News Article: Ding Dong, Steigy's Dead (No, not literally -- Steve Mears is replacing him)

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
MS%20Paint%20Paul%20Steigerwald%20%26%20Bob%20Errey.jpg

Need to make a new one now

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Errey is actually pretty enjoyable when not paired with Steigy.
I enjoyed him alot more when he was doing TSN stuff for the Worlds with different hosts.
Just having Errey not saying Steigy many times a broadcast is good enough for me.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'll miss the way other fan-bases complain about Steigy when they are forced to watch our broadcasts. Reading their rage about having to mute to TB always brought a smile to my face.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
I just thought of the worst outcome: Steigy is Bots replacement as AGM.

However, can you imagine him making some trade deadline calls?

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Just having Errey not saying Steigy many times a broadcast is good enough for me.

Ha I thought of this too. Though to be fair, Steigy flows off the tongue better than "Mearsy."

I like Mears, but I thought he was painfully boring (style and voice-wise) back when he was doing stuff on Pens radio and called a few games. But the video posted a couple pages back, he seems to be a bit better.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not the type that wishes someone to lose their job but I've never been a huge Steigy fan. He's a life long fan that no doubt loves our hockey team but he's also a very generic, overly homer style announcer.

Looking back I wish we would have had a better TV announcer through this Crosby/Malkin era. There's so many memories and so few, if any, memorable calls from Steigy.

Some of the things Steigy said over the years were so cringe worthy that you almost couldn't help but laugh. Obviously the Hobey Baker comment was one of those, dressing up and talking like a cowboy and when he appeared in the pregame opening as Count Steigula around Halloween a few years ago.

Also, I love Bob Errey. I'm glad he's sticking around. He's a goofy homer but he's a former player that knows the game. Errey's goofy homer style wouldn't really even be a problem if not paired with Steigy. Errey and Steigy together is just overkill with the goofy homer thing. Hopefully Mears is a more serious PBP guy and Errey can be his goofy self and there will be more balance personality wise.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I'm not a Steigy lovers, even though I never complained about his play-by-play, but I would prefers his calling instead of the NBC guy that is substituting for Mike Emrick, he is adding more boring to the Ottawa style of play.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's still going to be a part of the team, unfortunately, probably pop up like Jay's Telecast and stuff like that.

My question is... when does this take effect?

They wouldn't name it to have it happen in like 2019. He's a solid guy though, good voice, smart, infinitely better than Steigy. Not sure what happens to Bob Errey now though, I feel like you need a new team altogether in this scenario.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Errey is a good color commentator. A bit loopy but very passionate and with a great eye for the game (that really stuck out when he was paired with Steigerwald, who constantly misidentified players and mischaracterized on-ice action before having to be corrected by Errey). I look forward to the pairing of him and Mears next season. Really excited for the change.

As for Steigy, his flaws have been discussed to death at this point, but he's undeniably a significant part of Penguins history as both an employee of the team and of ROOT. I'll always associate his voice with the era during which i became a fan of the team, and I really am glad he's transitioning into a role that better suits his enthusiasm and talents.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I say this every year, but I would pay extra for the staff to surreptitiously dose Errey before random games. I have a hunch that Errey could be the Dock Ellis of broadcasting.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Steigy annoyed me but at the same time he obviously loves the team so I'm happy to see him still with them. Just in a different capacity.

Personally I really get a kick out of Errey. He can be (unintentionally) funny but he's fine as long as he's balanced out by someone else. Obviously not Steigy.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
I've listened to a few games Mears has called, and he just seems too generic for me, personally. Not all that much different or better than Steigy. I'd love to see some character and personality on the broadcast.. but that doesn't seem like the style any more.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've listened to a few games Mears has called, and he just seems too generic for me, personally. Not all that much different or better than Steigy. I'd love to see some character and personality on the broadcast.. but that doesn't seem like the style any more.

was it recent or a while ago? I think he's gotten better from what I've heard.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA

I'd love to get someone like Joe Beninati who has a little gravelly fire in his voice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad