Dion Phaneuf Appreciation Thread

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Seriously, how is no one talking about Dion Phaneuf yet? He's been our most consistent player, he only plays against the other teams best players and played a near perfect game. He's matured so much since we acquired him, always looking for the big slap shot and big hit, but turning it over and being out of position.

People who think we can afford to lose Dion Phaneuf are ridiculous. How do you expect to replace his 26 minutes a night against the other teams best players, and in all situations. Meanwhile, he's our captain, and our most intimidating presence.

5 years, 6.5M is my ideal contract extension for Phaneuf.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
People who think we can afford to lose Dion Phaneuf are ridiculous. How do you expect to replace his 26 minutes a night against the other teams best players, and in all situations. Meanwhile, he's our captain, and our most intimidating presence.

When I hear someone say that Leafs would be better off letting him walk for nothing then giving him a marginal raise, I automatically assume that person knows nothing about hockey.

Penalty Kill Icing*

He has played very well in games thus far. Best defenseman in probably all the games.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
He has played very well in games thus far. Best defenseman in probably all the games.

Not only has he been the best D for us every game, he's been the best D on the ice for every single game. That means he's outplayed:

Subban, Timmonen, Karlsson, E. Johnson and Weber.

That's 3 top 10, arguably top 5, D in the NHL. I'm not saying Phaneuf is better than those 3, but he outplayed them in those games.

I think the top 10D in the NHL are (in no particular order):

Suter, Weber, Karlsson, Subban, Chara, OEL, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Letang.

Phaneuf is arguably around the 15th best D. After the top 10 there's about 10 guys who could fight for the 5 best. The difference is between Phaneuf, and most of the other guys who could be in that spot (Yandle, Edler, McDonagh, Campbell, Timonen, Kronwall, M. Staal, etc...) is that Phaneuf can be relied on in all situations, and is expected to be our best D in any situation.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
When I hear someone say that Leafs would be better off letting him walk for nothing then giving him a marginal raise, I automatically assume that person knows nothing about hockey.

Phaneuf is my barometer to measure other posters hockey knowledge.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Phaneuf has been good. Honestly I think things are nice when he's not a story because it just shows how reliable he's been out there.

Kind of easy to get lost in the shuffle despite being the captain. Rielly's play, Bernier, the difficult starts where we get outshot, Kessel signing his extension, Clarkson's suspension, etc. There have been plenty of stories and just playing quietly well is something that can be forgotten.

I'm fine with keeping Phaneuf, just have to find the right contract. I suppose a positive from his Calgary deal is that a massive raise isn't necessary in his case.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
My personal favourite is hearing peoples responses to the question "what should Dion Phaneuf's salary be?"

You'd be surprised how many people say between 3.5-4M per year, when any educated hockey fan should be saying 6.5-7.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Phaneuf has been the solid rock on the defence so far this year. The go to guy in any situation and has helped the penalty kill a lot so far.

He's been quite the past three games but that's probably the best sign for Phaneuf defensively.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Mystified by the amount and level of outright hatred Dion gets from some Leaf fans on several media/social media outlets.

he's the Captain. seriously the amount of crap Sundin got from Leaf fans from the social media (well at that time it was just talk shows LOL).

I bet you now if Clarke/Gilmour were captains of this era it would be the same.

Dion Phaneuf is playing awesome. I truly hope we get him some support (ie: another minute munching steady defenseman). But I honestly think he stays. He's told Nonis the magic words of "I want to play here." so they're getting it done.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He's been so good. Not making many mistakes, blocking shots, clearing the puck, moving it on the PP.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Saw him on TSN this morning talking about a practice and he spoke like a true captain - seems like he has a good friendship with Phil as well

ScotsLeaf

Aug 29, 2013
Balloch,Scotland
he's the Captain. seriously the amount of crap Sundin got from Leaf fans from the social media (well at that time it was just talk shows LOL).

I bet you now if Clarke/Gilmour were captains of this era it would be the same.

Dion Phaneuf is playing awesome. I truly hope we get him some support (ie: another minute munching steady defenseman). But I honestly think he stays. He's told Nonis the magic words of "I want to play here." so they're getting it done.

Can't disagree,at least he seems to be appreciated on here :)

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I've flip flopped so much on him over the last 4 years, but it's undeniable the way he's changed as a player. The production will fall of course, but the man is providing excellent defense.

He'll ask for 8, probably get it, and will continue to be hated.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Seriously, how is no one talking about Dion Phaneuf yet? He's been our most consistent player, he only plays against the other teams best players and played a near perfect game. He's matured so much since we acquired him, always looking for the big slap shot and big hit, but turning it over and being out of position.

5 years, 6.5M is my ideal contract extension for Phaneuf.

Played great so far this year, can't complain, but it's contract year. My fear is if he gets his new deal he'll go back to his old self. Ripping shots high and wide, spending more time behind the opposition goal line than our forwards do.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario

It's mostly people who don't really understand the game or people who seem to have a deeply rooted hate for dion, and lets not forget some stooges in the media.it's not really the majority but when he does have a mistake they sure love to pick it apart.

I am really happy to see that he's finally starting to get some respect around these boards.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
A fantastic defenseman and a true #1. I've been really impressed with his play so far this year, despite a somewhat slow offensive start.

I remember at the end of last year, and having a bunch of Leafs fan summer classmates who absolutely hated him :shakehead The heat that Phaneuf gets is undeserved. He shouldn't play the amount of time he did in the playoffs, but he can still eat huge minutes. We'd have been pretty dead in the water last year without him.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Best Defenseman on the ice for all the games so far. Badly outperforming Karlsson, Subban, Weber.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
l01012_stud.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: