Did ANA make a mistake starting Bernier tonight?

Exquisite

Feb 9, 2016
With how easily Anaheim was entering the zone.. pulling Bernier at 2:30 down 1 goal was stupid

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
He's suppose to be in the same category as Price...I'm not even kidding...dead serious...that was the hype on him

He's 23 years old... and he did he lose this game or something?? He was injured. What the **** am I reading?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I always felt Bernier was the type of goalie who played better the more shots he faced. You feel that softy is coming and it seems more likely the less he gets to work.

He's not a backup IMO.

Why did Carlyle pull him with what like 2:30 in an elimination game down one goal?

That was really stupid. I know it's become trendy to pull goalies with more and more time left over the years but it's one goal in a crazy game. I would've waited until the last minute!

If he's not a backup, I'm not sure what he is, because he only had one good year as a starter. I'm sure he can start for stretches and perform fine, like he did at the end of this season. And there are definitely a few starters I'd take him over.

I'm not sure why he pulled him so early, thought it was a suspect move. Especially with how dominant they had been up to that point. I would have rolled the dice a little longer with just 5 attackers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think this game is a case of a goalie playing very poor on paper but not quite as poor on the eye test.

He let in at least one bad goal, maybe two bad goals. It wasn't quite as bad as it looked on paper. A couple bad breaks that he had no chance on.

I did say the series probably ended once Gibson was injured though. He was their best player in the series and had been on fire since game 7 against Edmonton.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
With how easily Anaheim was entering the zone.. pulling Bernier at 2:30 down 1 goal was stupid

This, I have a problem with this and I saw it from my own team several times over the last few seasons (Sharks). When you have a team that's dominating, adding the extra man seems as likely to hurt as to help. Team has to start playing not to give up the easy goal, and there's less room to make plays on the ice. If the team is already getting chances, IMO you only pull the goalie for the last few gasps.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I found it interesting Carlyle's phrasing, saying that after the morning skate, "Gibson informed them he was unavailable." He said it that way twice.

Normally a coach would say something like, "He tried to go, but just couldn't." Or, "the medical staff told us he was unavailable."

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
No choice with Gibson out with a hammy, but he ****ing buried us. Tough to crap on him given the fire he was thrown into, but it sure does suck right now.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If Gibson could have played, he would've.

Not sure why Bernier is getting the blame. None of those goals were that bad.

Bernier is getting paid 4 million/season. He is an NHL goaltender aspiring to be a starter somewhere. That entails more than only stopping "goals that were bad". You need to have all the easy saves, the vast majority of the regular saves, and a solid portion of the very tough saves, and even a few of the mind-blowing saves.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The goals weren't atrocious, so this thread is a little overboard, on top of there being absolutely nothing (zero, zilch) to support the OPs premise of there being any chance that Gibson could have played.

Any notion about Andersen after the season Gibson had is just emotional-drunkenness and doesn't even merit a material response at this place and time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad