hit is utterly irrelevant to Ottawa. It's definitely a good deal for the Leafs. That doesn't make it a bad deal for Ottawa.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was reading on TSN earlier today there's speculation that Ottawa wants to keep Method and would let Phaneuf get claimed by Las Vegas if they could convince him to waive his NMC.

Was on TSN That's Hockey yesterday, but it was more of a pipe dream as Ottawa is forced to keep the contract and the odds of Phaneuf waiving his MNC is slim to none.

The Sens would prefer instead to keep Karlson's partner Marc Methot but now forced to expose him due to being stuck with Phaneuf.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He wasn't really the same player after the lockout season. He always needed to be a big point producer to live up to his expectations but he hasn't been able to do that in the past couple of years.

Defensively he never was amazing. He was a good leader and the player that he thought he was until he signed his new contract. I don't think he became unmotivated but I just think the game passed him like many others players in his age range. I think going forward he should be remembered as the player he was during the Burke era and the start of the Nonis era. After that he changed.

In terms of the actual trade, I agree its a wash.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Worked out for both sides. Sens shorted some money that they needed right now and got a decent player out of it. Leafs got out of a contract that would've hampered them in the "go for the cup" years. None of the other assets involved are likely to amount to much of anything, so that's a wash.

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
It's pretty cool to think of all the good things that have happened under the new management. It's kind of sad also that a number of these good things are ditching players as opposed to acquiring players but there it is. Phaneuf, Kessel, Clarkson ...

Our defence is weak and we could certainly use a player like Dion. At that cap hit and term though, yeah I don't know about Ottawa but a great trade for the Leafs!

This is a very balanced outlook on the whole state of affairs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That's the way I remember it as well. Maybe he was overpaid somewhat but when I hear the term salary dump, I think of someone you'd like to get rid of even if it means giving him away without getting anything in return or worse, having to add something of value in order for another team to take the player on.

Remember when Leafs demanded prospect Keith Aulie be included in the original deal or Leafs management said they wouldn't have made the deal without him to take Phaneuf?.

Leafs would have preferred nothing when dealing Phaneuf away as a scorched earth contract dump but now have millions upon millions of dead cap space playing in the AHL instead with Michalek, Greening, & buyout Cowan forced to take back in the deal.

Is Michalek, Greening and Cowan much different then pending UFA Hagman, Stajan and Ian White in the original deal?.

Basically it was Keith Aulie then for Tobias Lindberg now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Stripping away Phaneuf's fame as a Leaf captain and the early career hype, I have a hard time even slotting him properly. Is he a top pairing guy, is he a top four guy? Don't even know what he really is.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Leafs would have preferred nothing when dealing Phaneuf away as a scorched earth contract dump but now have millions upon millions of dead cap space playing in the AHL instead with Michalek, Greening, & buyout Cowan forced to take back in the deal.

Extending him was another terrible decision by Nonis.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The most valuable asset in the deal remains the 7 million long term in capspace flexibility the Leafs recieved.

Sens get a serviceable #3/4 guy too. The can't be overly disappointed ether.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Was on TSN That's Hockey yesterday, but it was more of a pipe dream as Ottawa is forced to keep the contract and the odds of Phaneuf waiving his MNC is slim to none.

The Sens would prefer instead to keep Karlson's partner Marc Methot but now forced to expose him due to being stuck with Phaneuf.
Due to his wife, I could see him considering waiving for Vegas. Outside of Anaheim and LA it is the closest market to Hollywood.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Due to his wife, I could see him considering waiving for Vegas. Outside of Anaheim and LA it is the closest market to Hollywood.

But is Hollywood really Hollywood anymore with the studios moving out to find tax breaks in other states. And does she really have much of a Hollywood career left? Seen her in that new Netflix show with the guys from the 70´s show. It´s ok but far from Hollywood.

And Phaneuf was very much a cap dump when he came to us, as well when he left us. He managed to build up a reputation in the 2-3 years after the big lockout that he sailed on but failed to live up ever since. And it made him a rich man so kudos to him.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
It did indeed. Sens perspective is completely different from the Leafs as they count real dollars. Looking at it from the start of this season moving forward:

To Ottawa
Phaneuf
5 years with 33 million remaining

To Toronto
Michalek: 4 (who might have played for them but wouldn't have brought much value to a team)
Greening: 3.2 (who was buried in the AHL)
Cowen: 4.5 (who was never going to play for them again)
Total: 11.70

Phaneuf is costing Ottawa 21.30 million for 5 years (33 - 11.70) or 4.26 per year. Veteran D who make a little over 4 per year are hardly stars. Ottawa also isn't a hot spot for attracting players.

The trade made sense for both teams then just like it makes sense for both teams now.

I'm with you pal. It's actually very similar to the Horton/Clarkson deal, the reasons for it anyway. Nice,:handclap:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Regardless of what the team is actually paying Phaneuf he is number 4 with a cap hit of 7 million per till 2021. He has a NMC which means now that the Sens will likely be forced to protect him in the expansion draft. Phaneuf will not waive his NMC to go to an expansion team. Secondly they will likely lose a defenceman they dearly want to keep. Not to mention Lindbergh and the second.

The only thing the leafs gave up was paying contracts for players who would likely never add anything to the team for one year.

Regardless of which way Sens fans try to spin it this was not a good hockey move but it saved the owner real dollars. Making moves based on economic circumstance is rarely a good idea unless you are forced by a cap.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It did indeed. Sens perspective is completely different from the Leafs as they count real dollars. Looking at it from the start of this season moving forward:

To Ottawa
Phaneuf
5 years with 33 million remaining

To Toronto
Michalek: 4 (who might have played for them but wouldn't have brought much value to a team)
Greening: 3.2 (who was buried in the AHL)
Cowen: 4.5 (who was never going to play for them again)
Total: 11.70

Good post. Both teams did well for what they were trying to achieve.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Sens got the best player in the deal, but the Leafs saved 7 million dollars, so it depends on what the Leafs do with the money that will determine who won the deal.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think this worked out well for both teams. It's obvious for Toronto but in Ottawa's case it's likely more about money. They rid themselves of 3 contracts that weren't returning anything of value to them. In Phaneuf they get a serviceable defenseman who is obviously overpaid but is at least playing.

Phaneuf's contract is ugly, but there is some truth and merit to this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad