News Article: Ding Dong, Steigy's Dead (No, not literally -- Steve Mears is replacing him)

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I've listened to a few games Mears has called, and he just seems too generic for me, personally. Not all that much different or better than Steigy. I'd love to see some character and personality on the broadcast.. but that doesn't seem like the style any more.

His name is Bob Errey.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I was very excited for this news. There's a bit of "careful what you wish for", just because Mears seems kind of bland and sometimes I feel like 10% of my enjoyment comes from complaining about Steigy, but overall it's great. Steigy probably got a promotion, which he doesn't deserve, but whatevs.

I would've loved for Errey to be gone as well but I know many disagree with me. Plus I still maintain he is a good analyst when he isn't with Steigy (plus they've both been more "fair" this year), so maybe Mears will draw that out of him. Again I realize a lot of people like his kookiness.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I will settle for a more generic PBP as long as he actually calls the game with accuracy. Steiggy rambled on and said the wrong player.

Now the real question is whether it's 'Mearsy' or 'Stevie'

Apr 9, 2009
USA
If I don't like Mears, I'll just go back to watching the other teams' feed again. Except for when they play Columbus and Boston. Those two teams are unbearable to watch on TV. The bias is staggering.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If I don't like Mears, I'll just go back to watching the other teams' feed again. Except for when they play Columbus and Boston. Those two teams are unbearable to watch on TV. The bias is staggering.

Columbus PBP guy is super biased and sucks, but I like Jody Shelley. He's definitely biased, but I think he's pretty solid otherwise.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Columbus PBP guy is super biased and sucks, but I like Jody Shelley. He's definitely biased, but I think he's pretty solid otherwise.

Yes. Shelley is fine. The entire broadcast that CBJ runs during Pens games is so anti-Pens though. I've seen them use Dubinsky's cross checks to Crosby's head in highlight packages a couple times, for example.

I actually like their PBP guy when he's just doing radio spots and appearances. But when the game is on or almost on..... it's about as biased of commenting as I've seen. I listen to them a lot since I'm local and can't pick the other team on NHL.TV.

I do find it funny that NBC Sports used the CBJ PBP guy in their playoff commercial, they have audio of Rimer saying something positive about the Penguins and that they advanced. :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes. Shelley is fine. The entire broadcast that CBJ runs during Pens games is so anti-Pens though. I've seen them use Dubinsky's cross checks to Crosby's head in highlight packages a couple times, for example.

I actually like their PBP guy when he's just doing radio spots and appearances. But when the game is on or almost on..... it's about as biased of commenting as I've seen. I listen to them a lot since I'm local and can't pick the other team on NHL.TV.

I do find it funny that NBC Sports used the CBJ PBP guy in their playoff commercial, they have audio of Rimer saying something positive about the Penguins and that they advanced. :laugh:

Oh yeah their whole broadcast is funny to me because they WAY overplay the rivalry. I've also never heard a team talk about the crowd more than them. "LISTEN TO THIS CROWD Jody, PROPELLING THEM TO VICTORY!!!"

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I was very excited for this news. There's a bit of "careful what you wish for", just because Mears seems kind of bland and sometimes I feel like 10% of my enjoyment comes from complaining about Steigy, but overall it's great. Steigy probably got a promotion, which he doesn't deserve, but whatevs.

I would've loved for Errey to be gone as well but I know many disagree with me. Plus I still maintain he is a good analyst when he isn't with Steigy (plus they've both been more "fair" this year), so maybe Mears will draw that out of him. Again I realize a lot of people like his kookiness.

when you put it that way, it certainly rings true, mears does seem non-descriptive and bland,

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Don't love Mears. Reeaaalllyyyy don't like Steigy. I guess I'll just keep telling myself we were never getting Thorne anyway

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I'd love to get someone like Joe Beninati who has a little gravelly fire in his voice.

He is supremely annoying. Not so bad on the PBP (their color guy is annoying as hell) good cadence and rhythm to his calls, but he absolutely screams "SCOREEESSS" point blank into the mic,such that there is audio interference most of the time. By all means, have enthusiasm, have a signature move, just dont make your "thing" something that is annoying as all hell. His insane calls + the caps goal "siren" is just makes watching their home games a cringeworthy experience, IMO.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Can Mears scream "POWER MOVE!!!" whenever some skates towards the net?

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
He is supremely annoying. Not so bad on the PBP (their color guy is annoying as hell) good cadence and rhythm to his calls, but he absolutely screams "SCOREEESSS" point blank into the mic,such that there is audio interference most of the time. By all means, have enthusiasm, have a signature move, just dont make your "thing" something that is annoying as all hell. His insane calls + the caps goal "siren" is just makes watching their home games a cringeworthy experience, IMO.

Beninati is ok on national broadcasts. Laughlin's voice makes me wish I was deaf.

At least Mears will probably do actual PBP. Steigerwald just didn't bother at least 90% of the time and instead discussed everything from the overall greatness of the Pens to what he had for dinner that day.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
At least we didnt get Crechilio and Sam Kasan like we did for the roookie tournament or preseason games. The vitriol for those two was actually impressive

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
It's almost as if Root Sports finally figured out what most of us have known from the beginning. Steigerwald sucks at play-by-play. Good riddance!

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
At least we didnt get Crechilio and Sam Kasan like we did for the roookie tournament or preseason games. The vitriol for those two was actually impressive

Neither of them should even have jobs in the industry. In fairness I think they are just low paid hacks that write fluff for the Penguin website, i.e. they come cheap and are willing to take on additional duties "for the opportunity".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad