News Article: Ding Dong, Steigy's Dead (No, not literally -- Steve Mears is replacing him)

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
rqGxQzk.gif

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I remember steigy as a color guy and he was fine there. I grew up with him on the radio..... I don't know what happened with Lange but moving steigy to play by play was absurd and he sucked at it. He was a color guy doing play by play, often losing himself in a long story and missing much of the game... he was a pens guy for at least 30 years now and it showed.. way too much of a homer... his personal defense of guys got irrational near the end... everyone always said he was dead set on the pens play by play and thats a shame cause it likely cost is all a decade of lange on TV

Same here and he was pretty good at it I thought.

All the best to him in the front office and welcome back Mears.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
All I gotta say is WOOOOOOOO!!!!

Congrats, Mears. And all joking aside, I'm glad for steigy too. He is a huge part of the pens family.

Oddfello

Jimmy Montrose
Mar 15, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm in the vast minority here I know, but I'm gonna miss Steigy. There are few things I love more than hilariously bad commentary and I think we can all agree him and Bob had a special chemistry in that regard.

I had no problem with him calling the action, but there have been plenty of times I have had to cringe when he just overreacts. There have been marginal hits, at worse that were called as if he was at ground zero for the Hindenburg landing. Oh the humanity... Good luck Steigy, I'm glad you are staying in the family, but equally glad that someone else is getting a shot.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Keep away from Hobey Baker jokes and he will already be ahead of the game.

The hobey baker joke was the best thing steiggy ever did. The guy died like 80 years ago.... it was actually a witty joke.

Other than that he was terrible. I'm pretty sure he was doing inappropriate things to himself when murray got hurt and he was talking about fleury.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's fantastic that Steigy's not going to be calling games anymore. Dude's been an embarrassment to the franchise for years.

Wondering what his role with the "front office" is now... Can't wait to see the uptick in Kunitz-related PR garbage when he re-signs this summer.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Never thought this day would come. A little scared to know what he'll be doing in the front office though, hopefully it's nothing significant.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The hobey baker joke was the best thing steiggy ever did. The guy died like 80 years ago.... it was actually a witty joke.

Other than that he was terrible. I'm pretty sure he was doing inappropriate things to himself when murray got hurt and he was talking about fleury.

That is probably one of my fondest memories of him. I still laugh when I think about it. :laugh:

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Glad he stuck with the team. Didn't realize how long he's been with the franchise so it's a classy move on their part. It's about time though, he was a train wreck on the air, didn't like him at all.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Pretty sure marketing was where Steigerwald got his start with the Penguins. Heard he was very good at it as well.

Like a lot of posters have already mentioned, he was an excellent color man. Himself and Lange were second to none back in the day.

He let his adoration for the Pens cloud his judgement with PbP though and honestly just was not very good at that aspect of the broadcast booth. These past few yrs he's called out more blatant mistakes on the air than I can remember. Wrong player, wrong call on the ice and it was becoming more and more obvious.

I'm not going to feel bad for him, he is still with the organization. Thats still a pretty good deal.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I feel like Errey has the potential to be a good color guy. His knowledge is good and he's not always a huge homer. IMO Steiggy brought Errey down to his awful level all too often.

So I'm interested to see the dynamic between Mears/Errey. I suspect we'll see a much more dignified and impartial Errey now that he doesn't have Mr. Homer calling every game.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
In all seriousness I hope this is for the right reasons (looking to move on to a better suited PxP talent)... and not anything health related.

Last season I watched only about a half dozen local broadcasts - games like Buffalo and Tampa because I wasn't a fan of his... but I'd never wish any ill-will towards anyone on my side of the fence/battle. The dude lives and breathes Pens hockey no questions asked.

This is something I thought of as well. I remember he was on Savran's radio show last year...can't remember if it was during the playoffs or just after the cup win...but he was telling Stan that he needed to have some type of surgery in the off-season, I believe something with the heart, that he seemed pretty concerned about. Maybe the grind of another season made him decide to hang them up.

--ok, just heard that it isn't a health issue, he was just let go.

Last edited:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hopefully Errey will get back in line a bit with Mears instead of the Bylsma cheerleader.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Errey needs to stay put, I like him. I cannot fathom life without pickle stabbings.

He is a character, no doubt. A little too goofy sometimes perhaps, but he does have a good eye, and adds good insight, imo.

Will be interesting to see how he works with Mears.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad