Did ANA make a mistake starting Bernier tonight?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I don't know what happened to John Gibson, but considering I heard earlier today I thought he was gonna start, did they make a mistake?

I don't know how hurt he was, but is it crazy to suggest a less than 100 percent Gibson couldn't have fared any worse than what we saw from a healthy Bernier?

Because for all the shots and stuff the Ducks and dominating the game and whatnot, Bernier looked like a deer in the headlights.

The 4 Nashville goals he allowed (not counting the empty netters) were.... very shaky.

Outside of his relief stint in the Calgary comeback at the Saddledome earlier these playoffs, the way Bernier played at times kinda made me think if Anaheim made a mistake in trading Frederik Andersen.

Duck fans, I think if Frederik was playing, this series would be going to a game 7?

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
No, gibson tore a muscle in the last game he was never going to start. Was just a ******** shell game by Carlyle which didn't fool many.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
In fairness to him, the first goal went off his own defenseman. Doubt he could have saved that one. But the other three he did let in were weak. Especially that 5 hole one, I think it was Sissons second goal.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
1st goal deflected in off of his own defensemen who inexplicably angles his skate towards the goal, and then the 4th goal is a great play and an even better shot.

Should have stopped goals 2 and 3, but Gibson was in no shape to play tonight. Guy looked like he could hardly skate this morning and was only on the ice for 6 minutes.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
How did this go from a should Bernier have started thread to a hypothetical about Andersen still being with the Ducks thread, all within a few sentences? Rather impressive.

Gibson would have started if he could have. Clearly his injury was too severe.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
In fairness to him, the first goal went off his own defenseman. Doubt he could have saved that one. But the other three he did let in were weak. Especially that 5 hole one, I think it was Sissons second goal.

Puck came right through his crease. He should gotten a stick on that pretty easily. That goal is on him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It was obvious that they eventually were gonna have to choose between Gibson and Andersen at some point, and I think they made the right choice in choosing Gibson and taking the first round pick for Andersen.

Bernier is probably a fine backup, but I wouldn't trust him in playoff games if I had a choice and he stunk as a starter, outside of his first year in Toronto.

I thought the Sissons goal that went 5 hole (third Preds goal?) was weak. Maybe even the second Preds goal too. First goal was a weird bounce and I don't think he had much of a chance on the game winner.

hermes20

Aug 6, 2010
Outside of his relief stint in the Calgary comeback at the Saddledome earlier these playoffs, the way Bernier played at times kinda made me think if Anaheim made a mistake in trading Frederik Andersen.

Duck fans, I think if Frederik was playing, this series would be going to a game 7?

If Frederik was a our goalie, we don't even make it to this series, let alone game 7.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It was obvious that they eventually were gonna have to choose between Gibson and Andersen at some point, and I think they made the right choice in choosing Gibson and taking the first round pick for Andersen.

Bernier is probably a fine backup, but I wouldn't trust him in playoff games if I had a choice and he stunk as a starter, outside of his first year in Toronto.

I thought the Sissons goal that went 5 hole (third Preds goal?) was weak. Maybe even the second Preds goal too. First goal was a weird bounce and I don't think he had much of a chance on the game winner.
Basically this, if we woulda signed andersen we likely lose 1 of lindholm rakell or vatanen... was kinda a tough spot but gibson is a good goalie he is just made of glass.

Realistically no chance we coulda kept andersen

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ducks made a huge mistake keeping Gibson in the first place. Should have traded Gibson for huge return and kept Andersen. Better goalie and they would have had a huge return on a (generational) label goalie that Gibson has.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Never understood the Gibson hype. He's so overrated in big games. He isn't much better than Hiller in those situations.

Andersen is a big game goalie and huge mistake by the Ducks.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

I always felt Bernier was the type of goalie who played better the more shots he faced. You feel that softy is coming and it seems more likely the less he gets to work.

He's not a backup IMO.

Why did Carlyle pull him with what like 2:30 in an elimination game down one goal?

That was really stupid. I know it's become trendy to pull goalies with more and more time left over the years but it's one goal in a crazy game. I would've waited until the last minute!

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He's suppose to be in the same category as Price...I'm not even kidding...dead serious...that was the hype on him

Price at 23 was a lot more impressive. That being said as a a Habs fan, I know what a rushed goalie looks like, and I know what they can become. You never know with Gibson.

PCDiesel

Jun 17, 2011
Boston, MA
Never understood the Gibson hype. He's so overrated in big games. He isn't much better than Hiller in those situations.

Andersen is a big game goalie and huge mistake by the Ducks.

Big game goalie? You must not forget the WCF against the blackhawks

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who even dressed as the backup tonight? Frickin Enroth? Enroth is ****ing horrible, no way I'd start him over Bernier. Enroth is a brutal goaltender, outside of a couple random years, like when he was sheltered with the Kings last year.

Basically this, if we woulda signed andersen we likely lose 1 of lindholm rakell or vatanen... was kinda a tough spot but gibson is a good goalie he is just made of glass.

Realistically no chance we coulda kept andersen
Andersen was an RFA this past offseason too, if I recall correctly? Wouldn't have been possible for cap reasons alone.

I still think Gibson will be the better goalie, even if he's very injury prone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad