OT: Did anyone in your family fight in world war II for canada?

Did anyone in your family fight in world war II for canada?

• Total voters

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
How do you think we ended up with all those blue eyed blondes on the prairie's ? Google "where did the Allies house their Nazi POW's in Canada"

I have lived in rural Saskatchewan. That's interesting. I always assumed it was from the early Ukrainian settlers from hundreds of years ago. Must be a mix of both then.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
My uncle commanded a tank in the army. He was looking out from the hatch of the turret when he was shot by a German sniper. He was extraordinarily fortunate, however, as the bullet passed through his neck without hitting either his spine or the jugular, either of which would have killed him. My wife’s grandfather was an orderly (medic) in the British army in WW I. He had some fascinating stories to tell.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
WW2 - Canada and Britain.

During the first world war, my GGF (born in Britain) left Canada to go volunteer for Britain. Survived a number of battles until he was wounded too badly to continue at the Somme. Would have been blown to bits had it not been for a gift of Christmas cake newly received from his Mum.

Footnote to the story, he was carried to the first tent hospital and told to keep going - no room. A minute or two later it was blown to smithereens. Spent the next two years and change recovering. When he recovered, moved back to Canada and eventually took work in New York and DC on major building projects. Had to look some video up of some of those projects, and the phrase, They don't make 'em like that anymore was never more true to men of that generation.

Reactions: AvroArrow

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Grandfathers and Great Grandfathers, one was in both. To be fair though almost every country was involved so it's unlikely to not have people that were involved.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am a 6th generation Canadian as far as I know I hit a brick wall in my family tree at about 1796.

That's a good chunk of time, impressive! Does anyone have family history from prior to the 1700's or late 1600's? The only people with longer seem to have ties to large clans or royal families everyone else got amnesia. jk,

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
That's a good chunk of time, impressive! Does anyone have family history from prior to the 1700's or late 1600's? The only people with longer seem to have ties to large clans or royal families everyone else got amnesia. jk,

Definitely not royalty but my first ancestor to set foot on this continent arrived in Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1636. Of course, any old stock Quebecois are likely from families who arrived before 1760. If this were a Habs board, there would likely be lots of such people. And any First Nations people on the board can laugh at us Johnny Come Latelies. Their history on this land simply dwarfs that of latecomers like my own family

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No but my great grandfather fought for the Italians

My grandfather was in the British army and fought throughout North Africa and Italy, good thing they didn't meet :laugh:

My nanny was in the RAF during the Battle of Britain and my other grandfather was with the RNZAF in the Pacific theatre

Had a great grandfather on the Western Front during the first world war as well, I was old enough to hear him talk about the trenches

Jesus that sounded grim

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I can trace one side of the family back to the early 1400's, they lived around the Wrexham area in North Wales

leafsleafs

Jul 12, 2006
Here
Yes.

Dad was in the British Navy in WWII.

Never got fired upon.

His story was that he and his pilot crash landed in Cuba, a neutral country while on exercises in the Atlantic early in the war. They were met eventually by a group of soldiers, headed by a British gentleman, who’s first words were “How’s it going, chaps?”

Technacially a POW, said he never ate so good. Never told me much more than that, but I kind of think he was disappointed when the Cubans gave him back.

Did lose an uncle on the Murmansk run.

Then Dad did another 18 years with the Canadian Navy, retired from there in 68.

Last edited:
Reactions: moon111

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
I am a 9th generation Canadian and descendant of United Empire Loyalists - colonists who left the American colonies for British North America before/during the American Revolution.

Both of my grandfathers participated in WW2, though not on the front lines. One was an aircraft mechanic. The other was the navigator on a maritime patrol aircraft, hunting for u-boats.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
My grandfather was too young for WW1 and too old for WW2. He helped trained officers for WW2.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I can trace one side of the family back to the early 1400's, they lived around the Wrexham area in North Wales

My mother's maternal side is american. Came to massachusetts in the early/mid 1600's. Last name Savage. Family was oldschool steel & banking money pre great depression apparently. Grandmother grew up very wealthy in Boston and met/married a farm boy from Peterborough while vacationing summers in Bobcaygeon

Reactions: moon111 and Kiwi

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
My maternal grandfather drove trucks for the army (in Canada) during the war. My paternal grandfather served overseas, in Newfoundland, repairing bombers. He stayed in the Air Force for another 30 years after the war and served in multiple postings overseas.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
My one Grandfather enlisted. Then because he was colour blind and had emphysema was told that he couldn't serve.
My other Grandfather enlisted, trained as a reserve, but never saw action.

I guess it's no.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm related to Lord Darnley Stewart, the first husband of Mary, Queen of Scots.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Fourth generation.

One grandfather was too old for WWI, and the other was gassed at Ypres (it took 50 years, but the gas finally killed him). Dad was a 'D-day dodger', fought all through Sicily and Italy, and then in Holland and Germany.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Had a grandpa who was in the Pacific as under US Army Air Corp. His unit was part of the 13th air force( 339th Fighter Squadron) took down Admiral Yamamoto's plane(Operation Vengeance). He was mechanic though but he had funny stories on the different islands he was on.
339_Fighter_Sq_emblem.png

Last edited:

GreyParrot

Mar 13, 2014
Grandfather was a tail gunner in a Lancaster bomber - parachute flare went off right beside the plane and damaged his eyes, was nearly blind until the eighties and laser surgery became widely available. One great uncle was in a recce outfit and lost an arm in the liberation of the Netherlands.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
My british grandfather was an officer in training. Eventually became a lieutenant for the Artillery regiment (Forget it's actual name). He actively chose this because he was strong in mathematics at the time. So it helped him properly aim aswell as project where and how the shells would pass through the air.
He was first in North Africa. He then got moved to Italy where he fought in the great battle of Monte Cassino.
220px-NZ_artillery_25_pounder_Korea_1951_%28AWM_HOBJ2238%29.jpg

(Photo doesn't have him in it, just googled the specific type of mobile artillery he controlled)

My Grandmother was part of a group of young women who worked out Norway I believe. Their primary duty was intercepting german transmissions, cracking the code, then relaying the gathered information to the allied forces.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2