Confirmed with Link: Dion Phaneuf Suspended Two Games

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
A lot of people say the Leafs should let Phaneuf go after this season. It will be interesting to see how the Leafs manage without him. My guess disaster...

Phaneuf should not be let go! He needs to be traded, but only if his demands are outrageous like $8.0M for 8 years. Oh wait, didn't Nonis already give that much cash and term to Kessel? I guess Phaneuf deserves the same! :sarcasm:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't buy into the inconsistent crap because, while I don't agree with every call, it's an instinctual reaction amongst a ton of fans to justify why their team is getting ****ed. It's childish bickering most of the time as incidents are compared that are barely able to be considered similar.

And, until someone is to present me a comprehensive presentation as to why the Bruins are hugely favored by the league, I don't believe that either. I consider myself a pretty unbiased fan. I call out fans on the Bruins board all the time for being totally ridiculous in their opinion solely because of who they root for. But, this whining that comes out of just certain fanbases, who happen to have rivalries with the Bruins, about how the Bruins are always let off the hook is not believable to me.

You can call me biased; I can call you biased. And you know what, I think both of those points are true. But the notion of how the Bruins are always let off the hook when there have been numerous suspensions to them over the years, just like other teams...what do you want me to accept that?

If people really want to push the point, make a PowerPoint presentation or something and show me it. :laugh: I'd love to watch it, and if there was actually a point beyond just blanket statements and insistent subjective opinion, I'd be impressed and would change my mind on the matter. Whatever pride I have for my team does not prevent me from admitting to fact when it's actually there and shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYRjtnzjsg

1.25 mark ,,,,1.38,,,,,2.41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1basz-WWITg

0.01 mark,,,,, 1.08 mark,,,,,2.03 mark,,,2.12 mark,,,,

Took me 10 minutes to put that together and that's just a small sample one 1 player..

Do I really need to post the Patchs and Miller hits?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A lot of people say the Leafs should let Phaneuf go after this season. It will be interesting to see how the Leafs manage without him. My guess disaster...

Phaneuf is more important to Leafs success than Phil Kessel is. IMO

If the Leafs were only to keep one it should be Phaneuf.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Phaneuf should not be let go! He needs to be traded, but only if his demands are outrageous like $8.0M for 8 years. Oh wait, didn't Nonis already give that much cash and term to Kessel? I guess Phaneuf deserves the same! :sarcasm:

Somehow I doubt Phaneuf is going to ask to be the highest-paid UFA defenceman in league history.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Somehow I doubt Phaneuf is going to ask to be the highest-paid UFA defenceman in league history.

Well DS that won't be exactly accurate.

Highest cap hit ever, among all D.

But the first 8 years of the Suter/Weber deals are bringing in more pay.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Don't worry if Chara did the same thing he would be suspended...opps. I mean lucic'**** on Miller would get a suspension,,opps. I mean Campbells son is on Boston..opps. Go away NHL schill we aren't blind and Leaf nation is waking up, just wait cause Vancouver sure did. How about Leaf fans boycott the playoffs if we miss? You like that?

The good ole Campbell's son stuff. Lucic hit was legal at the time. They've since changed the rule. None of that has anything to do with Phaneuf having plenty of time to be able to hold off hitting a guy in the numbers into the boards.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Well DS that won't be exactly accurate.

Highest cap hit ever, among all D.

But the first 8 years of the Suter/Weber deals are bringing in more pay.

LOL, this again.

AAV is all that matters. It is how agents and teams negotiate and compare. You don't get to choose the first 8 years of a 13 year tapered deal, the length of which has now been outlawed by the way, and say "I deserve that under the new CBA". The whole purpose of constructing contracts is to find a suitable annual cap hit.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
If the next 2 games are hands down the best this team has played all year - it will be very interesting in the upcoming months...

I hope they do!

wulfio*

what a goon. give him 4x4 or let him walk. we don't need players like this on our team that badly.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
6 years, $42M. Thats pushing it for me, I wouldn't give him more than 7AAV. I prefer 6M but I'm not going to be fussy over 1M for a guy who, at the moment, is our go-to-guy, even though some of our guys are already overpaid as well.

Year 1 (29 y.o) - $8M
Year 2 (30 y.o) - $8M
Year 3 (31 y.o) - $8M
Year 4 (32 y.o) - $8M
Year 5 (33 y.o) - $6M
Year 6 (34 y.o) - $4M

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYRjtnzjsg

1.25 mark ,,,,1.38,,,,,2.41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1basz-WWITg

0.01 mark,,,,, 1.08 mark,,,,,2.03 mark,,,2.12 mark,,,,

Took me 10 minutes to put that together and that's just a small sample one 1 player..

Do I really need to post the Patchs and Miller hits?

Okay, so I'll give you a general response and I'll also address each clip in the video.

The first video (which, important to note, was made over 4 years ago before truly strict penalties were being given out):
1. That's a high hit. Today, he'd most likely be hit with a game or two based on the fact that he hit him up high and there was not an injury on the play.
2. I'm not sure what you're talking about there...the fact he instigated the fight? Those aren't concussive blows guy. That would never get a suspension.
3. The last one is borderline...if you watch the angle not directly behind the glass, you can see he does not hit the guy in the head on the check (not the principal point of contact), but he does finish high at the end. Winchester knows the contact is coming and tries to reverse it and his head hits the glass and comes back where Chara raises the arms up and makes contact with his head. No doubt he finishes the check a bit high, but I doubt that's suspension worthy even today.

The second video:
1. That would definitely get a suspension today. It might have back then had Grabo not come back and had a monster game. I remember it well. I was at that game :(
2. That may have gotten a suspension nowadays. Giroux puts himself off balance and in a bad position though by trying to stop up and protect Chara from getting to the puck with his back. That's a dangerous tactic and while Chara should have let up more, they were a good distance from the boards and I really don't believe that was truly malicious.
3. ...that would never get a suspension or a penalty...techincally it's from behind, but it's on the half boards where there isn't glass. Guys take advantage of being in this part of the rink all the time. No one would get a suspension for such a harmless incident.
4. It's a slight slew foot but he does not finish him in the back and it's not even close to resulting in any sort of injury. May receive a warning or a fine today, but I sort of doubt that.

In summary, you've shared 7 different instances of where you thought Chara was being dirty. In a couple, I have agreed, and I think they would get a suspension today. The fact is though, those hits were at a time when not nearly as many suspensions were being given out and you really had to put someone in peril to even get a call from Colin Campbell. If they happened nowadays, I'd have to admit it was inconsistent enforcement by the league, but not back then.

You also didn't read my response because you put together something that proves the Bruins have made borderline, illegal plays, but nothing which shows bias. You could show me 3,000 clips of where you felt the Bruins were dirty, but if you don't show other instances of suspensions being given out to other teams on plays that are significantly similar, it doesn't prove anything. You did EXACTLY what I criticize these conspiracy theorists for. No conspiracy theory has ever been proven in ten minutes of research and that's exactly my issue. It's a kneejerk, instinctual, rival fan reaction and no one that I have seen yet has actually gone all the way to show where the bias lies.

The Chara on Pacioretty hit is iffy. There isn't any proof that Chara meant to put Pacioretty into the corner of the glass like that. He rubs him out along the boards and it is late, but I really don't think that was an intentional play. Today, it might get some games, but if I remember correctly, that was when Shanahan first took over and he wasn't laying down the law like he is now.

The Lucic on Miller hit is one I have to concede. I have no clue how he got away with that. Looch isn't the most finesse of skaters, but I don't believe that was unintentional. I still don't know how he didn't get anything, but I'm not going to act like it's the first time I've been puzzled by a decision (as none of us are; you're not going to ever agree with all that anyone decides in these cases). I'm not going to put a conspiracy on something just because I don't agree or understand it though.

I will say the Bruins have made some questionable hits over the last few years. I will also say that I have seen countless others from around the league that are also questionable. Throwing some video clips at me and inferring "welp, this obviously proves they're a bias" especially when most of the clips are from when the precedent was significantly different does not prove your point. If fans are interested in actually proving a bias they should truly put some effort into it, not ten minutes.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Once again Shanahan and the powers that be are putting their disturbing Bruins bias/lack of consistency/lack of basic understanding of the rules on full display. If a Boston player had thrown that same hit against a Leaf, they would've gotten a five minute major at most. That's what Phaneuf deserved. Not suspendable IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad