Did signing Tavares lead to the Leafs' downfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Its bizarre to me how islanders fans mock the Leafs. Like, we couldn't care less about you, you gifted us a guy because of incompetent owners and management, he puts up 47 goals last year, a career high, and we still dont think about you. Have you guys thought about getting a 47 goal scorer? I hear they're good in the locker room.
Lol, tell us how you really feel.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No. Pretty much every GM in the league would have taken a top 10 center like Tavares. Those guys rarely become available.
The ‘we can and we will’ nonsense that followed was the issue. A trade of any or all of Nylander, Kadri and their 2020 first for a top defensive defenseman, a forward or two with some grit and a decent back up goalie would have created a much more balanced and effective team.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You guys don't care about us yet you reply to every post we make. It's hilarious and I would take playing winning hockey over having a 47 goal player in the lockerroom. LOL

Got to defend muh guy I guess. You guys should have another JT day I hear he is feeling a little depressed. Maybe give him the key to the city.
Winning hockey being?

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Winning hockey being?

You know that thing where you win more games than you lose.

giphy.gif

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Yuh broke my heart John Tuhvayriz!!! I loved you. You're dead to me, I never cared for you...SNAKE!!!
My son will neva weya the Tuhvayriz jersey I bequeethed him in my livin will.
I burned it!!!
I love you please come back
The Jersey was not burned, the name was just changed to Goring.
Which has zero to do with this thread. He is only a small part of the Leaf mess. Coaching and the GM have to take most of the blame.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Tavares signing didn't lead to the Leafs downfall, Nylander's did.

The guy held out until the final hour, and Toronto was still a top 3 offense without him, but he ended up getting more than MacKinnon, Barkov, Larkin, or Ehlers anyways.

Dubas pretty much put up a big sign for Matthews and Marner to read that he could get walked over.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
When you have the chance to add a player of his caliber, you do it. Every. Single. Time.

Players like him are literally almost never free agents, I can't even think of a comparable from the last 20 or so years.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I dont particularly think so but I think it did lead to some issues.

1) I think signing Tavares to 11mil a year caused Matthews and Marner to sign similar value contracts. When one guy makes that much on a team, its hard to ask similar type of players to sign for less. But its hard to know for sure that they would of got Marner/Matthews on cheaper contracts without Tavares.

2) I think they needed a better, more realistic plan once they signed Tavares. Dubas was bound and determined to keep everyone together. In hindsight, I think they probably had to make a decision to trade someone. I think trading Nylander before his holdout was probably the right move in hindsight but at the end of the day its hard to really fault Dubas for keeping the talent the leafs drafted.

3) At the end of the day they got everyone signed and made it work under the cap. Things should improve moving forward as the cap goes up, but they are going to have to make some decisions on their back end. Managing the cap is always going to be an issue for the majority of teams around the league.

Overall I think the Leafs are a good team. It takes time to win in the league for the most part. I think people probably just need to back off of the ledge a bit. Things could be worse for the leafs.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Tavares never struck me as a dynamic game-breaking player, but more like a dangerous guy around the net with suspect skating. As some other poster already said in the thread, they could have had a van Riemsdyk guy scoring a big chunk of those goals and kept Kadri. Marner, Matthews, Nylander all got more dynamic promise to their games but with a guy like Nylander you never know if it will happen. Since he's Michael Nylander's son, I would guess it probably won't happen, unless he's traded to a sub par team where he can be a bad team scorer.

Adding more projected offense on defense in Barrie was another full blown mystery.

That's not how it works though. Tavares is worth 11M$ and then some. Remember - he had been offered 13M$ he turned down - and likely could have gotten closer to 14 or more if he went for max money with any city.

What does it matter how much Tavares would have gotten in another city? How does that help the Leafs?

If the Leafs decide to move on and/or make a major change to team - they can trade Tavares away at any time with 0 retention for a top return (prospects, picks, established players - whatever you decide to go for).

Tavares at 11M is an extremely valuable asset in the NHL - and so the Leafs as much better off for having signed him than if they hadn't.

Doesn't he have a NMC?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As soon as Eichel signed for 10 M/year and McDavid 12.5M/year, Matthews and Marner were going to land in between that. (Well, Matthews for sure). EDM/BUF completely changed the RFA market, thats why BOS for example is lucky they got Pastrnak signed before those two, saved them an easy 3-4 million.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
yes. Tavares was a luxury they could not afford to have and they still bought it.

they didn't need Tavares to be successful. Having Matthews, Kadri down the middle would have been fine.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I liked the signing at the time, and Tavares has held up his end of the bargain very well. In retrospect, he might have been one shiny toy too many. We probably would have been better off signing Kadri and spending the rest of the movey on free agent defensemen. I think Kadri has been a real serious loss.

Reactions: leeroggy

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Those RFA contracts that were so far outside historical market contracts are the biggest issue. The cap limitations the team is experiencing stem more from those contracts than the reasonable (for an UFA contract) that Tavares signed. Every team in the league would pay Tavares that money and shuffle other players to make room, if they could attract him as an UFA.

Secondly is the imbalanced roster, due again to cap limitations that exist because of non-market RFA deals to Marner, Matthews and Nylander. Signing Tavares as UFA should have given the flexibility to trade Nylander, even for a value-lost return would be acceptable if it addressed a team need and balanced the roster better. In other words, cap space is a commodity.

I’m obviously much more well acquainted with my team, St Louis. The GM there gave a recent interview that outlined the front office philosophy to have more depth and lower salary structure. He did mention that he’d willingly pay a superstar superstar dollars. But he said there are only a handful of players in the league in that category. He then made a comment that I took as a direct opinion about Toronto, without naming names. To paraphrase, he said that some teams are paying superstar contracts to players that haven’t proven to be superstars, that they are ‘media creations’ to some degree.

I don’t want to put words in his mouth (this was in the Athletic), but I do think the front office approach between Toronto and St Louis couldn’t be more opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad