Dion Phaneuf ( Hypthetical)

May 27, 2012
Earth
I know this will not happen. I was thinking what if Phaneuf wanted to test free agency, and we had a chance to sign him. The Burke and Calgary connection there could help it happen.

Since the cap is going up to 71.1 after this season we will have 36.8 Mill in the off-season to sign Cammy(if we still have him and 42.8 if we don't), Stajan, Stempniak, Galiardi , Macdermid ,B. Jones, Bouma , Colborne, Byron , Russell, Breen, and Butler.

If we could grab Phaneuf that would make Butler expendable and be a free agent.

Our D would look something like this

Phaneuf - Wideman

Gio - Russell

Brodie - Smid

O'Brien / Breen

Our defence would look like an actual NHL defence rather the D we have been dressing a of late. Also picking up a top 5 this year will also benefit us as well.

I like Phaneuf, and it would be interesting. Would you be interested?

This is just hypothetical.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
He's still a decent age and is a top 30D in the league. I would say yes. I know there are a lot of fans that hate his attitude, etc. but it would bring a lot of intangibles to this team we lack.

Physicality
#1D (or 2)
Swagger
Pest

I really want to see us go after Phaneuf and Statsny this offseason. Hopefully we will draft two times in the 1st this year and gear up to escape the basement with key FA signings.

GlenX - Statsny - Hudler
Baert - Monahan - D. Jones
Stemp - Stajan - B. Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Gratz

Phaneuf - Gio
Wideman - Brodie
Russell - Smid

Really good defensive group and average down the middle.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I know this will not happen. I was thinking what if Phaneuf wanted to test free agency, and we had a chance to sign him. The Burke and Calgary connection there could help it happen.

Since the cap is going up to 71.1 after this season we will have 36.8 Mill in the off-season to sign Cammy(if we still have him and 42.8 if we don't), Stajan, Stempniak, Galiardi , Macdermid ,B. Jones, Bouma , Colborne, Byron , Russell, Breen, and Butler.

If we could grab Phaneuf that would make Butler expendable and be a free agent.

Our D would look something like this

Phaneuf - Wideman

Gio - Russell

Brodie - Smid

O'Brien / Breen

Our defence would look like an actual NHL defence rather the D we have been dressing a of late. Also picking up a top 5 this year will also benefit us as well.

I like Phaneuf, and it would be interesting. Would you be interested?

This is just hypothetical.

I would do it.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The only issue I have with this is it prevents the young guys from possibly moving up. However, I dont think it's unrealistic to say that Phaneuf could be a Flame come July.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
The only issue I have with this is it prevents the young guys from possibly moving up. However, I dont think it's unrealistic to say that Phaneuf could be a Flame come July.
It's not really a problem as we currently really have no D prospects that look like 1st pairing material anyway. And even if we get Ekblad he wouldn't be able to take those minutes immediately. Dion should be able to deliver for another 5 years at least. So yeah, signing Phaneuf would make quite a bit of sense and I'd be OK with it.

My pairings:
Dion - Brodie
Gio - Wideman
Russell - Smid

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Not sure if it would be the best idea.

You'd almost have to go straight to Gio and ask him. It's his team now, he is THE GUY and is thriving being the guy. Phaneuf coming from being the guy and a captain, to his former team which he had reported attitude problems with.

Risky move. Probably not going to happen.

Aug 3, 2010

You'd almost have to go straight to Gio and ask him. It's his team now, he is THE GUY and is thriving being the guy. Phaneuf coming from being the guy and a captain, to his former team which he had reported attitude problems with.

Took the words from my mouth. Really don't like the idea of Phaneuf coming in and upending Giordano's authority as captain, and I don't feel like at this point Phaneuf would be satisfied as just an alternate after having a taste of captaincy in the capital of the hockey world.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The nice thing about bringing in a legit #1 is that all of the other D move down one notch. And like RaginStajan pointed out, looks almost like a real NHL D.

I just don't think Phaneuf is the guy the Flames should be opening the vaults for.

1) Doesn't seem to be a guy you can win with. Look at the third period of game 7 vs Boston last spring
2) He has a history with the Flames that is not all positive
3) He seems to have a "Hollywood" mentality. If the Leafs let him go to market I bet he goes to a California team.

I love his game, I just don't see Dion Phaneuf being a good fit for the Flames. Maybe the Flames can draft a true #1 in the next two seasons. Sometimes it doesn't take very long for them to develop. Like Doughty or OEL.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

This is my thoughts. Phaneuf needing to be the guy would not go over well with Giordano

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
No way. Last thing you want around kids is entitled vets. He will never live up to the Norris-caliber billing he once had, and hasn't won anything since he left.

Let him go to the greasers. Their kids deserve it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The nice thing about bringing in a legit #1 is that all of the other D move down one notch. And like RaginStajan pointed out, looks almost like a real NHL D.

I just don't think Phaneuf is the guy the Flames should be opening the vaults for.

1) Doesn't seem to be a guy you can win with. Look at the third period of game 7 vs Boston last spring
2) He has a history with the Flames that is not all positive
3) He seems to have a "Hollywood" mentality. If the Leafs let him go to market I bet he goes to a California team.

I love his game, I just don't see Dion Phaneuf being a good fit for the Flames. Maybe the Flames can draft a true #1 in the next two seasons. Sometimes it doesn't take very long for them to develop. Like Doughty or OEL.

I think the Flames will have to do significant building through the draft. I'd go hard after Statsny this year and maybe another D like Franson or Girardi. Obviously every team will be pursuing those guys so there's not a good chance we'll land them, but our priorities should be in gathering prospects/picks/college free agents.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I could see Burke bringing him over and telling him up front "This isn't your team, this team has a captain so we just need you to play your game and nothing more." Take the pressure off him.

It really can't be easy being the Captain of the freaking Maple Leafs just because they had a lack of better options.

I actually think he has matured since being a Flame and he probably won't be seen drunk as a skunk in Cowboys (as much).

If we could get him for cheap, I'd welcome him back.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Everyone that Phaneuf was rumoured to have had issues with (and there were like five of them) is now gone.

I'd love it if he came back because I find amusement in chaos, and that is what it'd be around here for a while.

Phaneuf likely has issues with himself.....

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Honestly just no, I do not think he is a player you want leading a rebuild. Seems sour in the room and wants all of the spotlight. Also when he left i was sorta happy, His defensive gaffes and his inability to aim the puck consistently was starting to get annoying. We do not need Dion. He is no longer the player he was that we all liked at 22.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
personally I think him and Gio would be an unreal pairing.

At the same time Gio has never been better than this year as the #1 guy what if bringing in a new #1 sets him back? Personally if Gio plays this good all year I would try and make a trade with one of Wideman/Smid for a younger more long term solution.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wideman should be a lot easier to trade with the cap increasing significantly. His NMC makes things interesting though. The Senators and Islanders need top four defenders and both have a lot of young talent to work with. But both teams also operate on budgets below the cap ceiling, meaning they'd have trade salary back as well, which actually works for the Flames since they need to reach the floor anyway.

Regarding Phanuef, only makes sense if they move Wideman or don't re-sign Russell. But I would agree that bringing him in would likely cause lockerroom issues; its never been a question that Dion has a large ego and that probably won't work with what the Flames are trying to create. I'd rather just re-sign Russell anyway.

I see Phanuef either re-signing with the Leafs or joining the Oilers for a hilarious overpayment (e.g. upwards of 8m+ for seven years).

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
Hmmm ill roll the dice, but his asking price would be 7M+ im guessing. Not saying we cant afford it. Ut cant justify paying someone like that, that much dollars maybe 5-6 is more realistic not in FA thiugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad