Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

• Yes they did

• Absolutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
And then Barrie butchered a simple 2 on 1...

Lots of mistakes to go around on most goals.

Turnover was ultimately on Tavares... and the opposing center (PLD) scored.

Also I made a mistake he didn't even get a chance to do a standing still deke, he was stripped outright. Read like a playbook.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Kadri became a liability that potentially cost the team to advance twice in the playoffs

so yes

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If Kadri cost us twice in the playoffs by getting suspended, then he must have been an integral piece to begin with, no?
Sure but it doesn't hide the fact he cost the team. He was an important part of the team, but he hurt the team.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Didn't know sticking up for a veteran teammate is considered selfish. The refs completely lost the plot that game and that was the result... Kadri seeing red. I still give him props for that regardless of the outcome... something had to be done.
It is a selfish move. He took out his own rage on the other player and cost us a series twice. Something should be done which hurt his own team? Thats selfish. There were better ways for Kadri to act instead of suspending himself.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's whatever. Let them vent.

It's one of the reasons I like to follow the Marlies and the Draft. You need to care a lot more than a casual fan to be that committed, so you do not get swarmed with people who know nothing... If there is the odd guy who knows nothing, it is easy to weed them out. With the Leafs, it is a hive mind.
Thats a good point. Me, you, and and whoever fits this group are what I call fans to the absolute core. We are Leafs fans, but keep track of the entire organization.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
At the time, Dubas apologists were raving about how this trade was such a huge win for us.

I remember trying to stem the hype but got harped on relentlessly.

Its funny when time proves one correct.

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
This trade was laughable when it happened and it is still laughable now. The very same people preaching that Kadri had to go for getting suspended in two consecutive playoffs are the same people defending the heartless players that failed to reach Round 2 in five consecutive playoffs.

Kadri didn't fail the Leafs. The Leafs failed to rally around Kadri.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Obviously not. The offseason of 2019 looking back gets a D. Dubas failed nearly in every transaction during that offseason.

The Marleau deal with it being 13th overall and us doing the deal in the first place to keep KK and AJ who might be dealt for cap purposes this offseason

Barrie and kerfoot both been incredibly disappointing here. Kadri paced for 60 points and having a great playoffs this year.

Zaitsev deal for Ceci. Looks decent looking back but now the selection of brown fairs poorly with him hecoinign a valuable 3rd liner putting around 50 points pace.

Marners contract obviously been discussed enough for consensus that it was a bad deal paid too much for too little term.

In addition we added Tavares, which is a great talent, at the expense of Naz.

Tavares had 2G and 1A in this past playoff round in 5 GP. Naz has 2G , 4A in 5 GP.

In this past season Naz had 19G (0.37 per game). JT had 26G (0.41 per game). JT @ 11,000,000 per and Naz at $4,500,000... What could we have on our defence for the difference between Naz's contract and JT's contract?

Not that I don't like JT, he is a phenomenal talent, great guy from all reports. I don't like $11 mil taking up 2nd line center cap space.

IMO it feels like Dubas is building this team like a fan would build a fantasy pool hockey team.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Turnover was ultimately on Tavares... and the opposing center (PLD) scored.

Also I made a mistake he didn't even get a chance to do a standing still deke, he was stripped outright. Read like a playbook.
you a blaming a guy that turned the puck over in the other teams slot? sounds like a system error then

the is something seriously wrong if a team has to fear a turn over in the other teams slot.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
In addition we added Tavares, which is a great talent, at the expense of Naz.

Tavares had 2G and 1A in this past playoff round in 5 GP. Naz has 2G , 4A in 5 GP.

In this past season Naz had 19G (0.37 per game). JT had 26G (0.41 per game). JT @ 11,000,000 per and Naz at $4,500,000... What could we have on our defence for the difference between Naz's contract and JT's contract?

Not that I don't like JT, he is a phenomenal talent, great guy from all reports. I don't like $11 mil taking up 2nd line center cap space.

IMO it feels like Dubas is building this team like a fan would build a fantasy pool hockey team.
getting JT had nothing to do with why Naz got traded out of town

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The Kadri trade was about as bonehead as you can get. He traded something we already lacked (sand paper and grit) for essentially Kerfoot, who is basically more of the same, a buttercup. I get it because of the Tavares signing Kadri became expendable but I truly believe Tavares is overrrated. People talking about Kadri not winning anything plz let me know what Tavares has won? The Islanders got better with his departure and we've gotten progressively worse. I'd take Kadri and his contract as the 2nd line center over Tavares and his 11 mil. The Tavares contract also set the bar for the Matthews and Marner deals.
islanders got better because of the new coach and GM
Torts is one hell of a coach and he has a GM that will work with his vision of the team

Ladd did not play ball with Torts and sweet Lou ghosted him to the ahl

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
rightttttt and a true cup contending team looked at our moronic opinion on that and traded for him

and is now leading them in points these playoffs

Kadri was an idiot and had to go, you can say we should have gotten a better deal and you'd be right.

Doesn't change the fact he kept getting suspended in the playoffs he HAD to go

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Kadri was an idiot and had to go, you can say we should have gotten a better deal and you'd be right.

Doesn't change the fact he kept getting suspended in the playoffs he HAD to go
no he did not HAVE TO GO!

and time is clearly proving out my position on that

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So much fun revisiting this topic in a week where Kadri's scoring and setting up game winners for the Avalanche!
the timing is apt

we dumped him due to playoff issues and this is his first chance to show our "playoff opinion about him just might have been dead wrong"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So it's OK that he got suspended in the playoffs multiple times? you can't do that
obviously in the opinion of a team that is run much better then ours

it was

yes, it's not a huge deal and their right thinking is proving out, he leads them in PO points and a 2/0 series lead.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
obviously in the opinion of a team that is run much better then ours

it was

yes, it's not a huge deal and their right thinking is proving out, he leads them in PO points and a 2/0 series lead.

The only way they are proven right is if they win the cup, otherwise hr helped them about as much as he's helped us

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The only way they are proven right is if they win the cup, otherwise hr helped them about as much as he's helped us
ohhh,,,,, only if they win the cup,,hrmm,,,,, i see

well,,,, the 2 that dubass got,,,, did not even get us into the playoffs but Kadri did

he already won then

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
A matter of time Kadri gets himself suspended again.

Meanwhile in Leafs land, each of their young players can get run over until one of their star players ends up with a serious injury with no one even batting an eyelash.

Maybe you want to go back and watch game 2 of that Boston playoffs. What the refs did in that game was suspect. The fact that Boston even came out and felt they would be allowed to play like that was even worse.

Suspension or not, Kadri was the only player who stood up for anyone on that team. The rest of the Leafs continued to put their heads down and skate away each time they were mauled by Bruins players, with the refs turning a blind eye to everything.

Kadri aside, this trade was a terrible trade. The type of players Dubas decided to being bring in made no sense. I guess we get to keep watching Kerfoot skate from one end of the ice to another doing absolutely nothing of substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad