Confirmed with Link: Dion Phaneuf Suspended Two Games

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm a B's fan as well and the Seids hit was shoulder to shoulder and the end result was D'Amigo's face hitting the boards. Was a clean hit with a rough looking result. From what I remember of the replay anyway.

Dennis Seidenberg got Jerry D’Amigo with a hit to the head in the corner in the third period. Seidenberg may have been trying for the shoulder, but he got him high and was given a minor penalty for an illegal check to the head.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I'm not going to get into how corrupt this stupid league is when it comes to the Bruins. Bull ****!

This is a blessing in disguise, Jake Gardiner will play on the top pairing, and be an absolute animal and carry the Leafs on his back for the next two games, and surface as an elite playmaking defenceman. The hockey gods are watching, and will bless us!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure how anybody could question this being a suspendable hit. It's not even like he turned suddenly before impact. Shanahan's analysis is dead on.

I agree, it wasn't the worst hit, but it isn't one that the league should take lightly. Dion was lucky to only get 2 in the end.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
I don't like it being two but that seems to be the baseline for boarding so I'm not mad about it.

I am mad that Neal made a decidedly non-hockey play and is a fourth-time repeat offender and only got five games for his goonery.

It's a ******* joke.

GrabsOverHabs

Apr 7, 2013
A penalty was called. 2 minutes for an illegal hit to the head.

Are you sure your aware of the hit in question?

D'Amigo did go to the dressing room, presumably to do a concussion baseline test.

I question it.

That's Boarding. 2 minutes, 5 minutes, game misconduct, whatever.

It shouldn't be a suspension, especially not for a player who's been in the league for 9 years without even a fine.

If that hit happened in Phoenix or Florida, no suspension is handed out. Only because of the attention focused on that hit by our useless media is this made anything more than a missed call.

Forget which players and which teams might have gotten away with it. With the rules on hits from behind laid out as they are it's a suspendable hit. I'm assuming you've watched the video on Shanahan's analysis so which point do you disagree with exactly?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not going to get into how corrupt this stupid league is when it comes to the Bruins. Bull ****!

This is a blessing in disguise, Jake Gardiner will play on the top pairing, and be an absolute animal and carry the Leafs on his back for the next two games, and surface as an elite playmaking defenceman. The hockey gods are watching, and will bless us!

Is this sarcasm?

Mr Scarface*

I predicted and knew the length of the suspension correctly, because I know hockey. Phaneuf is such a hard player who often does this type of thing in the end of every game. Especially when we are losing. He rolls over people and gets them on their toes. Scared they have been and I've seen it. This suspension was rightfully given and our team deserves these suspensions always, cause we are the hardest ****in team in the league. Others are scared, crying. In the rain. We just walk between the raindrops and bruise people up. Hard.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I believe I am. Oh, I remember now. I forgot that he was given a penalty. My mistake. For the record, that doesn't change my response at all, particularly to the people calling it a conspiracy. They're completely different hockey plays and thus evaluated as such. As I just said in another response, the desire and need for fans to try to link every hit to another is a disservice to whole process. Calling for consistency is fine, but people use their stretched and perceived linking of two plays totally irresponsibly to make points that are very loose and irrelevant, IMO.

And it just so happens that the Bruins are often on the light end of these unlinkable discrepancies.:sarcasm:

The disservice is done to the players who I am sure from one day to the next have no flippin idea what the NHL wants from them. One minute its nothing, the next its a clean hit, the third its a 2 min penalty and the fourth its a two game suspension.
If you cant see the complete lack of consistency in the NHL's rule enforcement, the jokes on you my friend.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

That's an extremely tall order, but not surprising given your avatar.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada
I predicted and knew the length of the suspension correctly, because I know hockey. Phaneuf is such a hard player who often does this type of thing in the end of every game. Especially when we are losing. He rolls over people and gets them on their toes. Scared they have been and I've seen it. This suspension was rightfully given and our team deserves these suspensions always, cause we are the hardest ****in team in the league. Others are scared, crying. In the rain. We just walk between the raindrops and bruise people up. Hard.

:laugh: Your posts are awesome.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why would it be sarcasm? We've seen Jake do it in the playoffs, and you will see it again.

Because the Jake we see now is the same Jake we saw last regular season... people can get hot but people typically don't just turn on a switch and overnight go from a 5th defender to a 1st defender especially against St Lou and LA... those teams are kinda REALLY good...

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I agree, it wasn't the worst hit, but it isn't one that the league should take lightly. Dion was lucky to only get 2 in the end.

i think 2 games is reasonable. the player he hit wasnt injured which should be a mitigating factor as well as phaneuf hasnt been suspended before. imo the neal kneeing on marchand was a lot more vicious. if neal got 5 games for that i cant see phaneuf getting more. i suspected 2-3 games.

Gards-Gunnar
Liles-Ranger
Fraser-Franson

I’m sure we’ll see some crap like that. Rielly deserves to play

lol, carlyle is going to want "truculence" and put in fraser but i really hope he doesnt go anywhere near the ice. we have enough problems with our defense without putting fraser on the ice.

id like to see,

gardiner-franson
rielly-gunnarson
liles-ranger

fraser-popcorn

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Because the Jake we see now is the same Jake we saw last regular season... people can get hot but people typically don't just turn on a switch and overnight go from a 5th defender to a 1st defender especially against St Lou and LA... those teams are kinda REALLY good...

Gardiner is playing 25 minutes a night for a reason. He's not playing as a #5 dman anymore IMO. I don't agree that he'll all of a sudden play 30 minutes and be a stud #1 dman but, aside from Phaneuf...he's been the steadiest option we've had on D....

That said. I'm a Phaneuf fan and this team is gonna be eaten up by LA and stl in the next 2 games...

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

LOL, you need a show on Sportsnet or something. Dont ever change

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
And it just so happens that the Bruins are often on the light end of these unlinkable discrepancies.:sarcasm:

The disservice is done to the players who I am sure from one day to the next have no flippin idea what the NHL wants from them. One minute its nothing, the next its a clean hit, the third its a 2 min penalty and the fourth its a two game suspension.
If you cant see the complete lack of consistency in the NHL's rule enforcement, the jokes on you my friend.

I don't buy into the inconsistent crap because, while I don't agree with every call, it's an instinctual reaction amongst a ton of fans to justify why their team is getting ****ed. It's childish bickering most of the time as incidents are compared that are barely able to be considered similar.

And, until someone is to present me a comprehensive presentation as to why the Bruins are hugely favored by the league, I don't believe that either. I consider myself a pretty unbiased fan. I call out fans on the Bruins board all the time for being totally ridiculous in their opinion solely because of who they root for. But, this whining that comes out of just certain fanbases, who happen to have rivalries with the Bruins, about how the Bruins are always let off the hook is not believable to me.

You can call me biased; I can call you biased. And you know what, I think both of those points are true. But the notion of how the Bruins are always let off the hook when there have been numerous suspensions to them over the years, just like other teams...what do you want me to accept that?

If people really want to push the point, make a PowerPoint presentation or something and show me it. :laugh: I'd love to watch it, and if there was actually a point beyond just blanket statements and insistent subjective opinion, I'd be impressed and would change my mind on the matter. Whatever pride I have for my team does not prevent me from admitting to fact when it's actually there and shown.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
as much as it sucks to lose Phaneuf ... it's gonna be nice to see a lot of Gardiner's game.

i think we should be trying:

Gardiner - Phaneuf

as our #1 pairing when Phaneuf gets back though.

they can eat up a lot of minutes and be an elite pairing that can control the play throughout the game.

the other 4 should be some mix of: Franson, Liles, Rielly, Gunner, Ranger

but i love watching games where it looks like it's Gardiner vs. the other team. where all the plays start with him and he controls the attack... and it just seems like the puck is on his stick for half the game and he's making crazy plays and skating around everyone.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013

we heard it first from the mouth of Jake Gardiner himself!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad