Did ANA make a mistake starting Bernier tonight?

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Who even dressed as the backup tonight? Frickin Enroth? Enroth is ****ing horrible, no way I'd start him over Bernier. Enroth is a brutal goaltender, outside of a couple random years, like when he was sheltered with the Kings last year.

Andersen was an RFA this past offseason too, if I recall correctly? Wouldn't have been possible for cap reasons alone.

I still think Gibson will be the better goalie, even if he's very injury prone.

Enroth was 16 and 7 with a .922 just two year prior. Hes not the worst.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bernier is garbage. Sure he will look good a game here and there, but he's literally garbage.

Mentally weak, slow to react, undersized compared to most goalies. It's always "that woulda been a tough save" with him as opposed to "what a save!" . Dude just never makes the big saves and that's why he's a career backup.

Speaking of Gibson comparisons to Price, Bernier was getting some pretty weird comparisons himself about a decade ago.

I remember my friend showing me a trade proposal on here about 8-9 years ago, which was Brodeur for Bernier and Voynov and maybe someone else from LA at the time. Forgot who it was, it wasn't anybody that was all that great. The rationale was that Brodeur would soon be declining and Bernier was only 20 years old and the next best thing. And that Brodeur could push their young core towards a cup before he went out. This was before they really thought Quick would become anything or that maybe Quick would take over after Brodeur.

They were really high on Bernier in LA early on. He was also the highest drafted goalie in 2006.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Bernier disappoints. This is playoff hockey. You got to make some good stops
Rinne was outstanding. That was the difference

Looking forward to Nashville and their mystery anthem singers at the Stanley Cup games

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Bernier's not the guy you want in net if you want to win a playoff series. If Gibson was in net last night Anaheim would have won.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Gibson is too fragile. He is constantly hurt and the team needed him big time last night.

Without Rinne, Ducks would have won last night. Bernier needed to make 1 game-impacting save and he didn't. Ducks as a team could not take advantage of Smashville missing RyJo/Fiala/Smith.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Considering what Bernier did down the stretch to propel the ducks to a division title, I am sure they were confident in starting him.

On a side note, good job by the Ducks defending a 2 on 4 which led to the game winner.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Considering what Bernier did down the stretch to propel the ducks to a division title, I am sure they were confident in starting him.

On a side note, good job by the Ducks defending a 2 on 4 which led to the game winner.

This needs to be emphasized. Too much blame on Bernier and not enough on the Ducks defensive zone coverage. The other goal where both Sissons and Aberg were left alone in front of the net taking multiple whacks at the puck was also poor coverage as was the own goal.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
That is why Anaheim needed to keep Andersen, Gibson was shaky at times too. But you need a solid back-up, a reliable one. Bernier is barely that. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Ducks go heavy after Chad Johnson.

It's hard to hold onto good back ups. Back ups that can be starters tend to want to be starters and push for that. Kings had let go of Bernier(who was considered started material at the time) and Jones for that very reason. Neither Bernier nor Jones were going to stick around to be second banana to Quick his whole career. Back ups are usually veteran guys for that reason.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Bernier disappoints. This is playoff hockey. You got to make some good stops
Rinne was outstanding. That was the difference

Looking forward to Nashville and their mystery anthem singers at the Stanley Cup games

one of the goals that got past Rinne was incredibly soft. (the one that glanced off his mask and down his back into the net)

The difference was that Nashville was able to create some late surges and the Ducks couldn't match that effort. (don't try telling us that the 4th goal on Bernier was soft)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That pseudo Andersen for Bernier-trade is one of the worst ones in recent memory.

one of the goals that got past Rinne was incredibly soft. (the one that glanced off his mask and down his back into the net)

The difference was that Nashville was able to create some late surges and the Ducks couldn't match that effort. (don't try telling us that the 4th goal on Bernier was soft)

Well, it certainly was soft... By Kesler.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
That pseudo Andersen for Bernier-trade is one of the worst ones in recent memory.

Well, it certainly was soft... By Kesler.

If all you take into account is Bernier and Andersen sure, but we got Sam Steel with that 1st so value wise it was great for us.

Whether we chose the right goalie between Freddie and Gibson is certainly up for debate though.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Gibson would have played if he could have. The fact he sat out tells me Gibson would have been worse. It's heartbreaking as a Ducks fan, considering Anaheim dominated the game, but they went with the injury prone guy over Andersen. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad