Did you cry

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I actually couldn't even bear to watch the handshake. Turned the tv off right after the OT goal. In fact I can't even recall who scored it for Boston, was it Marchand or Bergeron?

Probably Bergeron typical Leaf killer

Same. I turned it off immediately as soon as the goal went in. I couldn't bear to watch the Bruins celebrating.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I didn't cry, but that doesn't mean I wasn't absolutely devastated. I just usually don't cry, that's all. But inside, I felt an emptiness that I haven't felt in a very long time.

What a painful loss. I'm still shocked. ****, I hate my friends, who are fans of other teams (incl. some Bruins fans), who will continue to remind me of this disaster for days, weeks, months, and even years to come.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The pain of the loss was somewhat mitigated by my girlfriend saying and doing all the right things. Col. Hadfield's return was pretty awesome, too.

A little disappointing because I was hoping if they made round 2 they'd bring Hadfield out for a puck drop or better yet, let the guy do the anthem!

Count Von Grabo*

I don't react too negatively towards sports losses anymore.

Just been kicked too many times.

Am proud of my Leafs, and will be a fan until the day I die.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I was so angry I punched my wall. knuckles kinda swollen now. I was infuriated. Woke up this morning somehow even more pissed than last night. Then my girlfriend dumped me earlier today. **** everything.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ummm......no.

I mean, I get it if you're a kid, but if you are over 12 and cry about a pro sports team then you need some serious perspective on life.

Mr Scarface*

I've never cried over losses. But I've cried over some great wins.

Go Sundin, Belfour, Tucker, Roberts, Clark, Gilmour, Domi, Steve Thomas etc.

lewis94

May 6, 2009
We lost to the better team. Our team is still developing. Most didn't expect us to go this far. On the other hand, the way '93 went was a damn joke. :rant:

What a load of crap.

WE WERE THE BETTER TEAM. After that nightmarish first game, we outplayed them almost every game after that. And we let them off the hook.

Mr Scarface*

What a load of crap.

WE WERE THE BETTER TEAM. After that nightmarish first game, we outplayed them almost every game after that. And we let them off the hook.
I agree that we were the BETTER team.
We outplayed boston and we had more ENERGY. Gardiner and many of our players were even toying with bruins when we had the puck.

Chara, Lucic etc were tired. they played so many minutes.

Sometimes the better team loses. Pucks just go in and sometimes they don't. This game was so close. The worst team won this time. But I've seen this happen before. It's rare though. Very rare. Especially in 7 game series.
When we talk about 1 game everything is possible. In those games the worst team can win also, more often than in these type of 7 game series.

Man we had a great team. Boston can't win the cup this year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Ummm......no.

I mean, I get it if you're a kid, but if you are over 12 and cry about a pro sports team then you need some serious perspective on life.

turning 30 in about 8 weeks.
I don't cry during movies, books, and really sad sad events in the news.

I do cry during sporting events. (I am a blubbering idiot during the Olympics).

My team who consistently loves to put me through an emotional rollercoaster did a huge number on my emotions last night. I am invested in this team 100 percent, and so yeah, it was a crying moment to be sure.

I don't know why you need perspective that something that was right there, was snatched away, regardless if it was a pro sporting event or not.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
What a load of crap.

Not so sure about that. We lost quite heavily in faceoffs and allowed them to dominate us on the forecheck. I wasn't surprised that the Bruins ended up catching up, because it was quite difficult to contain them even when we won.

Oh well, there's next season.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Not so sure about that. We lost quite heavily in faceoffs and allowed them to dominate us on the forecheck. I wasn't surprised that the Bruins ended up catching up, because it was quite difficult to contain them even when we won.

Oh well, there's next season.

In terms of lead times, the Leafs dominated:

Score tied: 182:55
Leafs lead: 153:00
Bruins lead: 94:32

In other words, the Bruins lead for only 22% of the series.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
In terms of lead times, the Leafs dominated:

Score tied: 182:55
Leafs lead: 153:00
Bruins lead: 94:32

In other words, the Bruins lead for only 22% of the series.
Hockey is a lot more than lead times. Momentum changes regularly and it was clear on the ice that Bruins were forechecking quite hard. If they got the lucky bounces, the game could've been closer even before the third period.

They have a solid team. Let's at least admit that.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Hockey is a lot more than lead times. Momentum changes regularly and it was clear on the ice that Bruins were forechecking quite hard. If they got the lucky bounces, the game could've been closer even before the third period.

They have a solid team. Let's at least admit that.

Didn't say they don't have a solid team.

And I know hockey is more than lead times. Don't patronize me. Hockey is also more than just faceoffs and forechecking, as well. And those two things most certainly don't show all-encompassingly who outplayed who.

It took them three elimination games, two overtime games, and an incredible collapse to beat us. We skated with them, measured up physically, beat them twice in their own arena, and overcame our recent history of futility against them.

For a team that was supposed to beat us handily in 5 games, it sure took them a lot of effort.

leafstilldeath*

Nope. Heart gotten stronger over the years. Being a Leafs fan keeps one's ego in check and humble.

so yea... no tears for me...only anger and disappointment. but a little less today...

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Didn't say they don't have a solid team.

And I know hockey is more than lead times. Don't patronize me. Hockey is also more than just faceoffs and forechecking, as well. And those two things most certainly don't show all-encompassingly who outplayed who.

It took them three elimination games, two overtime games, and an incredible collapse to beat us. We skated with them, measured up physically, beat them twice in their own arena, and overcame our recent history of futility against them.

For a team that was supposed to beat us handily in 5 games, it sure took them a lot of effort.

The Bruins are a better team than we are, but we played better than them for most of the series.

Game 1 - Even first period, absolute Bruins domination in the last two. Winner: Bruins.
Game 2 - Fairly even game, but the Leafs overall played better and the scoreboard reflected their effots. Winner: Leafs.
Game 3 - Leafs domination for the most part. There were spurts of solid play from the Bruins but the Leafs generated far more scoring chances (which they were not rewarded for) and the Bruins were opportunistic, capitalizing on every chance they got. Winner: Leafs.
Game 4 - After the Bruins controlled the play throughout the first, the Leafs played better in the second, but oddly enough, we lead 2-0 after the first, the Bruins scoring 3 unanswered in the second, before MacArthur tied the score at 3 less than a minute later. Leafs dominated the 3rd and the OT. ****ing goalpost for Frattin. Winner: Leafs.
Game 5 - Leafs were flying in this one and controlled the play for 45 minutes before sagging back and allowing the Bruins to take over the game for the last 15. Not enough time for Boston to overcome the 2 goal deficit. Winner: Leafs.
Game 6 - Much like game 5, the Leafs controlled the play for much of the game but this was even more of a complete effort than game 5. Having not been able to solve Rask after 40 minutes, the Leafs couldn't sag back in the 3rd and kept pushing until they were rewarded, taking a 2-0 lead about midway through the 3rd. There was some pushback by the Bruins in the final few minutes, but overall a solid complete effort for Toronto. Winner: Leafs.
Game 7. Fairly even game for the most part with both teams controlling the play at times. While the Leafs were opportunistic for the first time in the series and managed to build up an impressive 4-1 lead, the defenders did a good job of keeping the Bruins to the perimeter and clearing the front of the net. The Leafs had the big lead despite a pretty much evenly played game. This all changed in the last 10 minutes, when the Leafs stopped skating. We all know what happened next. Bruins carried the play for the rest of the 3rd, tying the game, the incredible momentum shift carrying over to the OT where they quickly dispatched us 5-4 in the extra frame. Colossal, catastrophic, cataclysmic collapse. Gotta give kudos to the Bruins for never giving up, although this was more us giving them the game than them taking it. Winner: Bruins.

The Leafs probably deserved a better fate (especially with regards to the 3-1 series deficit), but that's hockey for you. The truly great teams find ways to win even when they don't play their best. The Bruins are one such team. Brad Marchand himself said before game 5 that the Leafs controlled the play for much of the series (after game 1) and that they were fortunate to be up 3-1 at that point. With the Leafs clearly being the better team in games 5 and 6, I don't think it can be argued that overall, the Leafs were the better team in the series. Hopefully that's the mentality that our players take out of this experience, rather than the epic collapse. The know now that they can compete with the best teams on any given night.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
The Bruins are a better team than we are, but we played better than them for most of the series.

Game 1 - Even first period, absolute Bruins domination in the last two. Winner: Bruins.
Game 2 - Fairly even game, but the Leafs overall played better and the scoreboard reflected their effots. Winner: Leafs.
Game 3 - Leafs domination for the most part. There were spurts of solid play from the Bruins but the Leafs generated far more scoring chances (which they were not rewarded for) and the Bruins were opportunistic, capitalizing on every chance they got. Winner: Leafs.
Game 4 - After the Bruins controlled the play throughout the first, the Leafs played better in the second, but oddly enough, we lead 2-0 after the first, the Bruins scoring 3 unanswered in the second, before MacArthur tied the score at 3 less than a minute later. Leafs dominated the 3rd and the OT. ****ing goalpost for Frattin. Winner: Leafs.
Game 5 - Leafs were flying in this one and controlled the play for 45 minutes before sagging back and allowing the Bruins to take over the game for the last 15. Not enough time for Boston to overcome the 2 goal deficit. Winner: Leafs.
Game 6 - Much like game 5, the Leafs controlled the play for much of the game but this was even more of a complete effort than game 5. Having not been able to solve Rask after 40 minutes, the Leafs couldn't sag back in the 3rd and kept pushing until they were rewarded, taking a 2-0 lead about midway through the 3rd. There was some pushback by the Bruins in the final few minutes, but overall a solid complete effort for Toronto. Winner: Leafs.
Game 7. Fairly even game for the most part with both teams controlling the play at times. While the Leafs were opportunistic for the first time in the series and managed to build up an impressive 4-1 lead, the defenders did a good job of keeping the Bruins to the perimeter and clearing the front of the net. The Leafs had the big lead despite a pretty much evenly played game. This all changed in the last 10 minutes, when the Leafs stopped skating. We all know what happened next. Bruins carried the play for the rest of the 3rd, tying the game, the incredible momentum shift carrying over to the OT where they quickly dispatched us 5-4 in the extra frame. Colossal, catastrophic, cataclysmic collapse. Gotta give kudos to the Bruins for never giving up, although this was more us giving them the game than them taking it. Winner: Bruins.

The Leafs probably deserved a better fate (especially with regards to the 3-1 series deficit), but that's hockey for you. The truly great teams find ways to win even when they don't play their best. The Bruins are one such team. Brad Marchand himself said before game 5 that the Leafs controlled the play for much of the series (after game 1) and that they were fortunate to be up 3-1 at that point. With the Leafs clearly being the better team in games 5 and 6, I don't think it can be argued that overall, the Leafs were the better team in the series. Hopefully that's the mentality that our players take out of this experience, rather than the epic collapse. The know now that they can compete with the best teams on any given night.

Quite the analysis. You should get promoted or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad