Confirmed with Link: Dion Phaneuf Suspended Two Games

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
If Miller doesn't dip down and forward, we wouldn't be discussing this. If Clarkson didn't slash Miller, Dion would have hit him in the shoulder. But it is what it is, I just hope there's consistency, but I'm sure that's asking a lot from the NHL. Neal gets 5 games for taking someone's head, and Dion gets 2 for making a hockey play that goes wrong. That Neal hit is 10 times worse. I imagine that if someone like Lucic or Clarkson had did to Crosby what Neal did to Marchand, he'd probably get at least 10 games.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If Miller doesn't dip down and forward, we wouldn't be discussing this. If Clarkson didn't slash Miller, Dion would have hit him in the shoulder. But it is what it is, I just hope there's consistency, but I'm sure that's asking a lot from the NHL. Neal gets 5 games for taking someone's head, and Dion gets 2 for making a hockey play that goes wrong. That Neal hit is 10 times worse. I imagine that if someone like Lucic or Clarkson had did to Crosby what Neal did to Marchand, he'd probably get at least 10 games.

Exactly, punishment in the NHL is all about who done it, who got it, and a lot less about the infraction itself. I hate the total inconsistency!!!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Seems like a fair call to me. It will be interesting to see how the team will respond.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Seems like a fair call to me. It will be interesting to see how the team will respond.

I hope all of the players decide to show up and put in a little extra effort to avoid being embarrassed, and to avoid not being included in a trade to obtain some D. :naughty:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Does anyone know if Clarkson has ever played D during his career?

Since he sucks as a forward, maybe he could find a place on D with this team. :D

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Does anyone know if Clarkson has ever played D during his career?

Since he sucks as a forward, maybe he could find a place on D with this team. :D

I think you need to be able to skate to play defense.

Although that doesn't explain Mark Fraser.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
2 games its pretty questionable. How many games did Seidenberg get for taking D'amigo's head off?

Nothing. Same as Chara got. Same as im almost positive Thornton will get. Same as Lucic got.

Lets face it. The league has made it very clear that there is one set of rules for the Leafs (coaches, GMs, players) and one for the rest. There's nothing we can do about it.
Quite frankly what pisses me off more is the silence. From MLSE, from Nonis, from Carlyle, from the media. We are the richest team in the league, is the fine really not worth showing your fanbase that you're sick of the garbage too? Is there a single other team in the NHL that has absolutely nobody covering them that actually speaks for them anymore?

Maybe a am an incredible homer fan, but shouldn't my team's owner be too? I find it hard to believe that if somebody who actually cared about hockey owned this team, after the last series of games where the refs have absolutely ****ed this team over, there'd be some sorta something in bettman's ear, in the media, somewhere....

Does anybody even care anymore?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
yep.

even if he didn't, its interference at worst. it' a hockey hit and if you start suspending for that the game is in trouble
I see it as interference, but it's questionable. I see Phaneuf 's as a boarding call though, maybe a 5 minute major, not a 2 game suspension.

Miller isn't supposed to miss tonight's game, so he will have missed a shift at most. There are a ton of examples of hits from behind that don't carry a suspension, I'd just like to see a little consistency with the league on these hits.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Also how does Phaneuf get 2 games and Seidenberg who rammed Damigo's head not get anything? They were fairly similar plays. Just typical **** the Bruins are allowed to get away with time and time again

cue the Marchand axe swing that broke Clarkson's stick, just typical Bruins garbage they are allowed to get away with. Instead they are going to try to make an example out of them with that scrub Thornton but guys like Chara can get away with murder

Yeah, it was a missed call.

Just like Phaneuf on Miller was a missed call.

I fail to see the conspiracy.

And about the Seidenberg hit; it was definitely high and deserved a penalty which wasn't called. But "similar plays"? How? One was a player getting hit with his back completely turned to a guy, another was a guy finishing a player from the side a little too high. People's need to say "oh, it's basically the same thing" just to try to justify punishment about hits that are completely different is so frustrating.

Looney Toonies

May 30, 2012
Canada

And about the Seidenberg hit; it was definitely high and deserved a penalty which wasn't called. But "similar plays"? How? One was a player getting hit with his back completely turned to a guy, another was a guy finishing a player from the side a little too high. People's need to say "oh, it's basically the same thing" just to try to justify punishment about hits that are completely different is so frustrating.

I fail to understand this statement.
D'amigo's head was the principle point of contact and there is absolutely no doubt about it. It was a head hit and he definitely should have been suspended.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
The thing I'm wondering is why even have a two-minute penalty for boarding anymore, pretty soon every hit from behind along the boards is going to garner a suspension.

It was a hit that deserved a two minute penalty. Given that Dion has been in the league almost a decade and has never even been fined let alone suspended, this is a little too much.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I'm guessing your a Bruins fan by what another poster said.
Just curious what your thoughts are on the Seidenberg hit?

I'm a B's fan as well and the Seids hit was shoulder to shoulder and the end result was D'Amigo's face hitting the boards. Was a clean hit with a rough looking result. From what I remember of the replay anyway.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I fail to understand this statement.
D'amigo's head was the principle point of contact and there is absolutely no doubt about it. It was a head hit and he definitely should have been suspended.

The fact is there wasn't even a temporary injury to D'Amigo plays a role. As we know, injuries and results of an action play probably the biggest role in a suspension. As I've said, what Seidenberg did was breaking the rules, but it's a missed penalty call. It wasn't a blindside hit as D'Amigo and Seidenberg were both readying for contact.

It's a "borderline" hit as was Orpik's on Eriksson which some see as interference (personally, I'm still not sure whether or not Eriksson got a piece of the puck just prior), and he made contact with the head. But, it's a "borderline" hit. Along with often not getting called, they almost never receive punishment. Guys play on the edge and that's just a part of the game. It's really only when there is a completely objectionable, over the line, non-hockey play act (as in the Thornton incident) and/or when a player is injured that punishment usually happens. Borderline hits don't usually get attention. And you can disagree, but to me, that's just a part of hockey.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think you need to be able to skate to play defense.

Although that doesn't explain Mark Fraser.

I know, that's why I used this at the end of the sentence: :D

I also should have used this: :sarcasm:

GrabsOverHabs

Apr 7, 2013
Not sure how anybody could question this being a suspendable hit. It's not even like he turned suddenly before impact. Shanahan's analysis is dead on.

BayStreetBullies*

That missed call turned into a 2 game suspension. Remind us what Marchand's punishment was?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

A penalty was called. 2 minutes for an illegal hit to the head.

Are you sure your aware of the hit in question?

The fact is there wasn't even a temporary injury to D'Amigo plays a role. As we know, injuries and results of an action play probably the biggest role in a suspension. As I've said, what Seidenberg did was breaking the rules, but it's a missed penalty call. It wasn't a blindside hit as D'Amigo and Seidenberg were both readying for contact.

D'Amigo did go to the dressing room, presumably to do a concussion baseline test.

Not sure how anybody could question this being a suspendable hit. It's not even like he turned suddenly before impact. Shanahan's analysis is dead on.

I question it.

That's Boarding. 2 minutes, 5 minutes, game misconduct, whatever.

It shouldn't be a suspension, especially not for a player who's been in the league for 9 years without even a fine.

If that hit happened in Phoenix or Florida, no suspension is handed out. Only because of the attention focused on that hit by our useless media is this made anything more than a missed call.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
That missed call turned into a 2 game suspension. Remind us what Marchand's punishment was?

By Marchand, do you mean Seidenberg? It was nothing, because it was a borderline hit; I addressed that in a few entries up in the thread. I don't want to type it again, but I feel that addresses your question directly.

And, in my opinion, the Phaneuf hit was way more likely to injure than what Seidenberg did, and it was shown by Miller, at least temporarily, being hurt due to the effects of an illegal hit that wasn't called. Again, just see my response about "borderline" if you want to know my opinion on the matter.

The hits aren't the same. Yes, there is contact with the head in both, but they're not the same. People with this need to try to link two plays constantly for the sake of having a comparison isn't right. You've got to address things individually and with everything else considered. The hits aren't the same. Period. So the punishment is not the same.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
A penalty was called. 2 minutes for an illegal hit to the head.

Are you sure your aware of the hit in question?

D'Amigo did go to the dressing room, presumably to do a concussion baseline test.

I question it.

That's Boarding. 2 minutes, 5 minutes, game misconduct, whatever.

It shouldn't be a suspension, especially not for a player who's been in the league for 9 years without even a fine.

If that hit happened in Phoenix or Florida, no suspension is handed out. Only because of the attention focused on that hit by our useless media is this made anything more than a missed call.

I believe I am. Oh, I remember now. I forgot that he was given a penalty. My mistake. For the record, that doesn't change my response at all, particularly to the people calling it a conspiracy. They're completely different hockey plays and thus evaluated as such. As I just said in another response, the desire and need for fans to try to link every hit to another is a disservice to whole process. Calling for consistency is fine, but people use their stretched and perceived linking of two plays totally irresponsibly to make points that are very loose and irrelevant, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad