Dion Phaneuf ( Hypthetical)

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
In a cap world, any team tying up Phaneuf for a long term contract at $7M to lead them will end up with a team not worthy of Stanley Cup consideration.

Not a good use of cap space.

And I'd make the exact same comment about Ovie, though he's on such a crappy team, that it's hard to access how he would fit into an elite team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not a big fan of Dion, but if we could get him for a reasonable price we would be stupid not to. He is a physical minute eating defenseman with a very good shot.

I think pairing him with Chris Butler would actually be a good fit since Butler skates well and won't jump into the rush much and is decent in the defensive zone.

However I would not be willing to give up any of the following (in no particular order):
First round pick (in any year)
  • Monahan
  • Baertschi
  • Gaudreau
  • Gillies
  • Jankowski
  • Poirier
  • Klimchuk
  • Ortio
  • Any roster player not named Wideman

May 27, 2012
Earth
We can't get Phaneuf without giving up one of those pieces. He may not be a #1, but he is torontos #1. I doubt we could acquire him. But with Butke at the helm I guess it's possible....

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I'm not a big fan of Dion, but if we could get him for a reasonable price we would be stupid not to. He is a physical minute eating defenseman with a very good shot.

I think pairing him with Chris Butler would actually be a good fit since Butler skates well and won't jump into the rush much and is decent in the defensive zone.

However I would not be willing to give up any of the following (in no particular order):
First round pick (in any year)
  • Monahan
  • Baertschi
  • Gaudreau
  • Gillies
  • Jankowski
  • Poirier
  • Klimchuk
  • Ortio
  • Any roster player not named Wideman

Wideman, Hanowski and Knight for Dion would be as far as I go.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I like Knight. In the NCAA he had 60%+ faceoff percentage. He is still adjusting to AHL and eventually Nhl. He would be a great 4th line Center and alright 3rd line center. He would be able to kil penalties. Like A bigger Jay Mclement with better hands.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I like Knight. In the NCAA he had 60%+ faceoff percentage. He is still adjusting to AHL and eventually Nhl. He would be a great 4th line Center and alright 3rd line center. He would be able to kil penalties. Like A bigger Jay Mclement with better hands.

IMO Knight, Hanowski and Wideman <<<<<<<<<<< Phaneuf

we have guys like knight and hanowski that can be easily replaced.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Doesn't mean we should trade for Phaneuf. I like phaneuf but 7M for 2nd d paring is a bit too much. I also doubt the leafs would want to replace Phaneuf with Wideman.

Wideman Gunnarsson
Franson Gleason
Reilly Gardiner

Rough.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Having albatross contracts in Phaneuf and Clarkson, not to mention Kessel is signed to huge money leaves the Leafs in a tight spot. Dion's value is not high right now in comparison to points in his career, and Nonis may be willing to move him to free up cap space and address other areas that are lacking on his roster. We were in cap hell not long ago and there is a ton of value in having cap space.

Wideman is not much worse defensively than Dion is, and he scores around 45-50+ points every year. He also makes 1.75 million less going into next season and is not signed long term. Nonis may see value in making that deal.

With all the flack Dion has gotten of late, his value is not what it was. I don't think my suggestion is all that far off, regardless I would not offer much more than that.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Having albatross contracts in Phaneuf and Clarkson, not to mention Kessel is signed to huge money leaves the Leafs in a tight spot. Dion's value is not high right now in comparison to points in his career, and Nonis may be willing to move him to free up cap space and address other areas that are lacking on his roster. We were in cap hell not long ago and there is a ton of value in having cap space.

Wideman is not much worse defensively than Dion is, and he scores around 45-50+ points every year. He also makes 1.75 million less going into next season and is not signed long term. Nonis may see value in making that deal.

With all the flack Dion has gotten of late, his value is not what it was. I don't think my suggestion is all that far off, regardless I would not offer much more than that.

Why not keep Wideman? After reading your post Wideman sounds more enticing than Phaneuf. Cheaper and can put up 45- 50 points, also not much worse defensively than Phaneuf.

I would focus the other pieces else where since we aren't hurting on D.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think Wideman is better defensively than Dion.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Wideman has looked better defensively than Dion over parts of the last 2 seasons, but in the past he has really struggled at times. I know that point is kind of moot, because he is playing good hockey under Hartley.

The reason I suggest moving him for Dion is because he has elements and aspects to his game which quite frankly Wideman doesn't have. IMO, Dion also throughout his career has played at a higher level in his own than Wideman has, and I think Hartley could do the same for Phaneuf that he has done for Jbo, Russell and Wideman.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I think Wideman is better defensively than Dion.

Toronto has converted him to be a defensive D, so Wideman is NOT better at defense then Phaneuf, but if we can change him to a two way D then he would be better then Wideman in all areas. Keep in mind that Phaneuf plays against better competition while Wideman has been playing on our third pairing when he's played this season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Wideman has looked better defensively than Dion over parts of the last 2 seasons, but in the past he has really struggled at times. I know that point is kind of moot, because he is playing good hockey under Hartley.

The reason I suggest moving him for Dion is because he has elements and aspects to his game which quite frankly Wideman doesn't have. IMO, Dion also throughout his career has played at a higher level in his own than Wideman has, and I think Hartley could do the same for Phaneuf that he has done for Jbo, Russell and Wideman.
I wasn't disagreeing. Phaneuf is more talented, more physical and younger. I would be willing to move Wideman and the Avs 2nd for Dion, but nothing more.

Even then I would be extremely leery because of the massive ego coming back our way.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Dion as a Forward > Dion as a defenseman.

I'm serious. Do none of you remember when Keenan had him playing as a forward for a few shifts when benching our forwards?
Dion was great up front.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I wasn't disagreeing. Phaneuf is more talented, more physical and younger. I would be willing to move Wideman and the Avs 2nd for Dion, but nothing more.

Even then I would be extremely leery because of the massive ego coming back our way.

I'd rather keep the 2nd, and throw in Hanowski and Knight

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Dion as a Forward > Dion as a defenseman.

I'm serious. Do none of you remember when Keenan had him playing as a forward for a few shifts when benching our forwards?
Dion was great up front.

Only if Huldler and Cammy are gone, and we don't sign anyone from FA

Gaudreau Backlund Phaneuf :yo:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'd rather make a big run at Severson if we're looking for a bruising D-man that can put up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad