Prospect Info: Did we find a gem in Martin Marincin?

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Wish they'd pair him and JSchultz together on the bottom pairing for development purposes and just use JSchultz on the PP when necessary. I feel they are sorta rushing Schultz down a beaten path of trying to develop too fast. Give JSchultz lower minutes like Marincin with supplement on PP.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Somebody said send him to Roberts. Send them all to Roberts FFS

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Somebody said send him to Roberts. Send them all to Roberts FFS

we should just hire gary roberts to be on our staff.......only problem is he isnt steamroom buds with kevin lowe

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Dont think top 4 or even a #3 guy upside is too unattainable for this kid.

He has looked solid is his NHL games and has played like a legit top 4 D. Now he will have to do it consistently.

I do believe that he will hit a rough patch tho, as all rookie D do. Going back to the AHL when this happens will be best for development. But I think he has a shot at making the NHL full time next year, depending on the play of Klefbom, Nurse and others at TC

Good 2nd round pick and good development thus far

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Gilbert and Petry looked like future stars when they first came up as well......lowered expectations....a lot of dmen look very good with 12-15 mins but cracks start to show when they have to play more

Lawson624

Nov 25, 2012
He and petry seem to have solid chemistry, he also plays like petry but just a little more defensively orientated. I don't know if you guys like advanced stats but him and petry have been putting up solid numbers there.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Dont think top 4 or even a #3 guy upside is too unattainable for this kid.

He has looked solid is his NHL games and has played like a legit top 4 D. Now he will have to do it consistently.

I do believe that he will hit a rough patch tho, as all rookie D do. Going back to the AHL when this happens will be best for development. But I think he has a shot at making the NHL full time next year, depending on the play of Klefbom, Nurse and others at TC

Good 2nd round pick and good development thus far

The Olympics, even on a huge underdog, are going to be a huge developmental boost for this kid. I had no doubt in my mind he would make the OC team, especially after the WC buzz and he deserves it. Even with this small sample, and his inevitable rise after the Olympics, if he can maintain the level of play he's at right now, we have at the very least, a #5 guy.

That's not too shabby.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He and petry seem to have solid chemistry, he also plays like petry but just a little more defensively orientated. I don't know if you guys like advanced stats but him and petry have been putting up solid numbers there.

Likely because he is the most well rounded partner Petry's had this season. Smid, Schultz, and Ference bring zero ability to move the puck, and a guy like Belov isn't really fashioned to be on a shutdown pairing.

Put Petty with a true #1 and it'll be a functional top pairing, or have him with a guy like Smid, and it can be a good shutdown pairing. Ask him to be a #1 and carry a #4 (or worse) against top competition and he starts to mentally break down.

This team really needs a leader to its defence, this isn't like years past were I hate players on the defence, and how they weren't NHL calibre. There's no Foster or Studwick this year, its just that now everyone's being asked to play over their heads, and beyond their ability.

I'd love to see this team land Boyle in the off season. He bridges the gap between now and the defence of Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, (possibly) Ekblad, and Schultz nicely, and like Ference, he can step into that mentor roll.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Likely because he is the most well rounded partner Petry's had this season. Smid, Schultz, and Ference bring zero ability to move the puck, and a guy like Belov isn't really fashioned to be on a shutdown pairing.

Put Petty with a true #1 and it'll be a functional top pairing, or have him with a guy like Smid, and it can be a good shutdown pairing. Ask him to be a #1 and carry a #4 (or worse) against top competition and he starts to mentally break down.

This team really needs a leader to its defence, this isn't like years past were I hate players on the defence, and how they weren't NHL calibre. There's no Foster or Studwick this year, its just that now everyone's being asked to play over their heads, and beyond their ability.

I'd love to see this team land Boyle in the off season. He bridges the gap between now and the defence of Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, (possibly) Ekblad, and Schultz nicely, and like Ference, he can step into that mentor roll.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with defence in the off-season.
Ference is the only one on contract, but Petry, J.Schultz and, likely Belov will probably be re-signed. N.Schultz, Potter, Grebeshkov will be let loose. So I'd imagine they will try to add a veteran d-man or two to the mix. Then Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom will battle it out for the final 1 or 2 roster spots.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
It's going to be interesting to see what happens with defence in the off-season.
Ference is the only one on contract, but Petry, J.Schultz and, likely Belov will probably be re-signed. N.Schultz, Potter, Grebeshkov will be let loose. So I'd imagine they will try to add a veteran d-man or two to the mix. Then Nurse, Marincin, Klefbom will battle it out for the final 1 or 2 roster spots.

Hopefully, the veteran is of #1/#2 quality or something. And there's two of them.
#1-#2
Ference-J.Schultz
Petry-Belov
Marincin

Would be best, but that's not going to happen.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Hopefully, the veteran is of #1/#2 quality or something. And there's two of them.
#1-#2
Ference-J.Schultz
Petry-Belov
Marincin

Would be best, but that's not going to happen.

Real No.1-2 d-men are rarely traded these days.Who was the last one? Pronger to Philly? Campbell to FLA?
There are quite a few d-men who are pending UFA right now. Assuming they do make it to free agency, i'd be interested in Markov, Boyle, Girardi, Matt Greene, maybe Morris and Robidas. Are Willie Mitchell and Chris Phillips done as top 4 guys?

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Gilbert and Petry looked like future stars when they first came up as well......lowered expectations....a lot of dmen look very good with 12-15 mins but cracks start to show when they have to play more

That's not an indictment of the players though, that's a statement about how much the management has failed to get players who can actually play the big minute roles and how other players are forced to play above their level because they got no one else. Petry would be looked at entirely differently as a player if he wasn't forced into a situation where he had to be the best defensemen on the team. If he was playing 2nd pairing minutes everyone would be talking about this quality young blue liner the Oilers have.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia

This is what I see happening. I know the season is lost, but it looks like the team has played better the last 2 weeks, especially the defence. I do get very frustrated when they call up Potter and leave Fedun at OKC. In the next few years, all our dman will be over 6 feet tall except Ference. I do see a spot for Belov on this team.

Ference, JSchultz, Petry, Belov, Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat, and Fedun will be the defence to build around. Hopefully, there will be a 1st pairing Damn signed in off-season.

With the forward situation, it is time for Sam Gagner to move on. I will drive from Nova Scotia and help him pack. He should have been moved the next day after the 8 pt game. Hemsky, Smyth, and Jones will not be here next year so it is time for some injection of new blood in the bottom 6. Maybe Pitlick? Curtis Hamilton? Hartikainen?

Also, in 2 years, we could possibly have an all Russian line off Yakupov, Yakimov, and Slephshev. This opens the door to trade something like Eberle for maybe Simmonds and another players

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The first round picks are eexpected to play but all bets are off after that. If you find one player per draft after the first round, you are a very good drafting team.

Between 2006 and 2010, our post 1st round drafting has been exceptional.

2006 - petry 2nd , peckham 3rd
2007 - traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks
2008 - traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks, Hartikanen in the 6th
2009 - lander in 2nd
2010 - pitlik, marincin, + Hamilton in 2nd

over a period of 5 years, we had 5 second round picks and 4 look like they will have a career. That is off the scales good. I am not certain if any other nhl team can say that.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The first round picks are eexpected to play but all bets are off after that. If you find one player per draft after the first round, you are a very good drafting team.

Between 2006 and 2010, our post 1st round drafting has been exceptional.

2006 - petry 2nd , peckham 3rd
2007 - traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks
2008 - traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks, Hartikanen in the 6th
2009 - lander in 2nd
2010 - pitlik, marincin, + Hamilton in 2nd

over a period of 5 years, we had 5 second round picks and 4 look like they will have a career. That is off the scales good. I am not certain if any other nhl team can say that.
Have you seen what teams like the Sens, Ducks, and Blues have been pulling off?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Petry has been playing 20-22 minutes vs. top competition since he stepped into the league though.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think we all knew he was one of our better prospects but didn't think he'd be this good already. Next years training camp should be interesting with Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin pushing for spots. I don't think we can afford to have such a young defense but they might give us no choice.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I think we all knew he was one of our better prospects but didn't think he'd be this good already. Next years training camp should be interesting with Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin pushing for spots. I don't think we can afford to have such a young defense but they might give us no choice.

That's what I'm concerned about. Throwing more young rookies to the wolves. This team needs better D so desperately. I'll be calling Florida for a guy like Campbell or Buffalo for Ehrhoff. No way in hell do I want another year with a defence that lacks a 1-2 top d man, and plenty of 5-6's.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
The poor kid is being force fed his minutes because of how awful our D is -- and he is showing more intelligence and saavy than clownshows like NSchultz. On a good team, he'd likely still be in the farm system honing his game. Here, he's top 4. Good stick, and while he doesn't have any physical component to his game at all, he at least boxes his guys out and intelligently plays his stick in the lanes. Wish he'd shoot more, as we've heard he has a decent one but he's been a lone bright spot on a truly terrible D core.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
We are slim pickings on left shot dmen, the Russian lefties are righties by experience unfortunately. Hardly any in UFA as well.

Sloth Slothersons*

Haha could you imagine next year:

Petry - J.Schultz
Ference - Marincin
Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad