OT: Did anyone in your family fight in world war II for canada?

Did anyone in your family fight in world war II for canada?

• Total voters

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Kinda yes/kinda no. My grandfather was a horse groomer for soldiers and took care of them and cleaned their hooves, brushed there hair etc but wasn't on the front line firing rifles.

Reactions: AvroArrow

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
My Grandfather was a motorcycle despatch rider who served in the Netherlands during the battle of the Scheldt Peninsula in WW2.

I remember him telling me a story of how he narrowly evaded a V-1 flying bomb.
That’s what my Great Grandfather did. It was a dangerous job.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I don't know if you're aware of this, but the Canadian Archives website has a search engine of the war records of all 600,000 Canadians from the first war. Medical records, where they served, the whole deal. It's a tremendous resource for filling in some of the blanks you might have on your great-grandfather.

Is there anything similar for Canadians who fought in the second war?

Reactions: Garthinater

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
My grandfather didn’t fight. Apparently the service thought so highly of him that they kept him to train and develop all four branches of the military. He was first and foremost the sergeant for the artillery, then navy, and then airforce. The one I’m trying to remember off the top of my head were the soldiers on the ground. I’d have to ask my mom.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I don't know if you're aware of this, but the Canadian Archives website has a search engine of the war records of all 600,000 Canadians from the first war. Medical records, where they served, the whole deal. It's a tremendous resource for filling in some of the blanks you might have on your great-grandfather.

Worth noting that other governments have similar resources:

Russian Imperial Army in World War I: Первая мировая война::Поиск документов по героям

Soviet Army in World War II: ОБД Мемориал

The Austrian State Library has also digitized casualty lists from the Austro-Hungarian Army in WWI and made them searchable. Just do a search of a name in the search box: Oö Landesbibliothek

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
It's remembrance day. Please support our veterans by wearing a poppy on your jacket or by donating to your local charity.

Reactions: ITM

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
Been thinking a lot about this now.

can anyone help me identify theses medals and what they Represent? TIA
upload_2020-11-11_19-40-58.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-11_19-40-58.png
    upload_2020-11-11_19-40-58.png
    968.6 KB · Views: 2

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
Last edited:

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Grandfather was a tail gunner. He told a story that towards the end of the war they were flying through thick clouds for cover. Once coming out of the clouds they realized a German plane right next to them, so he and the German gunner both aimed at each other ready to fire...paused...and then waved.

Everyone knew the war was almost over and wanted to make it home.

Other Grandpa was an electrical engineer and trained others here in Ontario. I think it was Borden, not 100% sure though

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Both my uncle(Italy) and father(France/Holland) fought overseas, my dad came back his brother didn't

They were both Italian speakers and my uncle volunteered to be parachuted into Italy as part of the advance to help coordinate with the Italian resistance for the eventual invasion of Italy. He and a few other guys were ambushed by a German patrol hunting for resistance one night and all were killed. My dad never took a scratch.

Last edited:

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
my grandfather sunk nazi uboats on a canadian destroyer called a corvette. dropped squid depth charges and destroyed 13 uboats. he never talked much about the war but he said it was very scary putting around on a boat in the middle of the ocean

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
I was looking for my Dad's a couple of years ago. Apparently privacy issues.

maybe they should make you sign in with your social insurance number if you're going to search for a specific name? I have no idea.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
In reference to the what generation Canadian are you topic that a mod merged into this one for some reason, I did all of the leg work for my patrilineal family tree but hit a brick wall in 1796. In a census that asks you for your racial origin he simply listed it as "Scotch". He listed his place of birth as Nova Scotia. I think my only option now is to physically go to some churches in Nova Scotia and ask to look through any old paperwork they might still have. I already have the link between Scotland and mainland Europe, but I'd like to be able to connect all the dots.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Is there anything similar for Canadians who fought in the second war?

Not yet. I think there are privacy concerns because some of the WWII vets are still alive. The WWI records, for instance, show everything, including if a soldier was treated for STDs or were disciplined, that type of thing.

Reactions: brhymes19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad