Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

Did the Leafs become a better team trading Kadri for Barrie+Kerfoot?

• Yes they did

• Absolutely not

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I understood why Kadri had to go, but I hated the trade when it happened...knew we lost the trade when it was made...we needed a young hard nose top-4 d man to grow with this core and we got a 1 year UFA rental in Barrie who can't play defense. This team needed size and toughness, and he got two smurfs in Barrie and Kerfoot...but boy, the analytics on these two guys must have looked good to Dubas...who needs to play the game on the ice when you could just look at a sheet, right? :sarcasm:

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Didn't work out as suspected, but the trade also isn't over yet.

Kadri was probably playing his best hockey since 2016-17, but also missed time with injury, but clearly emerged as the best of the three players in this trade this season.

Kerfoot was fine, but definitely didn't quite meet expectations, after two solid seasons in 17-18 & 18-19...still I thought the hate for him was overstated this season, and the longer he had to settle in, the better he looked (especially the play-ins). I'm expecting three solid seasons in the future.

Barrie was the big disappointment. Supposed to still have some kind of transitional ability, but it seems like any perceived proficiency in that area was more a product of playing in Colorado's system, and passing pucks to MacKinnon, and less an actual ability -- he rarely beat the F1 before trying to make passes, got forced outside and rarely attacked the middle. It turned him into a one-dimensional offensive zone player who didn't was ineffective until Keefe came in and let him do whatever he wanted in a sheltered role with PP time.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Didn't work out as suspected, but the trade also isn't over yet.

Kadri was probably playing his best hockey since 2016-17, but also missed time with injury, but clearly emerged as the best of the three players in this trade this season.

Kerfoot was fine, but definitely didn't quite meet expectations, after two solid seasons in 17-18 & 18-19...still I thought the hate for him was overstated this season, and the longer he had to settle in, the better he looked (especially the play-ins). I'm expecting three solid seasons in the future.

Barrie was the big disappointment. Supposed to still have some kind of transitional ability, but it seems like any perceived proficiency in that area was more a product of playing in Colorado's system, and passing pucks to MacKinnon, and less an actual ability -- he rarely beat the F1 before trying to make passes, got forced outside and rarely attacked the middle. It turned him into a one-dimensional offensive zone player who didn't was ineffective until Keefe came in and let him do whatever he wanted in a sheltered role with PP time.

We didn't need another smallish forward with little bite, let alone a smallish d man who can't play d. The trade was a disaster.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The team had progressively gone worse since Dubas became GM. He was better as assistant GM.
This is incorrect.
He signed Tavares, upgraded the D core with Muzzin and got some solid prospects.
Just because he traded the great Kadri, doesn't mean we became worse with him as GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfBlue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This seems like another thread to drum up the Kadri fan love. He failed and cost us twice in the playoffs. It was the right time to trade Kadri, but the pieces didn't work out, but Kerfoot is a solid 3C. Barrie's performance is what really ruined this trade.
We don't need or miss Kadri.

It's funny people focus on this bad trade, but don't say a word on the amazing Muzzin trade.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No they didn't but in Dubas's defence they needed RHD and Barrie was expected to gel with the up tempo Leafs. It just didn't work obviously. Kadri with his playoff gaffs didn't help but at time I think most thought it was decent deal.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I really struggle to understand how Dubas still has a job. He has single highhandedly caused great damage to what should be a great young team.

Reactions: Faltorvo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's funny people focus on this bad trade, but don't say a word on the amazing Muzzin trade.

It is all meaningless fuming right now and people are just grasping at anything to air their frustrations. Very people are displaying any kind of rationality right now, which is to be expected out of fans.

It'll calm down after a few weeks.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
The Kadri trade was about as bonehead as you can get. He traded something we already lacked (sand paper and grit) for essentially Kerfoot, who is basically more of the same, a buttercup. I get it because of the Tavares signing Kadri became expendable but I truly believe Tavares is overrrated. People talking about Kadri not winning anything plz let me know what Tavares has won? The Islanders got better with his departure and we've gotten progressively worse. I'd take Kadri and his contract as the 2nd line center over Tavares and his 11 mil. The Tavares contract also set the bar for the Matthews and Marner deals.

Reactions: definedMF

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Well, then you're basically down to Vancouver and the California teams.

Moot point anyway since that would be a bush league move for a GM to make. Kadri and his agent would tell the Leafs to stuff it.

Arranging a trade with Calgary without the player knowing, and then having that player reject the trade is worse. Dubas should have talked to Kadri first to see if he even wanted to go there because Calgary was on his list of teams that he can't be moved to without his permission. Dubas was bent on moving Kadri regardless, so he should have talked to him...the deal should have been to make the Leafs a better team, but he did a less favourable deal for the Leafs with Colorado just to get rid of Kadri.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Kadri trade was about as bonehead as you can get. He traded something we already lacked (sand paper and grit) for essentially Kerfoot, who is basically more of the same, a buttercup. I get it because of the Tavares signing Kadri became expendable but I truly believe Tavares is overrrated. People talking about Kadri not winning anything plz let me know what Tavares has won? The Islanders got better with his departure and we've gotten progressively worse. I'd take Kadri and his contract as the 2nd line center over Tavares and his 11 mil. The Tavares contract also set the bar for the Matthews and Marner deals.

Let's not blame Tavares here...it's the GM who is the problem.

Reactions: TmlHockeyFan

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It is all meaningless fuming right now and people are just grasping at anything to air their frustrations. Very people are displaying any kind of rationality right now, which is to be expected out of fans.

It'll calm down after a few weeks.
Lets hope so. For now we see silly posts like the one below. Imagine saying you would rather have a 2nd line C over an elite 1st line C. Glad Dubas is the GM over these fans.
I mean the logic to this post is cringe worthy. What exactly has Kadri won where people are crying we traded a hall of famer. Kadri is turning into one of the more overrated players in Leafs history.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm not blaming him but the results speak for themselves.
They only got better because of amazing goaltending and Trotz. Not because Tavares left.
Honestly Kadri is overrated anyway. What player suspends himself for selfish reasons twice?

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Besides Matthews, he played well. If only the rest of the guys train and play as hard as him.

He can train and play as hard as he can but that doesn't change the fact that he's slow and changed the team dynamic. 2 years in a row he tries deking guys standing still leading to costly turnovers/odd man rushes that ended up in the back of our net. He doesn't have the foot speed to makeup for stuff like that.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
They only got better because of amazing goaltending and Trotz. Not because Tavares left.
Honestly Kadri is overrated anyway. What player suspends himself for selfish reasons twice?

Didn't know sticking up for a veteran teammate is considered selfish. The refs completely lost the plot that game and that was the result... Kadri seeing red. I still give him props for that regardless of the outcome... something had to be done.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He can train and play as hard as he can but that doesn't change the fact that he's slow and changed the team dynamic. 2 years in a row he tries deking guys standing still leading to costly turnovers/odd man rushes that ended up in the back of our net. He doesn't have the foot speed to makeup for stuff like that.

You mean that goal by the CBJs where Rielly who is a defender had no business pinching in OT of game 3?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lets hope so. For now we see silly posts like the one below. Imagine saying you would rather have a 2nd line C over an elite 1st line C. Glad Dubas is the GM over these fans.
I mean the logic to this post is cringe worthy. What exactly has Kadri won where people are crying we traded a hall of famer. Kadri is turning into one of the more overrated players in Leafs history.

It's whatever. Let them vent.

It's one of the reasons I like to follow the Marlies and the Draft. You need to care a lot more than a casual fan to be that committed, so you do not get swarmed with people who know nothing... If there is the odd guy who knows nothing, it is easy to weed them out. With the Leafs, it is a hive mind.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
This seems like another thread to drum up the Kadri fan love. He failed and cost us twice in the playoffs. It was the right time to trade Kadri, but the pieces didn't work out, but Kerfoot is a solid 3C. Barrie's performance is what really ruined this trade.
We don't need or miss Kadri.

If Kadri cost us twice in the playoffs by getting suspended, then he must have been an integral piece to begin with, no?

Reactions: definedMF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad