Dion Phaneuf ( Hypthetical)

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Does Phaneuf even have experience playing on the wing?

Yea what Stewie said, only a few shifts. But his team didn't get scored on during those shifts.

I he has a great shot, good vision, decent speed and big body to move from the front of the net.

IMO he would be a great winger, who would play a good 2way game.

He just isn't a great defenseman.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yea what Stewie said, only a few shifts. But his team didn't get scored on during those shifts.

I he has a great shot, good vision, decent speed and big body to move from the front of the net.

IMO he would be a great winger, who would play a good 2way game.

He just isn't a great defenseman.

It's not a bad theory at all, but I just think its probably too steep of a learning curve for someone like him at this point in his career.

Dion has all the tools to be a Norris dman every year, it's upstairs and the mental understanding and continually making the same mistakes over and over that prevent that from happening. If Hartley could get him just to play his game and keep things simple, he could become a stud again.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
It's not a bad theory at all, but I just think its probably too steep of a learning curve for someone like him at this point in his career.

Dion has all the tools to be a Norris dman every year, it's upstairs and the mental understanding and continually making the same mistakes over and over that prevent that from happening. If Hartley could get him just to play his game and keep things simple, he could become a stud again.

I dunno if the conversion is as hard for a pro athlete to make. I look at Burns in SJ, and think Dion would be twice as good as a winger than him.

Keenan did it because I think he benched like 4 wingers one game. And it actually worked and he maintained a lot of pressure and played a great cycle game along the boards.

It is a crazy theory but it's somthing that I would consider as a coach if I ever got stuck with him on my roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad