Dion Phaneuf Appreciation Thread

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dion is an elite defender well worth $7mil. Stop your whining, stop yer *****ing, he;s gonna get his retirement contract ... its not your money, its not going to affect our ability to sign other players, it will not force us to trade anyone from our core to keep him. Stop assuming you know more than Nonis, Loiselle and Poulin ,if they feel Dion is worth it, he is probably worth it.

Some of you Leaf fans... you're starting to sound like them fans from that island in Qc.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Don't know if its already been posted and being ignored, or if no one has said it yet, but, have you seen the new tv deal the NHL signed with Rogers for Canadian NHL coverage? You may wonder "why is this bloak bringing that up, it has no relevance". Here's the thing, it does have relevenacr. The cap is going to go through the roof. 8 years from now 7m is gunna be #3-4 dman money. So why complain about Dion getting an 8 year, 7 mil per contract. We get a top 15 defenceman locked up, at what will be a great cap hit down the road, and we don't have any repercussions as a result. Were the richest franchise in the league, might as well spend to the cap.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
It pains me to see that he is the only consistent defender on the team yet we want to run him off.
It's also frightening that these individuals probably haven't even seen the supposed top ten defenceman play. Actually, I am starting to think that they cannot even keep up with how these defenceman play when up against us.

Personally, Letang and Karlsson are very one-dimensional as is Subban despite being a dominant puck rusher. I've seen a good amount of Chicago games and don't ever remember Keith - Seabrook being used in a shut down role either. Instead it was the Oduya- Hjalmarsson pairing doing that work with the "top pairing" doing the offensive work.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dion is an elite defender well worth $7mil. Stop your whining, stop yer *****ing, he;s gonna get his retirement contract ... its not your money, its not going to affect our ability to sign other players, it will not force us to trade anyone from our core to keep him. Stop assuming you know more than Nonis, Loiselle and Poulin ,if they feel Dion is worth it, he is probably worth it.

Some of you Leaf fans... you're starting to sound like them fans from that island in Qc.

By this logic, you would never question any move made by any GM ever because they know more than we do, therefore they never make mistakes. Is that really what you think?

You say Dion is well worth 7mil but what if Nonis says nope, he's worth no more than 4mil and we're not paying a penny more? If Nonis says so then it's probably true and you're good with that correct?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm fine with a 8 year term, if we are able to lower his cap hit as he ages.

Pay him top dollar for the first 4, then gradually lower it.

8y x 6m is what I'm looking for.

I'd take a $6.0M cap hit for Phaneuf. Much more than that and I'd look to see what he'd garner in a trade.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Dont be fooled, a good portion of the posters here that want Dion gone, are not Leaf fans.

I'm a Leafs fan of 50 years, and, if Phaneuf wants any more than a $6.5M cap hit, I'd want to see what package Nonis could get in a trade for him. IMHO he's been overpaid on his current deal till maybe this year.

hockeyfanz*

Why are you responding to a question that was not posed or even directed at you? Your answer by the way is also wrong.

No its not. If he goes to FA he will be overpaid for his services like the majority of sought after FAs. He will be paid more than he is worth. David Clarkson ring a bell?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
No its not. If he goes to FA he will be overpaid for his services like the majority of sought after FAs. He will be paid more than he is worth. David Clarkson ring a bell?

Wrong yet again. You are consistent with your bias agenda, I"ll give you that much. Clarkson got paid what the market determined what his worth was, you cant be overpaid when the market deems your worth. If Phaneuf hits UFA he will make more than 7 million per, and that is what clubs will value his worth. Your schtick is getting very old and tired.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Phaneuf has been by far our best defender, and its really noticeable this year. He's having an amazing year no doubt, best as a Leaf. With that said though, I still have a problem paying him in the 7.5 area x 8.

I'd maybe be fine with 7.2ish x 5 or 6 years. If he wants more years, he has to bring the caphit down.

Maybe Phaneuf is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to D partners, maybe he can be a whole lot better. Elite defensemen usually have a great partner to compliment them, there are very few dmen in this league who single handedly can make everyone around them better.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Try learning a bit about economics. Start with supply vs demand then go from there.

BayStreetBullies*

I'm a Leafs fan of 50 years, and, if Phaneuf wants any more than a $6.5M cap hit, I'd want to see what package Nonis could get in a trade for him. IMHO he's been overpaid on his current deal till maybe this year.

And this is why you're not the GM.

hockeyfanz*

Try learning a bit about economics. Start with supply vs demand then go from there.

So if there were 10 defencemen available as free agents in the same caliber as Dion Phaneuf..would he have the same leverage to negotiate? Answer = no.

Does that mean his value is dependant on what else is available in supply vs. demand.. Answer= yes.

Is the amount of money that David Clarkson make strictly dependant on his skill set alone. Answer = NO.

In retrospect can you deem that you overpaid for a commodity because at the time of purchase the supply was low and the demand was high. Answer = YES.

So what you are saying is there are no bad signings. No bad contracts and no poor use of resources all based on supply vs. demand. Okay.

That means the Mike Komisarek signing. The Tim Connolly signing. The Jason Blake signing. The Colby Armstrong signing..and on and on and on...were not bad signings and not overpayments because the marketplace at the time dictated how much these stiffs would get paid. Sure Mr. Economics. Makes a ton of sense.

If Dion hits the marketplace..it will be very possible that somebody pays more than he is worth. In fact it is likely. Just like Nonis paid Clarkson more than he is worth. Unless you actually believe that Clarkson is worth 5.25M dollars per season based on his career numbers. Look at other players in his salary range. You cannot conclude he is overpaid?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
By this logic, you would never question any move made by any GM ever because they know more than we do, therefore they never make mistakes. Is that really what you think?

You say Dion is well worth 7mil but what if Nonis says nope, he's worth no more than 4mil and we're not paying a penny more? If Nonis says so then it's probably true and you're good with that correct?

My wife watches Grey's anatomy, doesn't make her qualified to make medical recommendations. I watch Counting Cars, it doesn't make me an auto mechanic, all of us watch hockey, that doesn't make us qualified to make personnel decisions for pro hockey teams.

We're fans, we have opinions that are typically based on emotion, not on an extensive data based study. Nonis and his team have complied reports and studies on Dion's strengths and weakness, using these reports they will come to an educated conclusion on his market value.

There is not a single Dman in the league over the last 2 years that consistently faces as tough competition and performs as well as Dion, that is not an opinion, that is a fact that is supported by data. What he is worth with be dictated by the market, not by an armchair GM's that claims to know every thing about fiscal responsibility but probably doesn't have a cent in his saving account

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Players who can't think the game at a high level and aren't fleet of foot aren't generally productive going into their mid-30s. Dion is having his best season as a Maple Leaf (maybe career) but I fully expect him to decline drastically in the next 4-5 years. If he gets 8 years then he will almost be a lock to being a cap burden on our roster in 5+ years. You can't dump these contracts in the minors any more.

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
Dion Phaneuf only has 43 shots in 28 games, ~1.5/game. Do you guys make anything of this? He had 88 in 48 games last year ~2/game and 202 in 82 games the year before ~2.5/game.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Dion Phaneuf only has 43 shots in 28 games, ~1.5/game. Do you guys make anything of this? He had 88 in 48 games last year ~2/game and 202 in 82 games the year before ~2.5/game.

He's been told to stop shooting, because, all he does is injure his own players! :laugh:

He can't hit the net, but, he can take his own players heads off from the blue line. :amazed:

BayStreetBullies*

Along with you and every other poster on here! :laugh:

I don't recall saying "If Phaneuf demands X amount, we should look to trade him", and then proceed to offer jacksquat in the way of any viable solutions for his replacement. ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
My wife watches Grey's anatomy, doesn't make her qualified to make medical recommendations. I watch Counting Cars, it doesn't make me an auto mechanic, all of us watch hockey, that doesn't make us qualified to make personnel decisions for pro hockey teams.

We're fans, we have opinions that are typically based on emotion, not on an extensive data based study. Nonis and his team have complied reports and studies on Dion's strengths and weakness, using these reports they will come to an educated conclusion on his market value.

There is not a single Dman in the league over the last 2 years that consistently faces as tough competition and performs as well as Dion, that is not an opinion, that is a fact that is supported by data. What he is worth with be dictated by the market, not by an armchair GM's that claims to know every thing about fiscal responsibility but probably doesn't have a cent in his saving account

1- see post by hockeyfanz above re. worth dictated by market.
2- You don't need to lecture me on Dion's value, I have said I want him resigned. :)
3- You never answered my question.

Editing to comment on you saying this:

"armchair GM's that claims to know every thing about fiscal responsibility but probably doesn't have a cent in his saving account"

You don't know the first thing about me. If you wan't to discuss hockey then try to do it without making assumptions about and insulting people you have never even met.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I don't recall saying "If Phaneuf demands X amount, we should look to trade him", and then proceed to offer jacksquat in the way of any viable solutions for his replacement. ;)

I'd take Jack Squat as his replacement. He'd come cheap and probably play a lot better in the last 11 minutes of that infamous game 7 than Dion did. :D

BayStreetBullies*

Players who can't think the game at a high level and aren't fleet of foot aren't generally productive going into their mid-30s. Dion is having his best season as a Maple Leaf (maybe career) but I fully expect him to decline drastically in the next 4-5 years. If he gets 8 years then he will almost be a lock to being a cap burden on our roster in 5+ years. You can't dump these contracts in the minors any more.

You expect him to decline around the same time where most d-men are still in their prime? He's 28, an 8 year contract would take him to 36 which is closer to when you should start expecting him, or any d-man to decline.

BayStreetBullies*

I'd take Jack Squat as his replacement. He'd come cheap and probably play a lot better in the last 11 minutes of that infamous game 7 than Dion did. :D

Thanks for proving my point Eklund. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5