Confirmed with Link: Dion Phaneuf Suspended Two Games

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
i think 2 games is reasonable. the player he hit wasnt injured which should be a mitigating factor as well as phaneuf hasnt been suspended before. imo the neal kneeing on marchand was a lot more vicious. if neal got 5 games for that i cant see phaneuf getting more. i suspected 2-3 games.

lol, carlyle is going to want "truculence" and put in fraser but i really hope he doesnt go anywhere near the ice. we have enough problems with our defense without putting fraser on the ice.

id like to see,

gardiner-franson
rielly-gunnarson
liles-ranger

fraser-popcorn

maybe he needs a little less popcorn. Guy's looked really, really slow this year.

Mr Scarface*

I have to agree with so many posters here at the hfboards. Jason Gardiner is such a talented guy. He really does exceptional things with the puck and is exceptional. A rarity in today's game. Like seeing him play and we need players like him even though he is pretty soft. All of them don't have to be hard, some can be cuddly bears and rainbows.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
I have to agree with so many posters here at the hfboards. Jason Gardiner is such a talented guy. He really does exceptional things with the puck and is exceptional. A rarity in today's game. Like seeing him play and we need players like him even though he is pretty soft. All of them don't have to be hard, some can be cuddly bears and rainbows.

that's interesting, but what's your opinion on Michael Reilly?

Mr Scarface*

that's interesting, but what's your opinion on Michael Reilly?
Reilly does not have the same nerve and calmness Gardiner possessess. Gardiner is more NHL'er ready with that ready to roll action pack stack. He just moves the game and wants to be the man with the arm chair. He is a certain type of leader because he wants to have the puck all the time. That is very rare in today's nhl. Especially for a young D-guy. (By D-guy I don't mean a drugy type of guy, but a defence guy by all means).
Gardiner is the way to go and we should have him hard.
Reilly might be better at some point, but needs time to develope his stacks. He has some gravy, but not that mayonnase still.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
LOL... David Phaneuf, Cameron Franson and Jean Michel Liles will be upset you didn't ask about what he thought about them...

sopranos loves them all because Jean Michael is a fairy and Cameron and David are both hard. That's the answer. They also have gravy. :nod:

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
Because the Jake we see now is the same Jake we saw last regular season... people can get hot but people typically don't just turn on a switch and overnight go from a 5th defender to a 1st defender especially against St Lou and LA... those teams are kinda REALLY good...

You bring up valid points. Boston wasn't exactly a bad team in the playoffs, and a switch did seem to go off in Gardiner's head, he was a completely different player from the one that was a healthy scratch for MIKE KOSTKA haha.

Hopefully without Dion, he will be a bit more comfortable to play like himself and try to do a little bit more.

ShortSideFlick

Nov 2, 2011
This is ridiculous. That's a suspension but Seidenberg repeatedly head shots guys without any repercussions? This year alone Seidenberg has headshot Fiddler, Ryan, and D'amigo. All of them blatant as all hell. There's probably more I'm missing...

I don't understand how the league allows constant head shots from Seidenberg, and doesn't suspend Lucic's hit on Miller, but Kadri get's 3 for his and Phaneuf gets 2 for this. It's an absolute joke, the only thing consistent is Boston getting away with everything.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Dennis Seidenberg got Jerry D’Amigo with a hit to the head in the corner in the third period. Seidenberg may have been trying for the shoulder, but he got him high and was given a minor penalty for an illegal check to the head.

If it's the hit I'm thinking of which I'm sure it is the hit was to his shoulder but D'Amigo hit his head awkwardly in the boards. I wish I could find video of it.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
This is ridiculous. That's a suspension but Seidenberg repeatedly head shots guys without any repercussions? This year alone Seidenberg has headshot Fiddler, Ryan, and D'amigo. All of them blatant as all hell. There's probably more I'm missing...

I don't understand how the league allows constant head shots from Seidenberg, and doesn't suspend Lucic's hit on Miller, but Kadri get's 3 for his and Phaneuf gets 2 for this. It's an absolute joke, the only thing consistent is Boston getting away with everything.

Oh the conspiracy theorist.

MrLegend28*

Phaneuf was signing autographs at Target by my place. wish i knew I would of went

MajorityRules*

We've already seen what this team is made of from game 1. This isn't our year.

Considering this team hasn't played with a full healthy lineup, I'd say we have yet to see what they are really made of.

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I see it as interference, but it's questionable. I see Phaneuf 's as a boarding call though, maybe a 5 minute major, not a 2 game suspension.

Miller isn't supposed to miss tonight's game, so he will have missed a shift at most. There are a ton of examples of hits from behind that don't carry a suspension, I'd just like to see a little consistency with the league on these hits.
I agree 100%

however I'm not convinced he didn't touch the puck.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The league certainly do not always get these suspensions right and many bad hits are missed, but IMO they handed out a fair suspension in this case.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Considering this team hasn't played with a full healthy lineup, I'd say we have yet to see what they are really made of.

Agreed, but I fear they may not get a chance to play with a full healthy line-up before it is too late.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Vancouver rioted.

Oh the conspiracy theorist.

Don't worry if Chara did the same thing he would be suspended...opps. I mean lucic'**** on Miller would get a suspension,,opps. I mean Campbells son is on Boston..opps. Go away NHL schill we aren't blind and Leaf nation is waking up, just wait cause Vancouver sure did. How about Leaf fans boycott the playoffs if we miss? You like that?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Forget which players and which teams might have gotten away with it. With the rules on hits from behind laid out as they are it's a suspendable hit. I'm assuming you've watched the video on Shanahan's analysis so which point do you disagree with exactly?

At which point of the video did he explain why 2 games versus just a fine?

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I see us rolling seven defensemen the next two games because of this:

- hard to replace all of Phaneuf's minutes with one guy (everyone's minutes goes up, taking them out of a comfort zone where they're already not very comfortable)
- hard to replace all of Phaneuf's skills with one guy. Fraser will pick up PK and defensive zone faceoffs, Rielly will be on one of the PP units and play neutral/offensive zone faceoffs.
- back-to-back nights makes increasing everyone's minutes even harder.

Edit: Gardiner will play big minutes as well though

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Don't worry if Chara did the same thing he would be suspended...opps. I mean lucic'**** on Miller would get a suspension,,opps. I mean Campbells son is on Boston..opps. Go away NHL schill we aren't blind and Leaf nation is waking up, just wait cause Vancouver sure did. How about Leaf fans boycott the playoffs if we miss? You like that?

Would never, ever, happen. For every disgruntled Leafs fan there's 2 or 3 that will step up and pony up their cash to MLSE, and thus, the NHL.

If the Leafs revenue sharing cheques were to start dropping with any significance, we might see the NHL sit up and take notice. Until then, the NHL doesn't have to treat the Leafs like any of the other struggling NHL franchises. Yeah, sure, Crosby is in Pittsburgh on the up and up! Swamp land in Florida anyone?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes