News Article: Ding Dong, Steigy's Dead (No, not literally -- Steve Mears is replacing him)

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

----
long-time penguins play-by-play broadcaster paul steigerwald will transition to the penguins front office in a new role with the communications and marketing departments, the team announced. Steigerwald will work with the penguins' in-house media operation, making regular appearances on penstv and pre- and post-game radio shows and representing the team at various community and charitable functions.

Last edited:

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
WOW. This is enormous. What are they doing with Steiggy? I imagine the Pens will hire him in some capacity.

Edit: nm, answered my own question

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not gonna rag on a guy that just lost their job so I'll just say that I like Mears and look forward to listening to him.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Ql8kg.gif

Retrocity

The Ninja
Sep 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
Awesome to hear.

It said in the release that Steigerwald will move back to a front office, marketing and communications role with the Pens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Thank Christ!

The name Steve Mears sounds familiar to me.. Where is he coming from?

NHL Network. He's a local guy and never hid his love for the Pens. Used to call Isles games for their radio affiliate as well as some tournaments.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
WOW. This is enormous. What are they doing with Steiggy? I imagine the Pens will hire him in some capacity.

Edit: nm, answered my own question

As long as its nowhere near hockey ops I'm fine with that. Steiggy is a smart and personable guy no matter what you want to say about him. Him doing marketing is a fine role.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
NHL Network. He's a local guy and never hid his love for the Pens. Used to call Isles games for their radio affiliate as well as some tournaments.

More importantly he's a pretty level headed guy who I do not anticipate being a raging and obnoxious homer. He'll be far more tolerable to listen to than Steiggy.

I wonder though - has he ever done PBP before? I can't recall hearing him do it unless he's done some international games before.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
About time. At work we were just discussing how we were thankful that last night's game was an NBC game, so that we didn't have to get the game winning goal ruined by hearing 'Phil the Thrill fired the pill up the hill!'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad