Dion Phaneuf ( Hypthetical)

St Wardo

Registered Prophet
Oct 16, 2013
New Brunswick
I think us signing someone like Phaneuf would make sense if we were a playoff team, but we're not yet, so i can't see it happening. I honestly don't know how i'd feel if we did sign him, though.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Girardi and Franson are better options for our club. I don't like the idea of former issues being brought back when we're rebuilding our culture

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I could see Burke bringing him over and telling him up front "This isn't your team, this team has a captain so we just need you to play your game and nothing more." Take the pressure off him.

It really can't be easy being the Captain of the freaking Maple Leafs just because they had a lack of better options.

I actually think he has matured since being a Flame and he probably won't be seen drunk as a skunk in Cowboys (as much).

If we could get him for cheap, I'd welcome him back.

This is a very good post. I've been watching him religiously since the final year he spent in Red Deer, and while I'm first and foremost a Leafs fan, he's been my favorite player since his very first game in the NHL (I lived in Calgary for 5 years, I caught the Red Mile fever).

He's very much matured since his days in Calgary and since his first season as a Leaf. He's really grown into a leader and a true captain for the Leafs. He might not fit the profile that you see of the "perfect captain" but he's actually been a very good one for us.

Not only has he matured in his attitude, but his game has matured and there has been significant growth in him.

Yeah he isn't scoring point the way he did in his Calgary days. But people need to remember that no one is anymore. The NHL in 2005-2006 was a very different NHL than it is now. There were 6 dman with 60 plus points and ten with 15 or more goals. In his Norris nomination year, there were 4 dman with more points than him. Since 2009-2010 there's only been five dman to break the 60 point barrier.

He's still a top scoring dman though. in 2011-2012 he was 12th overall in d points, tied for 6th in goals, and tied for 6th in PP points. Last season he was tied for 10th in d points, tied for 5th in d goals, and tied for 6th in d PP points.

With that he's added a defensive side of his game. He's much more accomplished at this. He's allowed only 8 goals in 31 games while on the ice in 5 on 5 situations. Only 3 dman have allowed less while playing at least 25 games, and none of them have played anywhere near Phaneuf's minutes. He's a key player on the PK.

He does everything you want a number 1 to do and he actually does it very well. He just doesn't have much defensive support with him, and he's used heavily in defensive situations similar to how Bouwmeester was with the Flames.

I've seen some people say he might not be the best fit and that's a very good point. He's getting older and by the time the Flames are ready to compete he'll likely not be as impactful, so it doesn't make sense to sign him. But he shouldn't be sold short.

Aug 3, 2010
...Please don't bring Phaneuf back in, Burke / Flames organization...

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think Girardi and Franson are better options for our club. I don't like the idea of former issues being brought back when we're rebuilding our culture

can't speak for girardi, but franson isn't half the player phaneuf is. hoping we re-sign him of course, but if we don't....

The Bad Seed*

The nice thing about bringing in a legit #1 is that all of the other D move down one notch. And like RaginStajan pointed out, looks almost like a real NHL D.

I just don't think Phaneuf is the guy the Flames should be opening the vaults for.

1) Doesn't seem to be a guy you can win with. Look at the third period of game 7 vs Boston last spring
2) He has a history with the Flames that is not all positive
3) He seems to have a "Hollywood" mentality. If the Leafs let him go to market I bet he goes to a California team.

I love his game, I just don't see Dion Phaneuf being a good fit for the Flames. Maybe the Flames can draft a true #1 in the next two seasons. Sometimes it doesn't take very long for them to develop. Like Doughty or OEL.

1. The leafs lost game seven Not Dion. Team game. He also plays the hardest Min outside of Chara of any D man in the east. He is certainly the exact type of player you win with.

2. Correct. You're not getting him back Period.

3. He is low maintience. Lives in PEI in the summer, and rarely does interviews. Does not do social media. Clearly he does not have a ''Hollywood'' Mentality. IF and I mean IF he does go to Free agency He will Sign with an Eastern team. BUF,MTL,OTT,BOS.

AfricanHerbsman

May 4, 2010
1. The leafs lost game seven Not Dion. Team game. He also plays the hardest Min outside of Chara of any D man in the east. He is certainly the exact type of player you win with.

2. Correct. You're not getting him back Period.

3. He is low maintience. Lives in PEI in the summer, and rarely does interviews. Does not do social media. Clearly he does not have a ''Hollywood'' Mentality. IF and I mean IF he does go to Free agency He will Sign with an Eastern team. BUF,MTL,OTT,BOS.

I'm really glad you feel this way. I want nothing to do with that bum. Totally Hollywood and not a player that fits with the new flames. We're the hardest working team in the nhl because everyone has the " there's no all star so let's work hard together mentality". Gios team now. Rather draft a stud or sign someone else.

BigTree92

May 6, 2011
I really don't see this happening at all. Phaneuf is the captain and the face of Toronto. He's not going to leave a team that can make the playoffs for a bottom 5 team that he has bad blood with...

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So any of you up for a trade this summer? The return of the King and all that :naughty:

After being the captain of three end of the season collapses he might need a change of scenery. And seeing he spent his best years in Calgary why not bring him back home?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
So any of you up for a trade this summer? The return of the King and all that :naughty:

After being the captain of three end of the season collapses he might need a change of scenery. And seeing he spent his best years in Calgary why not bring him back home?

If he comes, he's going to come because he wants to be here, not because we're paying him the most. That's the kind of team we're building.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona

Too much risk for us IMO. He seems to still be a player who requires a lot of space in the locker room which doesn't really fit with our identity. This is Giordano's team and it ought to stay that way for some time.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Only if we don't need him to play first pairing. I think he needs to focus playing his old style and not.... Whatever it ishe does now. Hit and offense and give him a reliable defense partner to cover him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
At 7M per for 7 more seasons, no thanks. A contract like that could be a massive anchor by the time the team is competitive again.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
**** no. The guy has obvious attitude issues and would immediately clash with the captaincy here. He needs to be somewhere where he is the top guy. He does not suit Calgarys environment/mentality.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
**** no. The guy has obvious attitude issues and would immediately clash with the captaincy here. He needs to be somewhere where he is the top guy. He does not suit Calgarys environment/mentality.

See, I actually think he needs to be somewhere that he is a #3. And I think after what he's gone through in TO, he may relish being not the guy. Dion is not an ideal top pairing guy where he has to face the toughest assignments, I think he would do much better playing on the 2nd unit and playing top PP minutes.

I wouldn't give up anything of value for him, but I would deal Wideman for him.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
See, I actually think he needs to be somewhere that he is a #3. And I think after what he's gone through in TO, he may relish being not the guy. Dion is not an ideal top pairing guy where he has to face the toughest assignments, I think he would do much better playing on the 2nd unit and playing top PP minutes.

I wouldn't give up anything of value for him, but I would deal Wideman for him.

I'm not too excited about giving a guy 7 mil to play on the 2nd pairing. I'd likely do a Wideman/Phaneuf swap, but I would't give up anything else.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not too excited about giving a guy 7 mil to play on the 2nd pairing. I'd likely do a Wideman/Phaneuf swap, but I would't give up anything else.

Agreed. I'm not advocating we need him, but I'd deal Wideman for him and the Leafs get some much needed cap space.

I look at what Hartley has done with Gio, Brodie, Russell, Wideman (he's played well in his own end), and Jbo, I see no reason why Dion couldn't do well either. But it is a crazy contract and I'd only offer so much because he needs to be somewhat sheltered as his IQ isn't great.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

michael-scott-no.gif

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Unless you want to do Wideman + Jones + SOB for Dion forget it. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad