Dion Phaneuf discussion thread

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That $6.5 million price is clearly a steal. Offensive production was top 10 in the league and his possession numbers against the top lines ( CORSI Rel QoC) is top five in the league. In addition, when it comes to defensive zone starts, he's in the top 20 range.

In other words, he's used like JayBo, takes on tougher competition, while producing top 10 offensively. He's the main reason why we comfortably made the playoffs last season. If anything, the missing link is actually Carl Gunnarsson.

Maybe promoting Franson onto the top line if we can't find a suitable partner is required.

Dion - Franson
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Blacker
Rielly
Phaneuf and Franson did work well on the 1st power play unit, so maybe that's something Caryle should try during the pre-season to see how they can play together in a 5 on 5 situation.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Weren't there issues in the locker room as well with Iginla and Regehr? That also may have had something to do withthe trade.

Maybe. But I would surmise that Sutter called a few teams, including Toronto. If that was really all Dion could get back, that's pretty telling how much other teams think of him as well.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Maybe. But I would surmise that Sutter called a few teams, including Toronto. If that was really all Dion could get back, that's pretty telling how much other teams think of him as well.

I thought there were also rumblings that Sutter didn't call around enough or something and he could've gotten more.

In any case, I don't really care. As long as Phaneuf doesn't get a raise I'm fine with his contract. Only guy who should make 7 million on this team is Kessel.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I thought there were also rumblings that Sutter didn't call around enough or something and he could've gotten more.

In any case, I don't really care. As long as Phaneuf doesn't get a raise I'm fine with his contract. Only guy who should make 7 million on this team is Kessel.

Agreed. Dion's contract needs a haircut. And he needs a new one too.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
This has nothing to do with denial.

Why would a team would trade away a supposed star player for nothing?
Why does that even matter? He's producing at the top ten rate offensively up against the top lines. The other so-called "star" defenceman are primarily given offensive zone starts, against weaker lines and yet Phaneuf clusters with them.

What does that tell? It demonstrates that he's clearly worth more than $6.5 million. With that in mind, I have yet to see any respectable argument against Phaneuf in this entire thread.

[Added Later]

I could ask, why was Lupul moved by Anahiem as a salary dump? That trade got us a first line forward and surely, if he can be considered that great, he should've gotten more.

Lupul + Gardiner + 1st rounder for Beauchemin.

Looks like Lups is a fourth line energy forward...

PS: As I said, it happens.

Last edited:

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Phaneuf Haters turning to the "why would Calgary give him up for peanuts if he is so good?" This is such a silly arguement. They were really thin on forward, and had Bouwmeester, Regher, Giordano, still on D even with Phaneuf gone. They thought at the time the trade improved their hockey club. Ask Calgary management if they would do that deal again today? That answer is a guaranteed no. Lost of star players have been moved over the years for next to nothing. Patrick Roy anyone?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Thought of him. He was traded a few years ago now and he's clearly developed since leaving Calgary. The Flames were also looking for depth in the trade, which is usually a recipe for disaster. The Thornton trade is another good example of what happens when you do that.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Phaneuf Haters turning to the "why would Calgary give him up for peanuts if he is so good?" This is such a silly arguement. They were really thin on forward, and had Bouwmeester, Regher, Giordano, still on D even with Phaneuf gone. They thought at the time the trade improved their hockey club. Ask Calgary management if they would do that deal again today? That answer is a guaranteed no. Lost of star players have been moved over the years for next to nothing. Patrick Roy anyone?

Joe Thornton and Markus Naslund come to mind.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why would a team would trade away a supposed star player for nothing?

Are you really relying on what you think Calgary thought of him to make the argument that he isn't good/deserving/whatever? How the hell does that hold any weight compared to watching him for the past 3 seasons?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

I'm pretty sure I remember Burke saying that he he had made a list of defensemen he was interested in acquiring and called every the GM who had each of those players and earlier in the season he was told by Sutter that Phaneuf was not available. Later in the seaosn Burke said that he heard Dion was available from another GM, not by Sutter. He then called Sutter and they started putting the deal together.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Phaneuf is WELL worth his contract. If he weren't here for an extended period everyone would be crying themselves to sleep. If his play continues I'd have no problem giving him a 6.5-7 mil per year contract next year.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
His playoff performance could probably go down as one of the worst ever. Semin-like.

The fact he wasn't hurt boggles my mind. He looked like he forgot how to skate and had zero intentions of doing anything other than slop around the ice.

Otherwise, he's great/terrific/awesome and all that stuff. He's a #2 offensive D. Anyone who thinks he's a defensive minutes eater in the mold of Chara is out to lunch *Ahem Carlyle*.

guitarist37

Dec 8, 2010
Otherwise, he's great/terrific/awesome and all that stuff. He's a #2 offensive D. Anyone who thinks he's a defensive minutes eater in the mold of Chara is out to lunch *Ahem Carlyle*.

Im pretty sure that's the general consensus on this board. Phaneuf is good but overused by a litle bit. Our most pressing need this off season is getting a guy who can relieve Dion of a few minutes a night. His play will improve for sure.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
if phaneuf was paired with an actual top pairing defenseman i think he would be in norris contention.

its like when kessel first got here and we had him on a line with crabb and stajan. what did you want kessel to do. you put him with some linemates and all of a sudden he is a ppg winger.

you cant put your top pairing defensman with an ahl partner and expect him to put up 25+ min a night against toughest competition, play pk and pp and have to cover for his defensive partner.

if nonis could ever find him a seabrook like partner i think phaneuf would show a lot of people ho valuable he really is.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
His playoff performance could probably go down as one of the worst ever. Semin-like.

The fact he wasn't hurt boggles my mind. He looked like he forgot how to skate and had zero intentions of doing anything other than slop around the ice.

Yeah.... I'm not sure anyone would agree with any of your points. The fact that he puts up top 10 numbers doesn't mean anything, or the fact that he has the most defensive zone starts against the toughest competition. Just cause you think people are "out to lunch" because it's not your opinion doesn't make you any less wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad