OT: Did anyone in your family fight in world war II for canada?

Did anyone in your family fight in world war II for canada?

• Total voters

Davey88

Sep 13, 2019
I hope I'm not to new to add to this discussion. But, my grandmother was a nurse and my grandfather was a soldier on WW I. Its also during that time, how they met :).

Reactions: moon111

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
My great grand uncle fought for Canada in World War One. I remember my grandfather taking me to see him when I was a child. He was gassed by the Germans but survived, though he was bed-ridden.

Reactions: moon111

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
One relative left his arm in France. He was upset they had to risk their lives, since the Allies had already made a crossing further downstream and if they would just wait a second, they could cross with ease. Arm was torn off with a high caliber machine gun, he pretended to be dead, floating in the water. The rest were killed.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
My uncle won the Distinguished Service Medal for bravery in saving shipmates. He also won five other medals. He stayed in the RCN after the war, and when he died they named a building after him at HMCS Stadacona.

His older brother also served in the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps in action in Europe in WWII, and brought an English war bride home with him after the war.

Last edited:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
My great grandfather landed on Juno beach. I remember him telling us the story of when he was on his way there, he was sitting on the outside of his Higgins boat. The guy next to him was getting sea sick so my great grandfather offered to switch places. No more than 30 seconds after the guy he traded seats with was shot in the head and killed. My great grandfather would go on to help secure a footing on the beach

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
My british grandfather was an officer in training. Eventually became a lieutenant for the Artillery regiment (Forget it's actual name). He actively chose this because he was strong in mathematics at the time. So it helped him properly aim aswell as project where and how the shells would pass through the air.
He was first in North Africa. He then got moved to Italy where he fought in the great battle of Monte Cassino.
220px-NZ_artillery_25_pounder_Korea_1951_%28AWM_HOBJ2238%29.jpg

(Photo doesn't have him in it, just googled the specific type of mobile artillery he controlled)

My Grandmother was part of a group of young women who worked out Norway I believe. Their primary duty was intercepting german transmissions, cracking the code, then relaying the gathered information to the allied forces.
That looks like a 25-pounder, which is what my dad used. RCHA (Royal Canadian Horse Artillery), and he was at Monte Cassino too.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
My great grandfather fought in Burma (Myanmar) My grandmother was born there, both my parents born in India, and then me and my brother born in Toronto

My paternal grandmother was a medic during WW2

Reactions: Kazparov

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
My great grand uncle fought for Canada in World War One. I remember my grandfather taking me to see him when I was a child. He was gassed by the Germans but survived, though he was bed-ridden.
Ya, my grandfather (on my mother's side) was gassed during WW1 as well. Had respiratory issues his entire life.

I had several uncles (father's side) who fought in WW2. One was killed. Another uncle was a RCAF pilot.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
My grandfather was a sniper in WWII and fought in the African and Sicilian/Italian campaigns. He met my grandmother while stationed in England where she was a nurse and part of the women's defense force, which was literally going to be the last line of defense if the Germans invaded England. My great uncles fought too but I'm fuzzy on the details. I actually managed to find my grandfathers transcripts from the war. Most counties still have them archived.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
My grandpa (a Canadian) was a tank driver in WWII. When the war ended he was in England waiting to go back to canada and met my grandma there. Two weeks later they were married, and she moved to Canada with him 7 months later.
They were married for 73 years before she past away.
My grandpa is still alive at 102 years old, and strong as ox, although he lost most of his hearing during the war.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I've always found it ironic that the most military-obsessed country doesn't wear poppies. Guess not recognizing commonwealth traditions is more important.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I've always found it ironic that the most military-obsessed country doesn't wear poppies. Guess not recognizing commonwealth traditions is more important.
The poppy was proposed Port Arthur, Ontario.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Great grandfather was born in Cork, Ireland, fought for Britain in WW2. Father in law fought in France near the end of WW2. Other great grandfather was born in the Netherlands and endured the Nazi occupation.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
My grandpa (a Canadian) was a tank driver in WWII. When the war ended he was in England waiting to go back to canada and met my grandma there. Two weeks later they were married, and she moved to Canada with him 7 months later.
They were married for 73 years before she past away.
My grandpa is still alive at 102 years old, and strong as ox, although he lost most of his hearing during the war.
My mom was engaged to an RAF officer, who was here trailing Canadian pilots, but he was called back and was killed in the Battle of Britain. She met my dad at a "welcome back" party by friends of my dad's parents, who just happened to invite a neighborhood girl.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Not Canadian but: My Opa was taken by the germans from his home and was brought to an old school house along with a bunch of other young men. They were forced to dig trenches throughout the Netherlands.

He managed to escape along with a few friends and they hid at a farm for the next few months.

There's a book about it but its in Dutch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad