Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Haha could you imagine next year:

Petry - J.Schultz
Ference - Marincin
Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom

Unreal to think that might be the D core next year, with TWO kids under 20 playing regular minutes on the core (in spite of the stuff coming out of the Buffalo media, I still can't see the Sabres picking another D when they really need help in their top 6 the most -- they have plenty of great kids coming along from their draft and dev pool on the back end).

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Petry - J.Schultz
Ference - Marincin
Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom

absolutely brutal D core

if they're smart they give Nurse a 9-game taste and send him back to play in the WJC

and they let Klefbom play another quarter to half a season in the minors

if they get Ekblad, I'd be tempted to put him back in jrs. too

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
absolutely brutal D core

if they're smart they give Nurse a 9-game taste and send him back to play in the WJC

and they let Klefbom play another quarter to half a season in the minors

if they get Ekblad, I'd be tempted to put him back in jrs. too

That's terrible logic. You don't commit to something before camp. You obviously can't keep all of Ekblad/Nurse/Klefa/Marincin on the roster, but you give them a chance to earn a place, and show where their development is at.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Petry - J.Schultz
Ference - Marincin
Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom

I can't see that many rookies starting next season. Marincin will make it. If we draft Ekblad, one of him or Nurse will make it with the other being sent back to Junior. Klefbom will go back to the AHL and be one of the main call ups.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's been great. Just worried about how his game will evolve under Smith's tutelage.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I think he's starting to pass some defensemen on the depth chart. It's only 10 games, but he's looking better and better.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
I can't see that many rookies starting next season. Marincin will make it. If we draft Ekblad, one of him or Nurse will make it with the other being sent back to Junior. Klefbom will go back to the AHL and be one of the main call ups.
Theoretically (barring an outstanding camps + 9 game stint by one of them) I'd send them both back. Keep them as far away from this mess as possible.

On topic, really impressed with Marincin so far. Poised and simple game for a 21 year old.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
If IF we draft Ekblad I hope the oil do the right thing and send him and Nurse back to junior. You see I love to suffer.
On another note Marincin seems to get it. Is this a mirage? Typical young d man coming in gangbusters for a couple weeks only to fade into oblivion?

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
In the case with drafting Ekblad, I think they might lean towards playing Ekblad because they would gawk over his size (6'4 217) vs Nurse who still has some filling out to do. In no case should both be up, I would prefer only one of Marincin and Nurse be up here next year, and same goes if they draft Ekblad.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Gilbert and Petry looked like future stars when they first came up as well......lowered expectations....a lot of dmen look very good with 12-15 mins but cracks start to show when they have to play more

:clap:

I would only add that I think those kind of "slumps" due to tougher opposition and/or more ice time are very useful for both player and organization as to understand how to move forward with the player's development (and also to see how he responds when things get difficult) and for this reason I don't really see the need to lower expectations because of it.

edit: This obviously depends on your expectations though... I think his peak could be as a #2 d-man or an excellent anchor on the 2nd pair, i.e. #3. Furthermore I think that he will at the very least become a very useful bottom pair defenseman (which is also quite good).

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
FWIW Gilbert has looked more than solid for Florida this year.

gilbert was great for us when he played with a real d partner, he was never meant to play top line minutes as the strong point of the tandem,

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
gilbert was great for us when he played with a real d partner, he was never meant to play top line minutes as the strong point of the tandem,

You know whose else is like that? Petry. A guy who makes his partner look good but takes a lot of heat for some reason

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What really impressed me is hearing he was told to forget about the high risk offensive plays and just play defense. +3 in 10 games on this crack shot defense is impressive.

Not sure what to exactly make of the kid at this point, but in 10 games he's been calm and has listened to instructions and he's only 21.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We are constantly misusing our players and slotting them into roles where they are above their heads at a young age.

Gags as a 1C. Cogliano as a top-6 player.

Gilbert/Petry/Smid were all misused as top-pairing defensemen. At an early age. With zero tutelage.

BTW Cogs is on pace for 27-28 goals and 50pts this year. In a 3rd pairing role....

Not exactly shocking the guy was around that 20 goal mark here a few times. Not sure that he'd be any sort of answer here anyways though

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Marincin looks like our best defenseman out there..

How scary is that..?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Theoretically (barring an outstanding camps + 9 game stint by one of them) I'd send them both back. Keep them as far away from this mess as possible.

On topic, really impressed with Marincin so far. Poised and simple game for a 21 year old.

I agree with this. Marincin is obviously ready, so keep him up, let our other good prospects marinate in junior, and not rush them, while making some moves for some UFA d-men to fill the gaps (and give our other young d-men experienced players they actually need to earn a spot from).

J. Schultz - Ference
???? - Petry
???? - Marincin
Fedun

The question marks to be filled by responsible veterans, not rookies. Matt Greene, Willie Mitchell, Sami Salo, Stephane Robidas, Derek Morris, Matt Niskanen, Dan Girardi are all guys who could fill those holes (or one on the top pair in Girardi's case).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's terrible logic. You don't commit to something before camp. You obviously can't keep all of Ekblad/Nurse/Klefa/Marincin on the roster, but you give them a chance to earn a place, and show where their development is at.

You don't give them all a chance to earn a spot.

1 sure. 2 if you are desperate. Beyond that you are looking at another worst team in the west situation.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You don't give them all a chance to earn a spot.

1 sure. 2 if you are desperate. Beyond that you are looking at another worst team in the west situation.

It might just be semantics, but I think you do give them all a chance to earn a spot, but it is sure going to be each other who they are competing with for that spot. We can`t have too many rookies, but we have to let them know that they do all have a chance of earning a spot.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It might just be semantics, but I think you do give them all a chance to earn a spot, but it is sure going to be each other who they are competing with for that spot. We can`t have too many rookies, but we have to let them know that they do all have a chance of earning a spot.

Thats fair absolutely. Take the best one. My point was that you can't bank on anymore than that. You need enough legitimate NHL defensemen to fill out a roster. You can't bank on one of these guys actually being good enough to be a full timer.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Gilbert and Petry looked like future stars when they first came up as well......lowered expectations....a lot of dmen look very good with 12-15 mins but cracks start to show when they have to play more

Marincin last night played 22:44 mins and ended the night +2 in a 5-3 loss..

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Fedun had an impressive showing as well during his first stint. If nothing else the org needs wake up and realize proper AHL development can pay dividends and stop rushing players unnecessarily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad