Dion Phaneuf discussion thread

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Phaneuf in the playoffs was a -6, with 3 points in 7 games. Franson was even, with 6 points in 7 games.

Edit: Regular season:

Franson: 45GP 29 Points +4
Phaneuf: 48GP 28 Points -4

Franson was also scratched and reinserted into the lineup to take away his timing, if you left him in there as Phaneuf is consistently left, I'm fairly confident he'll be a better all around defender than Phanuef. Phaneuf is a huge liability playing defence, highlighted in the Game 7 collapse, had we had someone else out there.. things may have been different..

+/-?:laugh:

Maybe you should also take into account quality of their competition. There's a reason Phaneuf usually gets close to 10mins more TOI per game then Franson.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I think Dion could fetch the big #1 centre the Leafs desperately need, I also think he'll get a gross overpayment like other stud defence men have gotten of late. This is why I'd be willing to trade Dion, the Leafs simply are not good enough to potentially let Dion walk, or overpay him. As sad as it sounds by low sell high is a sound way to improve your team. I'd replace him by trying my damnedest to acquire Tyler Myers from the Sabres, although he's had some growing pains, the kids going to be Chara 2.0 by the time the Leafs are ready to content for the cup.
I think they should trade him. He'll get worse as time goes on and that's BAD. Yes, they would need a guy who can play 20+ minutes a game but Phaneuf's only good in a 'stay-at-home' system in which he isn't getting too many minutes. Also, he's on the #1 PP unit but if he doesn't have a chance at a shot or doesn't get it on net, he is not too useful. He is not a good puck possession player when he has the puck in the offensive zone nor a good stick handler. His defensive coverage is subpar and he'll probably be asking for too much regarding his contract.

Just my opinion.

mikebel111*

I think they should trade him. He'll get worse as time goes on and that's BAD. Yes, they would need a guy who can play 20+ minutes a game but Phaneuf's only good in a 'stay-at-home' system in which he isn't getting too many minutes. Also, he's on the #1 PP unit but if he doesn't have a chance at a shot or doesn't get it on net, he is not too useful. He is not a good puck possession player when he has the puck in the offensive zone nor a good stick handler. His defensive coverage is subpar and he'll probably be asking for too much regarding his contract.

Just my opinion.

you take dion out, our defence is trash. he is the only player who is capable of playing against the best players. for the most part, he does a good job. this team needs another top 4 d man. than watch, phaneuf will play amazing.

phaneuf is untouchable

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
you take dion out, our defence is trash. he is the only player who is capable of playing against the best players. for the most part, he does a good job. this team needs another top 4 d man. than watch, phaneuf will play amazing.

phaneuf is untouchable

no one on the current Leaf team is, or should be untouchable, Gardiner would be the last guy I'd trade though.........

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Just my opinion.

So if you take away everything he does well he's no good. Got it.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Needs his pay cut too.

doubt he'll take a salary cut, most likely wants a significant raise along with a NTC if not a NMC, here come Bryan McCabe part 2, anyone remember how well that worked out??????????

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
doubt he'll take a salary cut, most likely wants a significant raise along with a NTC if not a NMC, here come Bryan McCabe part 2, anyone remember how well that worked out??????????

@ $6.5 mil currently Phaneuf has the 8th highest cap hit among all defenseman.

A significant raise would move him even higher still.

You would think that relative to the rest of the league would be a measuring stick to determine his salary.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

A significant raise would move him even higher.

I'm aware of what Dion makes, but don't you think the "best" defence man on the team, the Captain and team "leader" won't expect a raise? Regardless of the cap going up or down, the player will want a raise, especially Dion, the Leafs "best" defence man. This, is why I believe now is the time to trade him, he will want a elite defence man payday, and although he's a good defence man, he's not NHL Elite. Suter like money is crazy, and Leafs would be wise to get something for him while they can, because I'd rather see him walk for nothing, than to give him Suter like money. Dallas probably didn't like losing Brad Richards for nothing, but are happy they didn't match the offer given by the Rangers, makes you think............

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

You would think that relative to the rest of the league would be a measuring stick to determine his salary.

the new guy has started gutting the raptors and now he ll turn to the leafs ....u gotta win to get paid ,not just the best on the leafs ,the best in the league ,4.5 two year extension or he csan go for a draft pick ,lomg as he is here we have a crappy captain ..he gone!!

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
So if you take away everything he does well he's no good. Got it.
Gardiner has talent, is younger, is a dman that would actually have value to other teams but you'd trade him before you'd ever trade Phaneuf who was traded for other mediocre forwards. Got it.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

phaneuf is untouchable
Haha. Okay. The Leafs' defence is already trash.

number72

Oct 9, 2011

Let's give Phaneuf a big raise that not only ensure he will play and be partnered with an AHL team mate put also puts the leafs in cap hell so they can't bring in other UFA and sign their RFA.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Gardiner has talent, is younger, is a dman that would actually have value to other teams but you'd trade him before you'd ever trade Phaneuf who was traded for other mediocre forwards. Got it.

Dion Phaneuf is a multi time all star, was among the league leaders in scoring for defensemen, plays more minutes against the best players in the league than any other defenseman, and is our captain.

Gardiner may one day be as good as Phaneuf.... Maybe....

At this point in time I trade Gradiner before Phaneuf easily.

I feel bad for this kid when he doesn't turn into the next Bobby Orr and LN turns on him.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Let's give Phaneuf a big raise that not only ensure he will play and be partnered with an AHL team mate put also puts the leafs in cap hell so they can't bring in other UFA and sign their RFA.

Nope. It's become very clear on these boards that any time a player is due a raise you get rid of em. Thats how you build a winner.

Overpaying for players that others teams release is a sure way to cap harmony though.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

That $6.5 million price is clearly a steal. Offensive production was top 10 in the league and his possession numbers against the top lines ( CORSI Rel QoC) is top five in the league. In addition, when it comes to defensive zone starts, he's in the top 20 range.

In other words, he's used like JayBo, takes on tougher competition, while producing top 10 offensively. He's the main reason why we comfortably made the playoffs last season. If anything, the missing link is actually Carl Gunnarsson.

Maybe promoting Franson onto the top line if we can't find a suitable partner is required.

Dion - Franson
Gardiner - Gunnarsson
Fraser - Blacker
Rielly

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The new NHL.

Needs his pay cut too.

How much does PK Subban make? That's right, a lot of players are in for a rude shock as the new $54M cap sinks in.Teams who are in bad shape, such as Vancouver, will be desperate to unload their overpaid players to no avail.Phaneuff will be getting a paycut,he is good but not $6.5M worth.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
How much does PK Subban make? That's right, a lot of players are in for a rude shock as the new $54M cap sinks in.Teams who are in bad shape, such as Vancouver, will be desperate to unload their overpaid players to no avail.Phaneuff will be getting a paycut,he is good but not $6.5M worth.
I think a lot of fans are in for a shock if they think the Subbans/ Phaneufs are going to take pay cuts. If the Leafs won't pay Phaneuf 6.5, someone else will.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think a lot of fans are in for a shock if they think the Subbans/ Phaneufs are going to take pay cuts. If the Leafs won't pay Phaneuf 6.5, someone else will.
A lot of fans are deluded. If he wants $6.5 million, he'll get it. A top ten offensive producer who can take the puck into the opposition zone while largely being planted into the defensive zone. Just give him a steady puck mover, and we'll see his possession number skyrocket.

I remember him in Calgary, he was mighty arrogant. One who was surrounded by defensively competent D, and didn't take his defensive tasks seriously. However, he was considered a Norris-contender at that time. On the other hand last season, his offensive production is comparable while being most depended on defensively.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
the new guy has started gutting the raptors and now he ll turn to the leafs ....u gotta win to get paid ,not just the best on the leafs ,the best in the league ,4.5 two year extension or he csan go for a draft pick ,lomg as he is here we have a crappy captain ..he gone!!

Ah so you have UFA Phaneuf rated below Boyle, Green, Burns, Wisniewski, Carle, Wideman, Martin, Bieksa, Garrison, Goligoski and at or near Hamhuis, Tyutin, Coburn, Pitkanen, Vlasic, Volchenkov, Kuba, Meszaros, Ehrhoff, Gleason, etc.?

Seems fair.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Last 2yrs Dman ranks:

Top-5 in Quality of Competition
4th in Goals
4th in Hits
6th in Time On Ice
7th in Goals Created
8th in Caphit
11th in Points
Top-25 in Blocked Shots

yep, you're right, relative to the rest of the league is the measuring stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad