Dion Phaneuf - "There is a Trade Market for Him" (Dreger)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
Phaneuf is great.

The hate he gets is ridiculous, comical, and slightly embarrassing

I don't mind him defensively, but calling him great is a stretch. He is definitely slower this year than I ever remember him being. However, he does take way more abuse than he deserves.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
with his shot, it'd be nice if he could hit the net................

Myth.

Phaneuf hits the net just as much as most D-men, if not more than most. It's one of those things people say so much that everybody just accepts it as true instead of taking a look at the actual numbers.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Myth.

Phaneuf hits the net just as much as most D-men, if not more than most. It's one of those things people say so much that everybody just accepts it as true instead of taking a look at the actual numbers.
you must be watching a different Dion then I am, guess my point will be proven in a couple of hours when Dion continues to shoot and miss as per usual.............

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
you must be watching a different Dion then I am, guess my point will be proven in a couple of hours when Dion continues to shoot and miss as per usual.............

You sure you're not watching NHL classics?

From what I've seen he's alot more selective with his shooting. Back in Calgary he had a sweet spot and would constantly try and pick corners. He hasn't played that game for years now.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I love it when his teammates are in front of the net and he whistles a slapper past their ears.

VaughanBender72

The Pain Is Coming
Aug 4, 2014
Toronto
Phaneuf is not a bad player. I just think he is very overrated and should not be payed 7 million. I genuinely believe Franson would be considered the best defencemen on the team. If he didn't give away the puck so much and have the "C" on his jersey.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I think he's done that maybe 3 times this year. People just see it, and gravitate towards it.
Well that's because you have to be a bag of hammers to do something like that. It shouldn't happen once. I don't mind Phaneuf but when you do things like that it tends to really piss teammates off

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I don't need to watch as there are stats for these things that show how things really are, not how I perceive them to be.

Dion doesn't miss the net more than other D-men who takes a lot of shots. It's a fact.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

it's not a different Dion, but a different set of eyes watching.

it just so happens that even though your eyes apparently see a guy who misses the net a lot, in fact we have unarguably stats which show clearly that he actually misses less than most similar-scoring defensemen.

it's your eyes that are the problem here.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
it's not a different Dion, but a different set of eyes watching.

it just so happens that even though your eyes apparently see a guy who misses the net a lot, in fact we have unarguably stats which show clearly that he actually misses less than most similar-scoring defensemen.

it's your eyes that are the problem here.

I'm at the point where I won't listen to rhetoric about a player unless they are at least plausibly proven with some stats.

NHL.com needs to track their stats better, hire advanced stats guys to show CF%, among all the other stats. We are in the infancy of not completely relying on the "eye test" (also known as the subjective biased opinion test) and traditional scoring.

Right now Dion is obviously doing the best job of all Defensemen on the team. Followed by Franson. It's not what this forum would lead you to believe tho.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did they say the Leafs are now 6-1-1 since a Players only meeting? I wonder if Phanuef said anything or if some real Leaders stepped up?

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Did they say the Leafs are now 6-1-1 since a Players only meeting? I wonder if Phanuef said anything or if some real Leaders stepped up?

I've never seen such irrational hatred for a leaf captain in all my life of observing this team. Putting a patch on someone's sweater doesn't mean you're the only voice in the room allowed to talk. It's a democracy, not a dictatorship. He's the team's captain for the duration of his tenure here. Just accept it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I've never seen such irrational hatred for a leaf captain in all my life of observing this team. Putting a patch on someone's sweater doesn't mean you're the only voice in the room allowed to talk. It's a democracy, not a dictatorship. He's the team's captain for the duration of his tenure here. Just accept it.

Totally irrational. Search out some other Phanuef threads and you'll see comments from some that make my joke look completely rational.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Totally irrational. Search out some other Phanuef threads and you'll see comments from some that make my joke look completely rational.

I don't need to. I just take a look at the reaction from him dressing up for a simple halloween party and I know all I need to know about this fanbase. I know the franchise hasn't done alot to instill confidence over the years, but you'd think there would be some form of pride and respect for your captain. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Love the "he misses the net all time" comments.

Always tops in the league for shooting% among D-Men.

Also, 7 million is really not all that bad. Stop comparing it to contracts that were signed when the cap was in the low 50s and compare it to contracts signed now as the cap approaches 70 and shows no sign of slowing down.

I'll take Dion at 7 over Subban at 9.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
I don't need to. I just take a look at the reaction from him dressing up for a simple halloween party and I know all I need to know about this fanbase. I know the franchise hasn't done alot to instill confidence over the years, but you'd think there would be some form of pride and respect for your captain. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

Big +1

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Dion Phaneuf through 16 games:

8 points (T-28th among D)
+9 (T-4th among D)
23:14 TOI/G (28th among D)
53 hits (3rd among D)
35 blocked shots (T-11th among D)

Yet everytime I come on HFboards, or scroll through twitter, all I see is hate.

Larry Murphy 2.0 in terms of undeserved hate.

Take your blinders off and realize he is a top 20 dman in the league and anytime would be happy to have him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

+9 (T-4th among D)
53 hits (3rd among D)

Take your blinders off and realize he is a top 20 dman in the league and anytime would be happy to have him.

You shouldn't be surprised, it's hardly a Mensa meeting.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: What happened at Halloween?

TheThrill81*

+9 (T-4th among D)
53 hits (3rd among D)

Adding to those stats....

2 pts separate Dion from the top 12, 3 pts from the top 8. At this point in the season, a lot of players are tied with each other so naturally it will spread out as the season goes on

Phaneuf is tied for the 4th in PIM among d-men, which would explain his lower TOI/G and his 462 shifts (33rd among d-men). Further illustrated by the fact that d-men who are amongst the top in TOI/G are mainly the same ones who are amongst the lowest in PIM

Top 20 dman? Fair point. Top 15? I would say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad